Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon Series E 36-72mm f3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: Nikon Series E 36-72mm f3.5 Reply with quote

This is a lens that gets absolutely no respect. But it's STILL FUN!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks sharp on my monitor!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It, as well as the rest of the Series E lenses, were to a great extent a victim of the times. There was a lot of Nikkor "snobbery" going on back then. The Series E lenses were designed for the consumer market, not the pro or serious amateur market. They were a good bit less expensive than equivalent Nikkors so there had to be some shortcuts to get there. They were still fairly robustly built, far more so than so many of the crappy lenses of today but had a dreaded PLASTIC aperture ring! Plastic on a lens, have you lost your mind??? In many cases, and this lens was one of them, the optics were actually quite good. The 100mm f/2.8 Series E fell way short of the 105mm f/2.5 Nikkor, but then again so did Canon and Minolta 100mm lenses. Nikon did not NIC the lenses that did not really need it. If only those people had known what was in store for them in 30 some odd years, namely lenses made pretty much entirely of plastic including the BAYONET MOUNTS!!! YGTBSM!!!

I had one for a number of years. The reason I chose the Series E over the Nikkor was at the time it was the only single touch in that focal length and true to that snobbery, I would not DARE put any non-Nikon lens (and never have to this day) on any of my cameras. It really was a very nice lens with a consistent aperture setting throughout its zoom range and I took a lot of great images with it. Flare was very well controlled and focusing and zooming was very smooth though not as good as the Nikkors. I did have to add a AI prong to the aperture ring because all of my F2's had the non-Ai Photomic finder. It took all of about 15 minutes and worked like a champ.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one for a long time, it is a fine lens indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaeger wrote:
This is a lens that gets absolutely no respect. But it's STILL FUN!

Like 1
Nice pictures!