Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

please help: jupiter 21m- jupiter 37a- helios 44/2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: please help: jupiter 21m- jupiter 37a- helios 44/2 Reply with quote

Dear all,
I'm a new user, my name is Andrea i'm from Italy and i'm an astrophotographer.
Last week for 120 euros i bought 2 jupiter 21/m 200 f4, 1 jupiter 135 f3.5 and 1 helios 44/2 58mm f2, i'll use for large field. These are my first manual lenses and i like to know, if possible pros and cons and if it's possible to know the product year from the serial numbers

Jupiter 21m 00004718
Jupiter 21m 91001214
Jupiter 37a 903568
Helios 44/2 7702162

Thanx so much!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome !

These are all good lenses, and the price you paid for the set is right. The Jup 21 is an awesome lens. Pretty heavy because it is built like a tank, but surprisingly good optics, with very little chromatic aberration. One of the best 200mm you can buy under 100 euros.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Helios is 1977.
I'd have to look the others up, unless someone beats me to it Smile
Welcome, BTW!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx to all guys!
They will work with an astronomical cooled ccd and an Halfa filter ( do you knows astrophotography? The Halfa filter needs to accentuate the emission nebulas ) but, after reading Billou i'll use with my canon 500d too.
Kendo where did you found the product years by the product code? Smile

Ps i'm sorry for my school english

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK
The Jupiter 37a is the same as the Helios- 1st two numbers are the year of manufacture.
So Helios is 77, therefor 1977
Jupiter 37a is 90, therefor 1990

The Jupiter 21M serial no 91001214 is more than likely 1991.
The other one with serial no 00004718 is probably an early production model from around 1973. (maybe!)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have two Helios'es 44 and Jupiter 37A, both are fantastic lenses.
Helios 44:
Pros:
- sharp from wide open (but depends from copy)
- beautiful swirly bokeh
- great colours (depends from copy)
- great for portraits
Cons:
- terrible in working in strong light without the hood (unless flares and lost of contrast will be used for creative purposes)
- terrible corners on FF, but on APS-C they're ok, but not the best lens for landscapes
- well... I use it too less often Wink

Jupiter 37A
Pros:
- sharp from wide open
- absolutely fantastic creamy bokeh
- beautiful rounded highlights independently of f-stop - thanks to the milion aperture blades Wink
- stunning colours
- when I put it on the camera I'm always happy with the result of the shooting, very good lens
Cons:
- like above - quite badly in strong light conditions, but with hood it's controlable
- not so fast (f/3.5)
- on APS-C it's not so comfortable focal length at least for me
Here are a few photos taken with Jupiter 37A http://flic.kr/s/aHsjFD3iL8 as I shoot mainly portraits with Helios, I don't post them widely, but you could easily find stunning photos around this forum taken with various Helios 44.

Both lenses have really individual and special character. Of course, there are sharper lens as well as better in terms of working in strong light, but still I always like shooting with them.
I don't have Jupiter 21M, but from some time I'm looking for one for around bargain price Wink, as results posted on this forum are stunning.

Have fun shooting with them. To nail the focus right I use LiveView on my 600d and magnifying function on LiveView to be sure + LCD loupe for better view and composition. I didn't achieve so good accuracy when focusing with optical viewfinder.
When you starting with manual focus lenses read about Magic Lantern for Canon, this is unofficial addon for Canon firmware designed for enhancing video recording, but it has few functions that I couldn't live without while using MF lenses.
If you'll have any question concerning MagicLantern and manual focusing, PM me.

Cheers
Mateusz

Last edited by PhantomLord on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the year of Helios-44-2 production, depend of manufacturer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@kendo1
Ahhh nice i didn't think about it, thanx so much!

@ phantomlord
Thanx so much for the precious rewiews! I'll use for astronomy but i'm happy to knows pros and cons because when i'll learn to make day-photoes with canon 500d will be precious!

@burstmox

Depend of manufacturer?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few pictures taken with the 21M and a Nex-5N. I adjusted the contrast slightly, but I didn't touch the sharpness. Both taken wide open at f/4.

You could count the hair actually. 100% close up:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful! !!!!
Taken at? Iso, exposure ?
Anyone knows te A version of jupiter? 21A? Is much older than 21M but i heard that is better as contrast? I'm looking for it on ebay but no one found

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About manufacturer, MMZ has different serial number politic. If you don't know logo, you can check them here : http://zenitcamera.com/qa/qa-logos.html
Since MMZ and KMZ made Helios-44-2, need to know which one did it in order to determinate the date.

Jupiter-21A is also usualy a way more expensive than the M version (because of more rare, but also it is supposed to be a better performer)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order jupiter 37a - helios 44 - jupiter 21m

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter-37 from Kazan KOMZ
Helios 44 is made in Jupiter Optiks (Valdai) so yes, 1977.
Jupiter-21M is made in VOMZ (Vologda). This logo was used since the end of the 80's.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, why 3 messages? Im sorry!
Thanx burstmox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome!