Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 40-2 Nikon mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Helios 40-2 Nikon mount Reply with quote

Hi
I saw this lens on few ebay auctions . It claims to have F mount and no need for an adapter...cool ...love the looks of the photos taken with it . My issues is that the mount looks like old pre-AI mount and not sure if it can be safely mounted on D7100 . Also...few sellers have disclaimers..."Attention! Due to quite old production technology brand new Helios 40-2 may have a small amount of dust between the lenses, or air bubbles in the glass itself. It has got much better than at the time of re-launch, but it still might happen. The manufacturer position is as follows: small amount of dust or 1-2 air bubble/-s do not affect light transition in any visible way, and because of that, they do not inflict any damage to picture quality. So the manufacturer does not consider this a lens flaw or defect." Would that be something to worry about ? I did contact the seller about the mount .. reply said it should fit all the "F" mounts...Any of you have any experience with this lens and if it's O.K to use it on D7100 ?
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubble never affect IQ. Same for dust, if it's small.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ...that at least puts one of my worries to rest...still have to make sure that mount is compatible with D7100

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only when dust becomes a layer does it cause IQ problems.... Veiling flare/glow.
Bubbles were a sign of high quality glass at one time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darrski wrote:
Thanks ...that at least puts one of my worries to rest...still have to make sure that mount is compatible with D7100

Because there isn't any linkage between lens and camera, it is safe to use on any nikon body.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flaviomaia wrote:
darrski wrote:

Because there isn't any linkage between lens and camera, it is safe to use on any nikon body.

Quite likely, however .............
The Nikon DSLR bodies like the D7000, 7100 have a linkage pin on a ring that surrounds the lens mounting bracket on the camera itself. This must be free to rotate. If the lens is not AI or AI-s type, then the lens itself may foul this ring and pin causing it to jam - and result in damage to the camera.
Worth checking
OH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank OH...that's what I'm trying to find out...I did have to get couple of Nikon "F" mount lenses mounts modified (machined) to AI spec in order to be safely mounted on D7100...it wasn't too much...about $30CND ..and got the vintage lenses cheap enough to justify the cost..but seeing the mount on 1 picture...(could not find any more) it looks like pre-AI and there is not even a flange around to get it machined ?????

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon May 09, 2016 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
flaviomaia wrote:
darrski wrote:

Quite likely, however .............
The Nikon DSLR bodies like the D7000, 7100 have a linkage pin on a ring that surrounds the lens mounting bracket on the camera itself. This must be free to rotate. If the lens is not AI or AI-s type, then the lens itself may foul this ring and pin causing it to jam - and result in damage to the camera.
Worth checking
OH

Yes I know that.

Just searched for some images on google and will fit without any problem.
It is a "flat" mount without a skirt around of it.

Last edited by flaviomaia on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Thanks everyone Smile . I think I'm going pull the trigger on this glass...the images I'd seen on this site are too good not to Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love to see some shots darrski when you get it.