Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bokeh 4 Tamron Adaptall Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Bokeh 4 Tamron Adaptall Lenses Reply with quote

Alright, here I am grabbing a bunch of my Tamron adaptall 2 lenses for a landscape jog. My gf hangs about. We get to the scene and oops my tripod malfunctions. My gf as usual loves being in front of the camera and is like forget the trees - shoot me! I said why not!

She said wait you aren't going to show those on mflenses forum are you? I look hedious without my makeup. I said well the pictures will look hedious from a photographer's perspective because these are hand held wide open and I didn't bring any lighting tools since I was planning to shoot trees!

She said well are you going to edit them? I said nope - they will be jpg without any editing at all. I didn't want to sleep on the couch, so I promised to go home and take a nice photo of her in our studio.

These lenses I was thinking of selling. I have sharper lenses then these and the sharpness would be way better had I shot them in raw on a tripod vs low quality jpeg hand held. The test changed from distant sharpness to contrast, tone rendition, and bokeh.

Here are the results of:

#1 Tamron Adaptall 2 35-70

#2 Tamron Adaptall 2 35-70

#3 Tamron Adaptall 2 35-135 (older version)

#4 Tamron Adaptall 2 35-135 (older version)

#5 Tamron Adaptall 2 35-135 (older version)

#6 Tamron Adaptall 75-250

#7 Tamron Adaptall 80-210

#8 Studio Shot with Voigtlander

Is there hope for these adaptall 2?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wont use old zooms for work, but there are exceptions.
Modern zooms are better.
Also the light is important. Old zooms with correct light can compete.
Your photos are not bringing the best from these lenses.

I think i still have these zooms, but havent use them for years.
My fav adaptall zoom is the soft focus 70-150/2.8.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
I wont use old zooms for work, but there are exceptions.
Modern zooms are better.
Also the light is important. Old zooms with correct light can compete.
Your photos are not bringing the best from these lenses.

I think i still have these zooms, but havent use them for years.
My fav adaptall zoom is the soft focus 70-150/2.8.

What exceptions?

I know the photos aren't presenting the best of these zooms. I am sure I can get much better pictures. These are hand held 'bokeh' shots. Can these zooms get better / different bokeh than what I got?

I don't own the 70-150 and that is an SP Adaptall. These are the old Adeptall 2 - non SP. Their quality is supposed to be subpar. They can't compete with the much newer zooms or the SP lines that is for sure. The evidence that you haven't used them for years says a lot. I'll have to do a more serious push later with focus on sharpness and quality (tripod mounted with proper lighting). I'll then compare them against the two modern zooms I have that new AF Tamron SP 70-200 and Nikon 70-200 VR.

Honestly, they preformed much better than I expected. I expected much much worse from them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon May 09, 2016 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
Well the 35-135 seems to be capable of nice bubbly bokeh, under certain circumstances, so I would keep it in the bubbly bokeh drawer.

The 80-210 and the 75-250 bokeh circles look a bit deformed for wide open?

It is difficult to say anything about the 35-70 with the very bright sky in the background.

Man! As it is written in (Ber, 5,4): "If by the grace of destiny your GF is willing to pose thou shalt always endeavour to make the best picture possible."
She will not appreciate the intricacies of testing partial aspects of bokeh where she is a non-contributing blob in the foreground!

I would try to get an angle where no sky is in the picture like in number 6 and 7 and crank up the exposure somewhere between one and two stops! She gets nice and bright skin and the background becomes a nice high key bokeh mess.

Before I shoot the GF pictures I would tell her that I need some exposure test shots of the background and that would give you your MF forum bokeh test shots. Very Happy

The studio shot is very nice. to my taste and style I would change two things:

1) hairlight 1/3 up (can be dome in post)
2) post processing: new layer, set it to blend mode color dodge. Mask it fully black. use a soft brush size of eyes to punch holes into the mask, reduce layer opacity to taste around 10% -20%.

If you ever put out Ber bible let me know and I'll grab me a copy pronto Smile

Yes, I was surprised by the 35-135 22A too. I looked it up on adaptall and it was the earlier version of 40A. It is the unwanted half-brother. I thought it would tank, but the bokeh and rendering was very nice. I am wondering if there is a merit to getting the upgrade version and putting them together in the ring or if the difference is minor.

Yes, the bokeh of 80-210 and 75-250 looks deformed, which is odd, because there is no major change in shooting conditions. The shots were pretty much consective with few minutes for lens change. I wonder if this is a problem in the lens or just what the lens produce and I am also wondering if its deformaity makes it an 'interesting' lens or just straight out ooogly and unwanted.

I'll repeat the shoot back there with these lenses again, but this time I'll go prepared to get the shots. Nothing worse then heading down to a location to shoot subject A and realizing that your equipment isn't working as intended and that the subject has changed and you are not ready for that either. Sometimes I think part of the role of a photographer is being Captain Gadget.

I'll try the modifications for the photo and repost it here.