Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Recommend me a Telephoto lens for MD mount (Minolta X-700)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:09 am    Post subject: Recommend me a Telephoto lens for MD mount (Minolta X-700) Reply with quote

Hello every one, I'm looking for a recommendation on a nice telephoto lens for the Minolta MD mount. Problem is I've only got about $60 to spend on it.

The issue is I've got a Maxxum 7000 and an Sony A-33 so I've been trying to get lens's for those two cameras (Beercan 70-200, 35-105, 50) Whereas for the X-700 I've got some Minoltas, a 28 f3.5, 50 macro, 58 f1.4, and a Soligor 35-105 f3.5. I do have a 2X teleconverter from Saitex but I'd like to get a dedicated teleprime of some kind so that no matter which bag I choose I've got a proper range of lens's. (The digital and Maxxum are in one bag the X-700 has its own.)

I was thinking of something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/201040995614?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT this Minolta Rokkor 200mm at F3.5 it's fast and I'd only be losing a stop and a half with the teleconverter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might like to consider the Minolta MD Tele Rokkor-X 300mm f/5.6
There is more here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/minolta-md-tele-rokkor-x-300mm-f-5-6-t59566,highlight,%2Bminolta.html

Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

choice for telephoto MD lenses is huge, cool booklet scanned by me is to be found there:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_aKWZEK9sWYSmxwR3NXbWw4UUU/edit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
You might like to consider the Minolta MD Tele Rokkor-X 300mm f/5.6
There is more here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/minolta-md-tele-rokkor-x-300mm-f-5-6-t59566,highlight,%2Bminolta.html

Cheers
OH

+1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheap and good.. the Komine made Vivitar 3.5/200mm

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a Telephoto lens for MD mount (Minolta X-70 Reply with quote

Bronze Knight wrote:
Hello every one, I'm looking for a recommendation on a nice telephoto lens for the Minolta MD mount. Problem is I've only got about $60 to spend on it.

The issue is I've got a Maxxum 7000 and an Sony A-33 so I've been trying to get lens's for those two cameras (Beercan 70-200, 35-105, 50) Whereas for the X-700 I've got some Minoltas, a 28 f3.5, 50 macro, 58 f1.4, and a Soligor 35-105 f3.5. I do have a 2X teleconverter from Saitex but I'd like to get a dedicated teleprime of some kind so that no matter which bag I choose I've got a proper range of lens's. (The digital and Maxxum are in one bag the X-700 has its own.)

I was thinking of something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/201040995614?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT this Minolta Rokkor 200mm at F3.5 it's fast and I'd only be losing a stop and a half with the teleconverter

The Rokkor 200mm f3.5 as listed in ebay, this is the one I would recommend. I have it and its a fabulous lens. It is big and heavy but on the X700 (I have one of those too) it sits comfortably in the hand. I use it on the NEX too and its a little unwieldy then.

go for it. Rokkors are not too expensive.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best big lens I've had for the money is a Tamron 54B 300 / 5.6. Which is sharp, light, compact - compared to a Tair 300 / 5.6 anyway, and a very tidy one cost me £10 at the camera fair. I haven't tried it in a shootoff with the Tair yet, but I'm confident the Tamron is as good.

For a zoom, the Vivitar Series 1 70-210 is excellent, and with a bit of searching the Tokina AT-X SD 80-200 / 2.8 can be found for sensible money, and that's great lens.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a Telephoto lens for MD mount (Minolta X-70 Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The 300mm have either gone up in price or aren't available, I'll keep my eye on the 200mm, I've found a few, have to see if I can snipe one.

philslizzy wrote:

The Rokkor 200mm f3.5 as listed in ebay, this is the one I would recommend. I have it and its a fabulous lens. It is big and heavy but on the X700 (I have one of those too) it sits comfortably in the hand. I use it on the NEX too and its a little unwieldy then.

Would you happen to know how tall/long it is with the caps on? wanted to see if it'll fin in the bag nicely.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a Telephoto lens for MD mount (Minolta X-70 Reply with quote

Bronze Knight wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The 300mm have either gone up in price or aren't available, I'll keep my eye on the 200mm, I've found a few, have to see if I can snipe one.

philslizzy wrote:

Would you happen to know how tall/long it is with the caps on? wanted to see if it'll fin in the bag nicely.

The 300mm with caps is just shy of 9 inches.
I don't have a Rokkor 200mm but other 200's are between 6 and 7 inches with caps normally.
Hope this helps
OH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does, Thank you. I'll have to either take out the flash or the 50 macro (which I don't use much anyway) but the 200mm would fit nicely.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been awhile sense I shot with them, but the Minolta 200 f4 would be a good choice.
Earlier Mc versión is longer and heavier but supposed to be sharper Wide open.
MD versión smaller and lighter. This is the versión I prefer.
Really like this lense.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the Rokkor on the right and a Soligor 200 f3.5 on the left. both the same size and a tad under 15cm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit off topic.......but I've gotta ask, why have you got a ruler with "getting bigger and better" on it? Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
A bit off topic.......but I've gotta ask, why have you got a ruler with "getting bigger and better" on it? Laughing

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy why do you think big boy?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could get a M42 adapter and then there are all the German and Russian lenses too. I use an adapter for my 135's.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron Adaptall is a practical choice for you then you can use on both cameras (once you've acquired the relevent mounts*). Lloydy has already mentioned the 54B, but the 200mm 04B is typically half the price on eb and more readily available and just as good IMO.

*orig MD adaptall mounts are easily available for next to nothing, for sony a third party one from the far east is whats readily available