Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Possible prototype of 8 element Takumar 50mm F1.4 lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Possible prototype of 8 element Takumar 50mm F1.4 lens Reply with quote

I just purchased this on Ebay from a seller in Japan. I was struck by the configuration of the depth of field index; I've never seen an R on the red line before on a 50mm 1.4 lens. I was also struck by the low serial number (1063080). I could not resist. I got into a bidding war and won it for $283--maybe the other bidder also saw a historical importance in this lens. I've received it a few days ago. What I first noticed was the silky smooth focus ring; having gotten used to the siffer rings of my other Taks, I first thought it was broken. It looks and works fine. I just have to retrain my fingers to focus properly and I getting better results with practice.

My question is has anyone else seen a Tak 50mm 1.4 with the above features (the "R", the low serial no. and the easy/smooth focus ring)? I know the index configuration exists on other Tak lens. I am thinking that since the lens was located in Japan that maybe it is a prototype or limited 1st run for the Japanese market with the configuration difference made to distinguish it from those made in the main production run or runs. But this is pure speculation on my part.

The pictures were taken with a 7 element 50mm 1.4 tak. I tried to compare images head to head, and the 7 element was definitely sharper, but the gap is closing as I get better focusing the 8 element lens. There is no yellowing of the lens elements. I own a "standard" 8 element 50mm 1.4 so I did a weight comparison. All three are Super Takumars, pre mulit coating inscriptions. The 7 element came in at 137 grams; my other 8 element came in at 142g and the subject lens came in at 141g. The 1 gram diff may be significant, I will need to purchase a second scale to compare results again but I think my scale is accurate.

Regards to everyone, hoping to receive some feedback on this, my first post. I will post pics from the 8 element when I have a chance and the weather cooperates.

Last edited by ccrosa00 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:34 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible prototype of 8 element Takumar 50mm F1.4 lens Reply with quote

Since images don't appear for your first post on the forum as an anti-spam protection, here they are.

ccrosa00 wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would not be the only lens Pentax ever made that had a small run of an initial design followed by a change. The 15mm 3.5 in original K mount had a small (maybe as few as 100) run with an aspherical element before Pentax realized that it was too expensive to keep making. So they changed it and there is a slight marking difference on the two that indicates the change. This could be something similar.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prototype is a lofty assumption, imho. I see no reason to believe it's anything other than a very minor cosmetic change. Yours may be certainly be one of the first 8-element 1.4/50s but personally I wouldn't describe it as limited. It's an R vs. no R marking. They also had a font change on the nameplate during the production but those aren't really considered different lenses or from different batches.

I think the year it was produced, '64, began with the serial 766000 so there's definitely the potential for earlier ones. Are prototypes even serialed by Pentax? Perhaps someone else knows? A smoother focus could mean that the old lube has held up well (not strange at all for a Takumar!) or that it was re-lubed at some point.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see much difference other than the R.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats on the rare find!
It certainly is the only 8 element Tak I see that has the 'R' printed, and it also looks in great condition! I believe that the earlier Preset and Auto Takumars did not have any infrared markings at all. My guess is that this lens is one of the very first batch of the 8 element Takumar and that soon the markings changed to a red line only.

once I showed a copy here that has most characteristics of the 8 element but actually turned out to be a 7 element, seems to be a transitional piece: http://forum.mflenses.com/hybrid-3rd-version-of-super-takumar-f1-4-50mm-t55617.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Possible prototype of 8 element Takumar 50mm F1.4 lens Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I agree thinking this a prototype was too much wishful thinking. However, adding the R impacted the configuration of the Depth of Field Index. To make it look balanced the white lines are twice as long as those on other 8 element lens and correspondingly the numbers are half as tall. Maybe this added to the cost of production as it probably required greater precision to paint the smaller numbers--who knows? But as a novice collector of Takumar lens I am happy to know that this is probably a very early and small run of this lens with this cosmetic modification.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good observation. I guess they made it like this to accommodate the 'R' marking at a 'different level' than the f stop markings on the depth of field index and the theory that soon they figured to better leave the 'R' out to make space for bigger f stop markings makes much sense.
whichever way, it is the only 8 element known to have this cosmetic appearance, certainly you are rightfully excited to have it!
Most of all go out in shoot with it! My 'transitional piece' is an outstanding performer, though quite sure optically 'only' a 7 element it trumped my 7 element in a test I performed, arguably even the 8 element. I bet that your's is excellent, IQ control in the first batch might even have been tighter than for later copies

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Possible prototype of 8 element Takumar 50mm F1.4 lens Reply with quote

ccrosa00 wrote:
The 7 element came in at 137 grams; my other 8 element came in at 142g and the subject lens came in at 141g.
... sure?

The weight can be the ultimate test for all 8 elements Tak, if I'm not mistaken, I think they are exactly 245 grams.
Happy shots!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Possible prototype of 8 element Takumar 50mm F1.4 lens Reply with quote

anktonio wrote:
ccrosa00 wrote:
The 7 element came in at 137 grams; my other 8 element came in at 142g and the subject lens came in at 141g.
... sure?

The weight can be the ultimate test for all 8 elements Tak, if I'm not mistaken, I think they are exactly 245 grams.
Happy shots!

Yep.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Possible prototype of 8 element Takumar 50mm F1.4 lens Reply with quote

ccrosa00 wrote:
...I will need to purchase a second scale to compare results...

as others just pointed out, this will be a good idea Wink
actually should get an accurate scale myself to check out my copies

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R is for infrared phototography

Quote:
When taking infra-red photographs, the focal point shifts slightly, and therefore, the lens must be extended accordingly. The difference varies depending on the lens, and it is indicated by the small "R" index or short orange line. In infra-red photography, use this infra-red index. First, focus your lens on your subject. Determine the lens-to-subject distance from the distance scale. Then match your "R" mark by turning the distance scale accordingly. Like the photo at left, if your subject is in focus at infinity, turn the distance ring and move infinity mark to the "R" index. Also, remember to use an R2 (red) or O2 (orange) filter and special infra-red film in this special photography.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats on the buy, gorgeous copy for the age judging from the pics! I have one of the later 8-element variants but haven't really thoroughly ascertained the difference in optics to the 7-element version.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nurkov wrote:
R is for infrared phototography

Quote:
When taking infra-red photographs, the focal point shifts slightly, and therefore, the lens must be extended accordingly. The difference varies depending on the lens, and it is indicated by the small "R" index or short orange line. In infra-red photography, use this infra-red index. First, focus your lens on your subject. Determine the lens-to-subject distance from the distance scale. Then match your "R" mark by turning the distance scale accordingly. Like the photo at left, if your subject is in focus at infinity, turn the distance ring and move infinity mark to the "R" index. Also, remember to use an R2 (red) or O2 (orange) filter and special infra-red film in this special photography.

Thanks for the contribution, but the question isn't what the 'R' is for, but why this lens is the only known copy to have an 'R' for the IR mark vs just a line like every other Super Takumar lens.... It's an odd one for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FotoPete wrote:
congrats on the buy, gorgeous copy for the age judging from the pics! I have one of the later 8-element variants but haven't really thoroughly ascertained the difference in optics to the 7-element version.

The big difference is the change from 3 elements in the one group(the lens is 8/6 element/group) to 2 elements in that same group(now7/6 element/group).
http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/Super-Takumar-50mm-F1.4-Early.html

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-S-M-C-Super-Takumar-50mm-F1.4.html

Does that answer your question?