Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RE Auto Topcor serial number and name ring description
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernst Dinkla wrote:
The Silver one I have, with beauty ring; " RE,Auto-Topcor 1:1,8 f=5,8cm Tokyo Kogaku Japan 99005073 "
has one element more at the front than what is shown in any of the lens diagrams for a Topcor 58mm 1.8 at this page.

http://www.topgabacho.jp/Topconclub/lenscut.htm

On the 99005073 from front to rear side -> ( ( ((|)) )

Is that common knowledge or new information?

Thank your for the info.

The diagram you linked shows a RE. 6/4 scheme with 1-2|2-1 configuration aka Code 62B. This one is very similar to the older F 6/4 with the same 1-2|2-1 config.

According to the Topcon Story book, there was a change of design by splitting the first group. Resulting lens was a RE. 6/5 with 1-1-1|2-1 config aka Code 99B.

There was also an optical design called Code 129B with unknown config.

Your lens should belong to the Code 99B according to its sn.

Source:
Lightshow wrote:

Code 62B based on the F Auto-Topcor from: 620001 to 625115 (1963)
Code 99B new optics,2nd and 3rd elements were separated. from 99xxxxx to 9901920 (1964)
Code 116B new mechanicals, from 1160001 to 11608302 (1965)
Code 129B (black or chrome) optics changed again From: 1161xxxx to 11670435 last known (1966) I have the chrome version, awesome lens.
Code 129BD (Navy) from: 1165xxxx to 11650401 last known (1967)
Code 129BG AUTO-TOPCOR (black) from: 1168xxxx to 11685922 last known (1971)


PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y wrote:
Ernst Dinkla wrote:
The Silver one I have, with beauty ring; " RE,Auto-Topcor 1:1,8 f=5,8cm Tokyo Kogaku Japan 99005073 "
has one element more at the front than what is shown in any of the lens diagrams for a Topcor 58mm 1.8 at this page.

http://www.topgabacho.jp/Topconclub/lenscut.htm

On the 99005073 from front to rear side -> ( ( ((|)) )

Is that common knowledge or new information?

Thank your for the info.

The diagram you linked shows a RE. 6/4 scheme with 1-2|2-1 configuration aka Code 62B. This one is very similar to the older F 6/4 with the same 1-2|2-1 config.

According to the Topcon Story book, there was a change of design by splitting the first group. Resulting lens was a RE. 6/5 with 1-1-1|2-1 config aka Code 99B.

There was also an optical design called Code 129B with unknown config.

Your lens should belong to the Code 99B according to its sn.

Source:
Lightshow wrote:

Code 62B based on the F Auto-Topcor from: 620001 to 625115 (1963)
Code 99B new optics,2nd and 3rd elements were separated. from 99xxxxx to 9901920 (1964)
Code 116B new mechanicals, from 1160001 to 11608302 (1965)
Code 129B (black or chrome) optics changed again From: 1161xxxx to 11670435 last known (1966) I have the chrome version, awesome lens.
Code 129BD (Navy) from: 1165xxxx to 11650401 last known (1967)
Code 129BG AUTO-TOPCOR (black) from: 1168xxxx to 11685922 last known (1971)


Thank you. Whenever I take it apart again I will have a closer look at that 3rd element or first group. It did not look much like a single element the way it was encapsulated.


PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernst Dinkla wrote:
y wrote:
Ernst Dinkla wrote:
The Silver one I have, with beauty ring; " RE,Auto-Topcor 1:1,8 f=5,8cm Tokyo Kogaku Japan 99005073 "
has one element more at the front than what is shown in any of the lens diagrams for a Topcor 58mm 1.8 at this page.

http://www.topgabacho.jp/Topconclub/lenscut.htm

On the 99005073 from front to rear side -> ( ( ((|)) )

Is that common knowledge or new information?

Thank your for the info.

The diagram you linked shows a RE. 6/4 scheme with 1-2|2-1 configuration aka Code 62B. This one is very similar to the older F 6/4 with the same 1-2|2-1 config.

According to the Topcon Story book, there was a change of design by splitting the first group. Resulting lens was a RE. 6/5 with 1-1-1|2-1 config aka Code 99B.

There was also an optical design called Code 129B with unknown config.

Your lens should belong to the Code 99B according to its sn.

Source:
Lightshow wrote:

Code 62B based on the F Auto-Topcor from: 620001 to 625115 (1963)
Code 99B new optics,2nd and 3rd elements were separated. from 99xxxxx to 9901920 (1964)
Code 116B new mechanicals, from 1160001 to 11608302 (1965)
Code 129B (black or chrome) optics changed again From: 1161xxxx to 11670435 last known (1966) I have the chrome version, awesome lens.
Code 129BD (Navy) from: 1165xxxx to 11650401 last known (1967)
Code 129BG AUTO-TOPCOR (black) from: 1168xxxx to 11685922 last known (1971)


Thank you. Whenever I take it apart again I will have a closer look at that 3rd element or first group. It did not look much like a single element the way it was encapsulated.

Yeah, I'm sure their diagram is of the 62B, so yours will be different, 111|21 as was posted.


PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started a page at Camerapedia's wiki to add in the Exakta mount lenses that were nonexistent, it doesn't have all the serial # additions this thread has accumulated, and I need to format the info better/more consistently, I was getting burnt out so I just saved it as a work in progress, here's the link: http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Topcon/Topcor_R%2C_F%2C_RE_lenses if anyone's interested.

If anyone comes across info for the following lenses, or the actual lenses, please let me know.
Topcor R 2.8cm f2.8 Preset
Topcor R 5cm f2.8 Preset
RE GN Topcor 35/1.8


PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work.

A UK seller on ebay has two Leotax TV RF cameras for sale with the Topcor 5cm 2.8 lenses, one cleanish if you don`t have one.

If I understand you are looking for the fabled prototype lenses and more info on them?


PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'd be in heaven if they had released the 2.8cm and 5cm R's.


PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m not convinced the prottypes saw the light of day. There was an avid Dutch collector/repairman who passed away and I reckon if he didn`t have any then they may not exist.

His entire collection has been catalogued/valued by some chap who likes doing these things but not selling them i.e. it`s a very authentic looking but dummy site and the lenses are not actually for sale.

The lenses and cameras I am led to believe are all genuine and were his collection, it now looks to be completed. You may have encountered it on internet travels, but if not....

https://www.wesellyourcollection.com/topcon/about-the-colections/


PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive collection!


PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed.

It was the first place I had seen a black 25mm 3.5, I know one or two forum members have one now but it did make me think they were just black painted chrome ones due the scratches in his pictures.

I check back the collection every now and then but it now seems to be complete. Haven`t had time to go through his serial numbers for the benefit of this thread....if anyone is bored.....

EDIT-PS interestingly although you can`t buy via this website I note one of the two 85mm 1.8 s he had seems to have been sold, I imagine the author has some access to his surviving family or estate.


PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macca wrote:
I`m not convinced the prottypes saw the light of day. There was an avid Dutch collector/repairman who passed away and I reckon if he didn`t have any then they may not exist.

His entire collection has been catalogued/valued by some chap who likes doing these things but not selling them i.e. it`s a very authentic looking but dummy site and the lenses are not actually for sale.

The lenses and cameras I am led to believe are all genuine and were his collection, it now looks to be completed. You may have encountered it on internet travels, but if not....

https://www.wesellyourcollection.com/topcon/about-the-colections/

I don't think they were ever released, but they probably survive somewhere, in someones home, someone related to a Topcon employee.
I had come across the lens pages many times, I didn't know they're of an actual collection, now I'll have to browse the site, so thanks for enlightening me about it.

I was looking at this page https://www.wesellyourcollection.com/topcon/product/04-topcon-super-dm-navy-set-body-sn-7209270-with-unique-collection-of-5-black-topcor-navy-lenses-navy-re-auto-topcor-58mm-35mm-100mm-re-topcor-navy-135mm-and-navy-re-auto-topcor-zoom-85-200/

And I wondered if the N which I had assumed identified lenses built to NAVY spec, was actually a lens coating spec for the NAVY, has anyone seen an reference to it's meaning? I'm also curious about if this coating is reparations technology from Germany that end up on these lenses from the NAVY Dept, Does this N coating (if different) have Zeiss T technology or if it's a coating that Topcon came up with?And is it the same as their M coating on the RE GN?


PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I just joined. This is a great resource. Otherwise it's so hard to find information on Topcor.

I can contribute one new serial number to the initial list:

I own a "RE.Auto-Topcor 1:2.8 f=10cm Tokyo Kogaku Japan 752311" lens. (I did list all the digits - it only has 6). I browsed through the whole thread a bit fast, but couldn't find it mentioned before. I hope this is true. Maybe it's a preproduction model?

Also I can report that I own one of the (seemingly rare) 1.8/58s with s/n 9901... .


PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Here you can see my RE.Auto-Topcor 1:1.4 f=5.8cm Tokyo Kogaku Japan.


In the listing of tao I found the following:
58/1.4 (Topcon Code 112B)

V1
RE.Auto-Topcor 1:1.4 f=5.8cm Tokyo Kogaku Japan 112xxxxx
Silver, with a kidney-shape grooving on the back
First known: 1120001
Last known: 1126233 {member Billou


I think, my lens is also a V1.

Why is not my picture displayed? It will be displayed in the preview.


PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GasGas wrote:
Hi,

Here you can see my RE.Auto-Topcor 1:1.4 f=5.8cm Tokyo Kogaku Japan.


In the listing of tao I found the following:
58/1.4 (Topcon Code 112B)

V1
RE.Auto-Topcor 1:1.4 f=5.8cm Tokyo Kogaku Japan 112xxxxx
Silver, with a kidney-shape grooving on the back
First known: 1120001
Last known: 1126233 {member Billou


I think, my lens is also a V1.

Why is not my picture displayed? It will be displayed in the preview.

First post images don't show as an anti-spam measure.
Here it is now
Tom


PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just added to my RE Topcor collection with a 58mm 3.5

Like Macca it has an extra number in the serial number.

Silver 58mm 3.5 SN 13700737


I also have:
35mm 2.8 silver
58mm 1.8 Black
100mm 2.8 silver
135mm 2.8 Black

Using them on a Sony A7 III with a Fotasy adapter
They are FANTASTIC color, microcontrast, color, Bokeh are all great!


PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to add my collection to this list. Have a nice day.

*Re Auto-Topcor 35mm f2.8 Silver No Hood - 7408229 (White splotchy haze on the doublet forward of the blade and also the next element, otherwise centered well and snappy focus. Gives a low contrast. Could not find a solvent for the *grease induced haze*. One blade is slightly dented causing a slight unevenness when closed down) $$

*Re Auto-Topcor 35mm f2.8 Silver No Hood - 7418183 (Near Perfect - Much higher contrast than the last copy. A little white crud around the chrome screw on bayonet. Not sure how to dissolve this stuff) $$$

*Re Auto-Topcor 58mm f1.8 Silver No Hood - 11656467 Part of a Re-2 camera purchase (Nice - 75% loss of paint on side of front element. No evidence of flakes inside group. Likely from a CLA job ) $$

*Re Auto-Topcor 85mm f1.8 No Hood - 13300247 (Some small dust) $$$

*Re GN Topcor 50mm f1.4 - 15702219 (No visible yellowing but projection test side by side with 58mm does show slight warmth on white paper. A couple extremely tiny specs of black paint on the back of the front element. Focus is slightly stiff.) $$$

*Topcon Extension Tubes 1,2 & 3 - $


PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: New high for Macro-Topcor 58/3.5 Reply with quote

This eBay auction: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-RARE-TOPCON-Macro-Auto-Topcor-5-8CM-58MM-F-3-5-Lens-W-Auto-Ring-MINT-/362412669352?hash=item54617a79a8%3Ag%3A-E8AAOSwKUVbR3PE&nma=true&si=m1jZLtPpmQBSJaCy95wAycO9No4%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

has Macro-Topcor 58/3.5 serial number 1012176, which is the highest I've ever seen for that lens.

Complete including rare rear cap, but in the wrong box. Didn't sell.


PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: New high for Macro-Topcor 58/3.5 Reply with quote

John Shriver wrote:
This eBay auction: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-RARE-TOPCON-Macro-Auto-Topcor-5-8CM-58MM-F-3-5-Lens-W-Auto-Ring-MINT-/362412669352?hash=item54617a79a8%3Ag%3A-E8AAOSwKUVbR3PE&nma=true&si=m1jZLtPpmQBSJaCy95wAycO9No4%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

has Macro-Topcor 58/3.5 serial number 1012176, which is the highest I've ever seen for that lens.

Complete including rare rear cap, but in the wrong box. Didn't sell.


Here is another with an even higher serial #13750388
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Topcon-RE-Macro-58mm-f3-5-Auto-Topcor-13750388/372312625578?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20140602152332%26meid%3Db0f391934b4344a395bd7ba8a28a44ee%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D362412669352%26itm%3D372312625578&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850


PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:
I would like to add my collection to this list. Have a nice day.

*Re Auto-Topcor 35mm f2.8 Silver No Hood - 7408229 (White splotchy haze on the doublet forward of the blade and also the next element, otherwise centered well and snappy focus. Gives a low contrast. Could not find a solvent for the *grease induced haze*. One blade is slightly dented causing a slight unevenness when closed down) $$

*Re Auto-Topcor 35mm f2.8 Silver No Hood - 7418183 (Near Perfect - Much higher contrast than the last copy. A little white crud around the chrome screw on bayonet. Not sure how to dissolve this stuff) $$$

*Re Auto-Topcor 58mm f1.8 Silver No Hood - 11656467 Part of a Re-2 camera purchase (Nice - 75% loss of paint on side of front element. No evidence of flakes inside group. Likely from a CLA job ) $$

*Re Auto-Topcor 85mm f1.8 No Hood - 13300247 (Some small dust) $$$

*Re GN Topcor 50mm f1.4 - 15702219 (No visible yellowing but projection test side by side with 58mm does show slight warmth on white paper. A couple extremely tiny specs of black paint on the back of the front element. Focus is slightly stiff.) $$$

*Topcon Extension Tubes 1,2 & 3 - $

Nice collection! Keep it up Like 1 small


PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are separate serial number sequences for the Macro-Topcor 58/3.5 and the RE. Macro Auto Topcor. Highest serial number I have seen for the latter is 13707913, a black anodized lens.


PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y wrote:

Nice collection! Keep it up Like 1 small


Thanks for the encouragement. Laugh 1

I do hope they stand the test of time, and that I didn't adopt someone else's chronically problematic lenses.

Typically I prefer to work on Takumar (Auto or Preset) lenses but the IQ of the Topcon has sort of swept me off my feet.

-Andrew

Edit: Somehow one of the aperture blades became bent (at the tail) on the re auto 58mm 1.8. Even though I was able to convince it to flatten out I am wondering what would have caused it to do that in the first place. Lens reassembled and working perfect again.

I've taken apart and reassembled the GN 50mm 1.4 about a dozen times. As much as I was happy that the focus was no longer stiff there was a rough spot around 0.7m. I broke it down again and soaked a couple parts in naphtha and replaced the grease with white lithium and a couple drops of Pedros Ice Wax PTFE. It doesn't glide like it did with the super lube but I think that the lithium offers a better ride. I am very happy now that the entire focus range is consistent in terms of feel. I was also able to remove any signs of yellow after approx. 3-5 days of light treatment.


PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: RE Auto Topcor serial number and name ring description Reply with quote

tao wrote:

==============================================

58/3.5 Macro (Topcon Code 137B)

V1
RE,Macro Auto-Topcor 1:3,5 f=58mm Tokyo Kogaku Japan 137xxxx [or 1370xxxx]
Silver
First known: 1370001
Last known: 1371440
[member Macca spotted a silver 13700390, with an extra zero]


V2
RE MACRO AUTO TOPCOR 1:3,5 f=58mm TOKYO KOGAKU 1370xxxx
Black
First known: 13705001
Last known: 13706342

V3
RE MACRO AUTO TOPCOR 1:3,5 f=58mm TOKYO KOGAKU 13750xxx
Black
First known: 13750001
Last known: 13750329

[The auto version of the preceding lens, with helicoid and all.]

==============================================



V2
RE MACRO AUTO TOPCOR 1:3,5 f=58mm TOKYO KOGAKU 1370xxxx

Is now in my hands with a serial 13707009. Taken from a discarded instrument, never been in outside use. Has a dent in the filter ring anyway.

Cheers.