Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Comparing Fujian 35mm f1.7 and 35mm f16
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Comparing Fujian 35mm f1.7 and 35mm f16 Reply with quote

I wrote a short review comparing the two variants of the Fujian 35mm C-mount lens here (images in linlk): https://joexu88.wordpress.com/2018/03/11/comparing-fujian-35mm-1-7-35mm-1-6/

Conclusions:

The 35mm f1.7 seems to have better contrast and center sharpness, while the f1.6 is softer overall.
The 35mm f1.7 have better flare control, while f1.6 exhibit significant ghosting and flares which reduces contrast.
The 35mm f1.6 have warmer colors, while f1.7 tend to be colder/neutral
The 35mm f1.7 have better minimum focusing at 0.3m, while the 35mm f1.6 is rated at 0.5m and it’s hard to focus close.
The 35mm f1.6 has smoother bokeh due to its slightly larger aperture which render out-of-focus-area slightly better

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, Joe, for your excellent review of these two lenses. I take no issue whatsoever with anything you wrote, except for your mention of price, and I find it all of great interest. I'm surprised you find the 1.7 to have as many positive attributes as you mention. Prior I wrongly thought it was the inferior lens across the board.

On price, though:

The Fujian 35mm f1.7 lens can routinely be found for sale, new, for $5 with free shipping. Here is the auction:

Click here to see on Ebay

Although those lenses do not appear to carry the Fujian imprint, I can assure you they do. They are Fujian GDS-35 lenses. I have bought several from that seller. They all are marked "FUJIAN CHINA TV LENS GDS-35" in white lettering right on the lenses. They also carry Neewer branding on the packaging only, but not on the lens itself. How these lenses can be sold so inexpensively I do not know. They are very nice lenses.

Thanks again for your illuminating review of the two lenses!

Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:

The Fujian 35mm f1.7 lens can routinely be found for sale, new, for $5 with free shipping. Here is the auction:

Click here to see on Ebay
The free shipping is $20 for europe Wink

I just received my 1.7. First impression: it's hilarious, it makes my Fuji look like a toy cam.
it does focus, and the aperture opens and closes, but the markings seem to be printed on totally random areas of the respective rings. At no point do the extremes align, and also it focuses quite a bit beyond infinity, although te stated closest distance of 30cm seems to match.

But I'm not disappointed at all, after all, for $25, the adapter was included, and a few other goodies. I'm sure that I will have fun using it.

2 quick test snaps on the balcony, it started to rain so sorry for the lousy framing etc. Shot wide open, with one of the provided extension rings mounted. This lens will definitely be fun for some close-up work with funky bokeh Thank You Dog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played a little more, this lens is really good for creating a gloomy or creepy atmosphere... so much fun for so little money Happy Dog

Probably I'll use it strictly foor SOOC B&W JPG Whoo Turtle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote