Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica 50mm f/1.9 M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Yashica 50mm f/1.9 M42 Reply with quote

Is it any good? Can it be used on my Pentax K-5?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one for a while, works fine on the K-5 and is a pretty decent lens. The only problem you'll run into is the lack of auto/manual switch for the aperture. You either need a special adapter that presses in the aperture pin or you need to find some other way to hold it down.

I ended up just gluing the pin down on mine.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Might give it a try then. Will the focus work from close to infinity too?

Would this be a good adapter?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Focus-Infinity-M42-Lens-Mount-Adapter-For-PK-Pentax-K10D-K20D-KM-K7-K200D-TR-/310728079180?pt=AU_FILM_CAMERAS&hash=item4858d6374c

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mimik wrote:
Thanks. Might give it a try then. Will the focus work from close to infinity too?

Yes, all M42 lenses will focus to infinity with the right adapter.

Mimik wrote:

Would this be a good adapter?

If you are OK with gluing the pin down it will work, if you don't hold the aperture pin down the lens will stay wide open. I prefer to remove the clip on those cheap ones because they have a tendency get get stuck in the body.

To have full aperture control without modifying the lens you'd need an adapter like this Kipon one.
http://www.kipon-usa.com/kipon-m42-lens-to-pentax-p-k-camera-body-adapter-with-inner-ring.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Then I might just glue it down like you did.

I also have a Helios 44-2 with M42 mount. Should be fun to play with.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a very good, and under-rated lens I think.
Usually can be found very cheaply.
Produces results very similar to other good quality 50mm lenses of the period.
Here are some samples taken on K-10D
OH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For overall image quality I definitely couldn't fault mine, it was a pretty solid performer even wide open, it was just lacking character. It just didn't have anything that made it stand out against my other 50s.