Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Macro Collection - What is Next?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Macro Collection - What is Next? Reply with quote

hi,

I collected a bit of macro lenses and honestly they are my primary lenses for most of what I shoot. I do macro and lots of portraits.

Here is what I own:

MF Nikon 55/3.5 Micro P.C.
AF Nikon 60/2.8 Micro
AF Tamron 90/2.8 SP Macro
MF Nikon 105/4 Micro
MF Nikon 120 Medical Micro

That is 5 micro lenses.

There are ways I can go here. I can get :

a) faster version or upgrade version of my own current set and brand - such the upgrade model of the Tamron 90 or the AF version of the 105

b) OTHER MF lenses that are under $500 such as Bokina or Lester Dine or even an older version of my own Tamron if the optics are better

c) REAL expensive Macro lenses from Zeiss or Voigtlander in the same range

d) Macro lenses of longer range such as those in the 180

e) Skip all a-d and just get the bellows and extender - though I am not sure how they function in studio portrait work

f) do nothing at all and just stick with what I got and call it a day

I ask this because it is hard for me to gauge what I can acquire that might give me that edge since I only know what I own and I haven't used bellows for example, etc..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macro - micro?? Well, I know that marketing mixed that up quite aq bit.
Official macro starts at 1:1 (1x) to 50x. <1:1 (smaller than 1x) is "close-up"

Do you know my site http://www.macrolenses.de of "true" macro lenses (but shows less than 50% of what I have)?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basically you already have a good set of macro glass.

I'd add a Nikon AF or AIS 105/2.8 (about $400) as it's one of the best macros I ever used.

if you wish to go for more fancy (and more expensive) stuff , maybe the Zeiss 2/100 Makro might be an option, it's an amazing lens ...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosina Voigtlander Macro Apo 2.5/125mm would be a nice addition in my opinion.
Prices are already getting down more and more...

Zeiss Makro ZF 2/100mm is a great lens if you like that (sorry ZEISS, I like you and respect you since decades, but THAT was a no no ...)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Cosina Voigtlander Macro Apo 2.5/125mm would be a nice addition in my opinion.
Prices are already getting down more and more...

Zeiss Makro ZF 2/100mm is a great lens if you like that (sorry ZEISS, I like you and respect you since decades, but THAT was a no no ...)

I heard the Voigtlander Macro Apo 2.5/125mm is a dream macro lens.

I checked your site, but the problem is a) you don't provide a rating system, b) it doesn't look like many of them get adapted to Nikon easily.

You aren't recommending a longer range macro, bokina, or Lester Dine? You think I should skip all the other options and just save and get the Voigtlander?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a lot of macro lenses capable ,depends in which focal length and mount (maker)
takumar ,canon ,olympus ,etc did some good one

i ve some of them ,tak 50/4 (1:2 and 1:1), olympus 50 and 80/4 (with close-up for X2, made a 160mm) , yash. ML 100/3.5, panagor 90/2.8
and all of them are optimized for 1:10 and goes only 1/2 ,event if i've tubes ,helicoidale and bellow , exept the panagor 90/2.8 that goes to 1:1 and olympus 80/4 optimized for 1:1 (and not 1:10 like other)

and the most i use is perhaps not the best , but panagor with 1:1 and 8blades is the most used for it's convenience

if more than life size is demanded ,bellow and 28mm reversed is the best for my modest work

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a (my) lens collection that shows macro lenses and their data.
Why would I want ratings? macro lenses, especially the very specific
and exotic ones I have are excellent within certain boundaries, sometimes
only in very narrow bands. Hence "rating" makes no sense ....

The question simply is, what do you shoot, what's the magnification range,
etc etc.

A generally excellent lens is indeed the CV 2.5/125mm and I would rather save
my pennies for that (and possibly ditch a few of the lenses you have), then getting
something that is quite similar to what you already have. Time for stepping up to the
next league!!

Btw. the Leitz Makro Apo 100mm is very similar in performance than the CV 125mm,
yet quite cheaper.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a macro lens fan you must have the bokina Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would you like to be able to do that you can't with your current set?

If you like handheld macrophotography a stabilized version of the Tamron or an OS Sigma may be a good upgrade.

If you like more working distance try a 200mm Micro-Nikkor or a 180mm Tamron or Sigma. If I need even more distance I use extension tubes with a good 300mm - that would tie in with your other question about telephoto lenses. The 150mm Sigma is a very good lens and may be the best buy for working distance/price/quality/convenience.

If you want a shallower DoF for portraits get a faster lens, a 85mm f/1.4 might do the trick. I don't think there are many fast (sub f/2.Cool macro lenses other than the Apo-Lanthar and the Zeiss 100/2 that can be made to fit on a Nikon and allow infinity focus.

I wouldn't recommend an older Tamron 90 or a newer Nikon 105, those are not major improvements over the versions you've got, according to what I've read. I prefer using the Bokina and the Kiron 105 over the Tamron 90/2.5 I've got. The fun part of using old lenses is that you can buy them, try them and sell the ones that don't suit you without losing too much cash.

Looking at the lenses you've got at the moment, which ones do you like best and why?

If you want to get to higher magnifications, get some extension rings and see they work for you on your current lenses. Bellows are more cumbersome to use, but very useful when you want to get a lot closer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
What would you like to be able to do that you can't with your current set?

