Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP500/8 55B moon shot
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Tamron SP500/8 55B moon shot Reply with quote

Hi all,I know there is a moon thread somewhere on the forum but I could not find it.Here is tonight's full moon, tripod used and 2 sec timer in built in the K-01.I have had some trouble remembering what settings to use, so went through a few different iso settings and shutter speeds.

I could not seem to get any more details other than the left hand edge of the moon.This is resized and cropped a little from the orginal. I may have to try the doubler...but with the k-01 that may just be a little to challenging.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Tamron SP500/8 55B moon shot Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I could not seem to get any more details other than the left hand edge of the moon.

Try it with a half moon, the sun will be at an angle and the terrain features will cast shadows, you'll see a lot more detail than shooting a full moon.

When I tried this I was surprised at just how quickly the moon moves across the sky!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ,You have confirmed what I was thinking Smile I tried playing around with the inbuilt HDR feature of the k-01, but the camera shake was just to much, to obtain that shake free image.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty good Moon shot! I wonder how much more detail could be captured with a teleconvertor... In theory this lens should behave like a f/6.3 lens regarding diffraction limits (80mm diameter), so at f/11 diffraction should be so bad yet.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammo wrote:
That's a pretty good Moon shot! I wonder how much more detail could be captured with a teleconvertor... In theory this lens should behave like a f/6.3 lens regarding diffraction limits (80mm diameter), so at f/11 diffraction should be so bad yet.

You can get pretty nice results with a T/C. Here is my shot on 55BB with a 2X TC. Some post in lightroom, mostly contrast boosting.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mo,hope you don't mind.....I used Nik software.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as you can see the details are there.. you just need to push them a bit with software.

kryss.. Sharpener Pro or something else?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jan, correct.. first Viveza2 and then a touch of sharpener Pro and 2nd pic silver FX Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedat wrote:
as you can see the details are there.. you just need to push them a bit with software.

Exactly, that's typical behaviour for mirror optics and even more for catadioptic schmidt-cassegrain configuration as used for 55B. Resolution is very good because there is no CA, but microcontrast is very bad due to secondary mirror.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that others have contributed, I hope you don't mind if I add! Smile

With A7 and a very ordinary Centon 500mm in FD mount. Some PP in LR. I did not previously get any better images with this lens but I guess it worked better on A7.

DSC01238 by bhargav dave, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more you guys post the more I learn, Very Happy kryss I do like the first image.

Here is one taken a few minutes later with the 01F 2x convertor. Resized of course and a little PP done,I always seem to do the minimal amount of PP.....using windows live gallery.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo, may I participate from a different point of view ? Smile

Tamron SP 55B 500 F8, on Pen E-P2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to have more craters than my moon, Laughing Thanks for posting Olivier you show that even a half moon is interesting.

Has any one taken a moon shot during the day?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote