Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RE Auto Topcor serial number and name ring description
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thinge27 wrote:
Hi, i am new here and introduced myself in another topic. See:

http://forum.mflenses.com/newbie-a-topcon-collector-from-holland-t80028.html

In short: i am a Topcon collector from the Netherlands and i have 95% of the Topcon stuf.....including all the hard to find lenses and camera's. Besides Topcon i also collect Aires and Beauty camera's and things. But still searching for more. I also collect all the Topcon related stuff, like brochures, service manuals, parts manuals, books, microfiches, pins, hats and so on.....Also TLR's which Topcon made with other brand names. I have lots of Topcon stuff and i loved it all. I am using one of my RE Super camera's to shoot pictures weekly.....mainly using Kodak professional 100 or, since one week Kodak Ultramax 400. But i have loads of films in my fridge. Love black and white and shooting mainly with the 1.4 or 1.8 lenses. I am a pro photographer with FF Canons together with my lovely wife...we do lots of (historic) motorsport....who works for Topcon.......

Almost forgot...i am collecting camera's for many years, but most of them are for sale locally here.....no heavy stuff just the normal names...Minox, Canon......etc.

By the way...i have read that some mentioned the book from Antonetto and Russo.....i am the lucky guy who found more copies then i needed...so i have some for sale. All new, but some have very, very slightly wear on the front......hardly to see.....so please ask if you are interested.....maybe the last change to find your copy.

I'm sure you'll find buyers for your extra books in no time.

I have zero interest in film, so I'm mostly interested in the lenses... sigh, I wish Topcon still made lenses, I would love to see a heritage/anniversary set of lenses. 61 years since the Topcon R.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another lens that is way outside the range of serial numbers in the list.
I have a 5.8cm 3.5 Bellows lens type 101B with serial number 1012006.
It came with the original box with that number hand written on a topcon sticker on the box.
That is more than 1000 outside the normal range.

This is my second bellows lens. The first is sn 1010731. The first is well used and shows some cleaning scratches on both front and rear. Still I used it with a Phantom4K camera on a national commercial shoot. The sharpness and microcontrast is fantastic. The second lens with the odd serial number is mint! I'm sure I will use it often.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 87-205/4.7 silver with tripod mount. S/N 1302903.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`ve annonyingly misplaced the screenshot but there was a Macro Topcor 30mm 3.5 kit sold on UK ebay on Sunday in black with a higher than known serial number. According to Antonetto it was only made in chrome...so another new one.

EDIT found it 1245537
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/J7AAAOSwoOxcjTkC/s-l1600.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, after months of waiting for the adapter, I've got de opportunity to use my Topcor 58 1.4 and I am amazed of the colors ,bokeh, sharpness ,what a wonderful lens indeed. Still need a hood for it, as it's prone to flare easily , besides that, I've seen that it renders pretty saturated colors . The whole lens is one of the best I've ever used , even though the focus it's not ultra smooth ,like my Zeiss c/y or , mc rokkor ....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Finally, after months of waiting for the adapter, I've got de opportunity to use my Topcor 58 1.4 and I am amazed of the colors ,bokeh, sharpness ,what a wonderful lens indeed. Still need a hood for it, as it's prone to flare easily , besides that, I've seen that it renders pretty saturated colors . The whole lens is one of the best I've ever used , even though the focus it's not ultra smooth ,like my Zeiss c/y or , mc rokkor ....
Congratulations. As for the focus smoothness - unlike smooth 58/1.8 or 135/3.5 my copy of 58/1.4 also had to be re-lubed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it easy/cheap to do it? I understand the right way would be to open it completely, etc. But I'm sure not many could do the right job

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

58/3.5 Macro (Topcon Code 101B)

Serial 1012064 on ebay. Looks like the number produced was low, but not as low as other serial numbers imply. Before this I haven't seen a serial number higher than the 1000 range.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Auto-Topcor-Tokyo-Kogaku-1-1-8-F-5-8-cm-58mm-with-Leather-Case-/264459843571?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=DOA1gKa4%252BXqqlxZfr0u7HybEh18%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice price, all you need now is the helicoid https://www.ebay.com/itm/Topcon-Helicoid-Helically-Focusing-Variable-Tube-Topcor-Macro-135mm-F4-Lens/273016525857
Or the bellows https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOPCON-BELLOWS-SLIDE-COPIER-150mm-In-GOOD-WORKING-CONDITION/153644168633

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macca wrote:
I`ve annonyingly misplaced the screenshot but there was a Macro Topcor 30mm 3.5 kit sold on UK ebay on Sunday in black with a higher than known serial number. According to Antonetto it was only made in chrome...so another new one.

EDIT found it 1245537
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/J7AAAOSwoOxcjTkC/s-l1600.jpg

I missed your post, but I did find another image of a black 30mm macro, plus a black helicoid which I've never seen.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Topcon fans, the super rare Simlar 50/0.7 (AKA Toko 50/0.7) is but a dream. I have come across a couple old auctions but no pictures, Google did give up one picture:

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
For Topcon fans, the super rare Simlar 50/0.7 (AKA Toko 50/0.7) is but a dream. I have come across a couple old auctions but no pictures, Google did give up one picture:

Wartime version! Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are quite a few lenses in the Topcon Story book where the "highest" serial number is far from the actual highest.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Shriver wrote:
There are quite a few lenses in the Topcon Story book where the "highest" serial number is far from the actual highest.

The serials listed in the book are from examples that passed through their service department, was not intended to be an exhaustive list since Topcon data has not been shared, I wonder if they still have that stuff or if it's been lost/purged over the years.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Silver RE.Auto-Topcor 1:1,4 f=5,8cm Tokyo Kogaku Japan has the serial 11275xx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have come across two interesting RE Auto Topcor lenses that appear to be transition pieces from f auto.

The first is a 35mm f/2.8.
Instead of a 7 digit serial number it has a 6 digit serial number: 742XXX
The aperture dot is also red instead of green as is the R
There are some engraving mistakes on the lens also.
It says "Lens made in apan". The J is missing.
The other mistake is "RE,Auto-Iopcor". The T has no top.

Silver RE,Auto-Iopcor 1:2,8 f=3,5cm Tokyo Kogaku Japan 742551

The second is a 100mm f/2.8
Again, instead of a 7 digit serial number it has a 6 digital serial number 752XXX
Again, the aperture has a red dot instead of green and the R is red.
This one does not have engraving oddities. It is "Lens made in Japan" not "apan"
Silver RE.Auto-Topcor 1:2.8 f=10cm Tokyo Kogaku Japan 752328

Also worthy of note the 35 uses commas in the engraving while the 100 uses dots.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:
I have some of their lenses. Off the top of my head, a few use dots and other use commas for the decimal place.

If you truly feel they are unique it will help to mention their weight in grams.

I am not sure if they are unique in any other way than the serial numbers not following the 7 digit pattern but being 6 digits like the F Auto-Topcor serials, but the body is RE Auto-Topcor with a red dot instead of green. These serial numbers are not in the documented ranges so I put them out there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
I have come across two interesting RE Auto Topcor lenses that appear to be transition pieces from f auto.

The first is a 35mm f/2.8.
Instead of a 7 digit serial number it has a 6 digit serial number: 742XXX
The aperture dot is also red instead of green as is the R

Transition of the dot from red to green happened some time during RE lens production, I've not found a credible explanation as to the reason, if anyone has info as to why, I'd love to hear about it.
Quote:

There are some engraving mistakes on the lens also.
It says "Lens made in apan". The J is missing.
The other mistake is "RE,Auto-Iopcor". The T has no top.

Silver RE,Auto-Iopcor 1:2,8 f=3,5cm Tokyo Kogaku Japan 742551

This is likely caused by the white paint that fills the engraving becoming unattached and falling out of the engraving, Leica lenses have this issue quite often.

Quote:

The second is a 100mm f/2.8
Again, instead of a 7 digit serial number it has a 6 digital serial number 752XXX
Again, the aperture has a red dot instead of green and the R is red.
This one does not have engraving oddities. It is "Lens made in Japan" not "apan"
Silver RE.Auto-Topcor 1:2.8 f=10cm Tokyo Kogaku Japan 752328

This is mentioned in the book Topcon Story.
"The first version (75B) has 2 variations, one with a 75xxxx serial which used the helicoid from the 35/2.8(74B) and the second with a 75xxxxx serial and a new helicoid." (not an exact quote)
As I mentioned in my PM, it's plausible that the lenses had started production as F series lenses and were updated to RE series after the decision to start making RE lenses was made, by then the shorter F serials were possibly already assigned, I'm assuming that the bits that that make them look like RE lenses will not fit the later RE lenses.
These are definitely interesting lenses, possibly collectable too.
Quote:

Also worthy of note the 35 uses commas in the engraving while the 100 uses dots.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:

This is likely caused by the white paint that fills the engraving becoming unattached and falling out of the engraving, Leica lenses have this issue quite often.

To my eyes this does not look to be the case. This lens is currently on ebay. I took screenshots of his pictures:

It doesn't look like a J was ever engraved there to my eyes. The T the paint may have fallen out. I see a vague shadow in the area.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
Lightshow wrote:

To my eyes this does not look to be the case. This lens is currently on ebay. I took screenshots of his pictures:

It doesn't look like a J was ever engraved there to my eyes. The T the paint may have fallen out. I see a vague shadow in the area.

All I can say is poop apans...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just researching Topcor lenses and came across this thread.

I have a 58mm f1.8 RE. Auto Topcor model 129B with serial number 11672040

It's silver with a green dot.

Just in case anyone's interested Wink