Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Steinheil Argus Cintagon 50mm f/1.9 at A7RII
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:40 am    Post subject: Steinheil Argus Cintagon 50mm f/1.9 at A7RII Reply with quote

This lens is made by Steinheil for the Argus C44 camera. I believe this lens may be the same lens as the other Steinheil 50mm f/1.9 made for leaf shutters rangefinders.

My copy has lots of cleaning marks on the front element which is common on Steinheil lenses. The lens seems behave similarly to the other Quinon I have used. Slight glow at wide open but the glow mostly disappear at F2.8. The color is very typical Steinheil style: less saturated compare to rodenstock/voigtlander.

The samples below are converted from raw to jpg using the standard profile with no cropping in Adobe Lightroom. Charity and vibrance both set to +16. Click to enlarge the photos. All the photos are taken at F1.9 or F2.8. Photos of the cats are slightly cropped.

Last edited by calvin83 on Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice images, and nice rendering of this lens 👍

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice images, interesting to see a hint of swirl in the final picture.

I have a copy, but haven't used it much. From casual testing it was a better lens than the Enna made 45/1.9 sold for the Geiss modified C4.

I also have a Quinon with DKL mount for a Braun Paxette Reflex but have not actually taken the time to work out if it's the same lens. I have my doubts as the registration distances from a C44 rangefinder to a leaf shutter reflex must surely not be equal.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Nice images, and nice rendering of this lens 👍

Thanks!

Alun Thomas wrote:
Nice images, interesting to see a hint of swirl in the final picture.

I have a copy, but haven't used it much. From casual testing it was a better lens than the Enna made 45/1.9 sold for the Geiss modified C4.

I also have a Quinon with DKL mount for a Braun Paxette Reflex but have not actually taken the time to work out if it's the same lens. I have my doubts as the registration distances from a C44 rangefinder to a leaf shutter reflex must surely not be equal.

Yes. A little Swirl is a plus for me. I would like to test the Enna made 45/1.9 too as it is much more rare!

The front element of the DKL mount Quinon does look a bit larger than the Cintagon. The rear element is more or less the same. It is possible that they tweak the design or it is a new computation. If you have the result, you can let me know.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

The front element of the DKL mount Quinon does look a bit larger than the Cintagon. The rear element is more or less the same. It is possible that they tweak the design or it is a new computation. If you have the result, you can let me know.

Well I don't really know, but that does sound possible, much in the same way as they put a large front element in front of a basic tessar design for many retrofocus lenses back then. Maybe they used a similar idea to achieve a longer flange distance, i.e. made it slightly retrofocus so to speak.

Maybe some comparing might be in order in the near future.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Nice to see feline friends again! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Like 1 Like 1 Nice to see feline friends again! Smile

Yes. I am lucky to meet them yesterday.

Last edited by calvin83 on Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I have one in a bin somewhere and tried it and my images were nowhere near this good. I must dig it out and try again!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Hmm. I have one in a bin somewhere and tried it and my images were nowhere near this good. I must dig it out and try again!

Try it in a low light conditions? Most of my Steinheil chrome lenses works pretty well on low light.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very appealing rendering at chosen focusing distances. Seems like a perfect cat-portrait lens (very nice captures). Smile Based on that I imagine head and shoulders portraits would look beautiful with this.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dejan wrote:
Very appealing rendering at chosen focusing distances. Seems like a perfect cat-portrait lens (very nice captures). Smile Based on that I imagine head and shoulders portraits would look beautiful with this.

Good suggestion!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely bokeh! Like 1