I haven't hit the limitation of my set so far. I have a small studio space so the 135 is nice max distance for me. I do flowers and I get good pictures with the set I have. My needs are met. My question is I am investing in other kinds of lenses - like zooms, soft-focus lenses, long-telephoto, etc. but in the end I will likely not put them to use very much. I considered getting the Tamron Soft Focus lens, but then why not just use filters or lightroom? After much thought, I recognized that my primary lenses are macros, so I wanted to check and make sure as I am spending my money on other lenses that I didn't miss out on a macro that could improve the quality of my work. I know a Voigtlander would be awesome, but my budget is less than $500 right now, so I can only dream of that one!

dickb wrote:

If you like handheld macrophotography a stabilized version of the Tamron or an OS Sigma may be a good upgrade.

I am pretty ok with the sharpness so far so stabilization isn't my highest priority.

dickb wrote:
If you like more working distance try a 200mm Micro-Nikkor or a 180mm Tamron or Sigma. If I need even more distance I use extension tubes with a good 300mm - that would tie in with your other question about telephoto lenses. The 150mm Sigma is a very good lens and may be the best buy for working distance/price/quality/convenience.

Let me try my extender with my current 100mm. This will let me know how useful a 200mm will be.

dickb wrote:
If you want a shallower DoF for portraits get a faster lens, a 85mm f/1.4 might do the trick. I don't think there are many fast (sub f/2.Cool macro lenses other than the Apo-Lanthar and the Zeiss 100/2 that can be made to fit on a Nikon and allow infinity focus.

The 85mm has popped up a few times already as a recommendation on the forum. I may have to look into it more. I don't like to do my portrait work at too shallow depth unless I am working outdoors. I don't do much outdoor work. Nevertheless, it might be a good investment.

dickb wrote:
I wouldn't recommend an older Tamron 90 or a newer Nikon 105, those are not major improvements over the versions you've got, according to what I've read. I prefer using the Bokina and the Kiron 105 over the Tamron 90/2.5 I've got. The fun part of using old lenses is that you can buy them, try them and sell the ones that don't suit you without losing too much cash.

Would the Bokina contribute noticeable difference compared to my current set or will it be marginal ?

dickb wrote:
Looking at the lenses you've got at the moment, which ones do you like best and why?

I like the Tamron and Nikon AF for portrait work, because I like to fall back on the AF and 1:1 focus in studio setting. Models want quick shots and don't want to hold a pose too long. I am pretty fast, but not fast enough when the lights get dim. I use my MF lenses for flowers and outdoor activity where the light is sufficient and I am not in a rush to focus. I admit haven't used my 55mm and Medical Nikkor yet.

dickb wrote:
If you want to get to higher magnifications, get some extension rings and see they work for you on your current lenses. Bellows are more cumbersome to use, but very useful when you want to get a lot closer.

I am ok working with bellows as long as they improve my portrait work! I am not into taking super size it pictures of bugs, at least not yet!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon May 09, 2016 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Betavaron

Just fur the fun of it

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
looking at your lens set up and your main subject, I would hve recommended something in the 180 -200 range.

I like to use the macros in that range for really tight shots where you see only part of the face. The lighting set-up often prohibits from stepping nearer thats why I need the longer working distance. The 70-200 zooms do ususally not allow that kind of shot as the minmum focal distance does not allow to get near enough and modern internal zoom and focus lenses do not take kindly to extension rings.

There are many good choices in the range.

The cheapest would be to use your Vivitar 90-180 flat field macro that was missing in the list above. Very Happy

i asked about this lens before and Attila said he sold it, but he didn't explain why he didn't like it. It seemed like it would be an excellent portrait lens for those of us who like to use macros for portraits.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the Bokina, but it's tough to find a good one. Most are quite hazy. I purchased (and returned) 4 lenses before I got lucky with the 5th, and it is in poor mechanical condition, but good optics. I could tell how sharp the lens was even with the poor ones, and it was worth the effort to find a good one. It's the sharpest dedicated macro lens I own or have tested...Ray

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Igor, you already have a good set. A good lens for you is the one that best fit your shooting style. If you shoot in studio, you have control of light and plenty of time to focus and compose, If you are in the nature, shooting fast moving insects, you need a lens that is quick to set up, and a comfortable shooting distance. As this last one is my case, I like very much the Pentax SMC-M 100mm F4 Macro, but it won't fit your system.
Here is a sample pic.
[/img]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maldaye...I'm curious what you finally decided to do?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided and bought a Tamron SP 70-210mm F/3.5-4 and Tamron SP 70~210mmF/3.5 as flat field zoom vs the vivitar 90-180mm.
I am also hunting for an affordable copy of the Bokina. If I find myself shooting a lot in the 200mm range, I'll be getting an 180mm 1:1 macro from Tamron.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maldaye wrote:
I decided and bought a Tamron SP 70-210mm F/3.5-4 and Tamron SP 70~210mmF/3.5 as flat field zoom vs the vivitar 90-180mm.
I am also hunting for an affordable copy of the Bokina. If I find myself shooting a lot in the 200mm range, I'll be getting an 180mm 1:1 macro from Tamron.

Not sure if you also considered the Tamron SP 70-210 19AH 3.5. It has better color and contrast comparing to 52B(F3.5-4) but the CA is worse. I own both versions and I do like the 70-210 3.5-4 a bit better for macro but the contrast on the 19AH is to die for. Smile