Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon SIC coating, is it really worthy?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Nikon SIC coating, is it really worthy? Reply with quote

Recently I had chance to use Nikon 105/2.5 AiS, and based on the series number, it's not supposed to have SIC coating. I was impressed with its sharpness and contrast and planning to find one.
As I know, the price of this lens with SIC is quite higher than others, but I wonder if it's really worthy. It may reduce ghost, flare and improve the contrast, but that's not always needed in every situation and some post processing and fix this problem easily. Even the differences between NAi, Ai, and AiS are not obvious, I've never seen any side by side comparison to have an accurate conclusion.
I have an offer of this lens at a local shop for $85, sn 921427. It has some scratch on the rear glass but I don't think it affects much the IQ. For SIC coating, I may need to pay at least $150 more to buy it from ebay.
Anyone has different versions of this lens and compared them? I really need to find a direct comparison Sad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are trying to push limits of dynamic range, I don't think you'll see much difference in your final image, you may have more contrast with the newer coating, but that's not always a good thing since it's harder to remove contrast than to add it in post.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happen to have both versions of this Nikkor, AIS and AIS with SIC. The colors of the coating are surely different, but there is no percievable difference in the images they produce. Maybe there will be a small difference if shooting in really difficult lighting conditions, but I don't.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Unless you are trying to push limits of dynamic range, I don't think you'll see much difference in your final image, you may have more contrast with the newer coating, but that's not always a good thing since it's harder to remove contrast than to add it in post.

Thank you, that's exactly what I'm thinking!
But I'm still curious to see what makes the differences, since I saw some people trying to find this coating.

Last edited by Langstrum on Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
I happen to have both versions of this Nikkor, AIS and AIS with SIC. The colors of the coating are surely different, but there is no percievable difference in the images they produce. Maybe there will be a small difference if shooting in really difficult lighting conditions, but I don't.

Thank you for your information. It's good for convincing my friend giving up wasting much money for SIC Evil or Very Mad