Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon TC-14B teleconverter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Nikon TC-14B teleconverter Reply with quote

I had been toying with the idea of saving up for a Nikkor 400mm but had balked at the expense, especially knowing how little I would actually use it. So when I saw a Nikon TC-14B teleconverter on Craigslist in like new condition with box and all paperwork, I jumped. The only two lenses that I have that it will fit on (because of its extruding front element) are my Nikkor 300mm f4.5 and my Nikkor 135mm f3.5. Pity that my 80-200mm f4 won't fit!

But I took it out on Monday to see what I could do, in less than optimal conditions. The hummingbird photos were taken on the fly, wheeling the 300mm lens around on a tripod and dialing the focus down from infinity to guess at the distance -- these two frames are the only ones I got. I just wish my focus had been about 5 inches farther out! The shot of Glacier Peak is a four-shot panorama that I unfortunately underexposed. I'll get the TC out a little more to see what it can really do. And I'll try it on the 135mm, although I can't imagine the circumstance that would make that necessary.

The hummingbirds and mountain were at f5.6. The flowers were at f8.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon TC-14B teleconverter Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a TC-14b and I've gotten excellent results with mine, for what little use I've put it through. I have several long telephotos that I can use with my TC-14b -- 300/2.8, 500/5.6, 500/8, and 650/6.8 -- Two Tamrons and two T-mount lenses, so I can use any of the four with a TC-14b because they have sufficient rear element clearance. Actually, I have a few more with shorter focal lengths that will work also, but I don't usually find much use for a TC with lenses under, say, 200mm in length.

I picked up my TC-14b off eBay about a year or so ago, I guess, but I haven't used mine much. Your shots are nice, especially your hummingbird shots. I've tried to shoot hummingbirds on the wing before (when aren't they on the wing?) and, man-o-man, those were some of the most difficult shots I ever took! And I was using an AF lens! And a flash to freeze the action! And of the half-dozen or so photos I took, not a single one was in sharp focus! So, hats off to ya, Gaeger!

Actually the reason why it was so difficult for me is I was trying to photographer two hummingbirds flying together. I think they might have been doing some sort of mating dance because they were bobbing and weaving, ducking in and out of flowery branches, not holding still for more than a half-second or so -- generally making things difficult for me.

Hmmm . . . a 300mm f/4.5 Nikkor with the TC-14b means you're shooting with about a 420mm f/6 or so. With no sort of ED glass or anything, unless your 300/4.5 is the ED model. That works, but it's marginal.

400mm is an interesting focal length if you're looking for a Nikkor. Nikon built a 400mm f/5.6 ED IF, which is relatively inexpensive, considering it has ED glass and internal focus. But interestingly enough, Nikon has never built an f/4 prime that I'm aware of, although they've built two f/4 zooms that had 400mm as its maximum focal length -- the 200-400mm f/4 ED AIs and the 200-400mm f/4 ED AF. Both of these zooms are incredibly expensive. I used to own the 200-400mm mf zoom and I can honestly state that it was perhaps the sharpest zoom I've ever used . . . and the most expensive, by far. But they are so big and so heavy that a tripod or monopod is a requirement. Nikon also built an f/3.5 prime that is much cheaper than the zooms, and which is hand-holdable in a pinch. And then of course, their famous 400mm f/2.8. The mf version can be found for halfway reasonable prices these days (like less than $2k), which is roughly half the price or less than those zooms.

But you know what I'd do if I were in your shoes? -- in fact I have done it already. If price is an issue, look for an auction, not "buy it now" listings, on eBay for a Tamron 300mm f/2.8 LDIF tele. I bought one a couple years ago that had some cosmetic issues, and I picked it up, at auction, for $500. That's considerably less than the cheapest of the Nikkors listed above. I owned the Tamron 300/2.8 before and I can personally vouch for its excellence as a fast telephoto. It's just as good as the Canon and Nikon 300/2.8s imo. So anyway, the cool thing about using the Tamron 300/2.8 with a TC-14b is you have a 420mm with a maximum aperture of f/4, the same as those ultra expensive zooms, and only a half-stop slower than the 400/3.5. Add the Tamron dedicated 2x or a good quality 7-element 2x like the Vivitar, Komura, or Kenko, and you've got a 600mm f/5.6 for a fraction of the cost of a fast 600mm prime. Well, Nikon's ancient two-piece 600mm f/5.6 can be found in that price range, but it can't compare with the Tamron.

So anyway, food for thought should you ever consider upgrading your long lenses.

!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken with a 500mm f/8 C Reflex Nikkor and a TC-14B. I really do regret getting rid of this lens!