Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sun Optical 21mm wide-angle F/3.8 M42 should i buy it?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Sun Optical 21mm wide-angle F/3.8 M42 should i buy it? Reply with quote

Hello,
EDIT DOWN.
I was offered Sun Optical 21mm wide-angle F/3.8 for Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm f2.8 Zebra.
Here are some images of the offered lens:

Is it a good lens, any test opinions?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT!
Here are some preview images, i decided not to buy, i have a 8mm Samyang now Smile))
The names are the "f"s.

Last edited by rtodorovsky on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting for curiosity value. From a period when independent makers were just beginning to venture into lenses wider than 28mm. Probably not an outsanding lens. Physical characteristics (Italic font on aperture and distance markings, Nikon/Pentax focus direction and "E" in serial) indicate a lens manufactured by Sankor.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very similar to the common lens sold in T4 interchangeable mount under the Soligor and Vivitar brands. Its different as that one has a 72mm filter.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depend from price if low enough for gamble , take a risk . I bought and try a Spiratone 18mm , it is excellent lens.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
depend from price if low enough for gamble , take a risk . I bought and try a Spiratone 18mm , it is excellent lens.

Well he wants to trade me for the Flek, but i'm not quite sure if it's worth it. The Flek i battered, but works fine. I'm selling it, here in Bulgaria, for 130 euro. This is the average price of Flek's. So suggestions? I was thinking of testing it prior to buying, so probably if he agrees i will test it, and post some photos, i will appreciate your professional opinion, as i'm a beginner with zest but little knowledge. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

75 EUR to risk is fine, 130 EUR is not. To chance get a lemon lot higher than to get a good one, ask him for a try , shoot at f8 in good light from tripod ,shoot to closer and to infinity. Go home look pictures and you can decide what should you do.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
75 EUR to risk is fine, 130 EUR is not. To chance get a lemon lot higher than to get a good one, ask him for a try , shoot at f8 in good light from tripod ,shoot to closer and to infinity. Go home look pictures and you can decide what should you do.

Well for a person with a 700 EUR salary 75 EUR is a lot Smile). Thank you very much for your suggestions. I will post test shots later.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do what Attila says and test the 21mm before you decide to swap.

I have the same Flek as you and love it because it can do close images as well as decent building size images on my Pentax K200D...it is a great all round lens.The other is unknown.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Do what Attila says and test the 21mm before you decide to swap.

I have the same Flek as you and love it because it can do close images as well as decent building size images on my Pentax K200D...it is a great all round lens.The other is unknown.

Yeah, that's what i think also. Will see how the 21mm works. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
Interesting for curiosity value. From a period when independent makers were just beginning to venture into lenses wider than 28mm. Probably not an outsanding lens. Physical characteristics (Italic font on aperture and distance markings, Nikon/Pentax focus direction and "E" in serial) indicate a lens manufactured by Sankor.

Thanks. Is there a database where i can get that kind of info?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello rtodorovsky, I don't know this lens too but last month I aquired a Soligor 2.8/20. It's a solid performer but not as good as my Pentax 16-45 @20mm. I would imagine, stopped down to F8 your 21 should perform well too.If the 3.8/21 does not fullfill your requirements you can have my soligor for the price I paid for it.

Timo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted some photos on top.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I found interesting is that in this (seemingly) exhaustive list of 25 Sun Optical lenses, to include both prime and zoom lenses, the 21mm is not listed:

http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/manuals/Sun-Opt/201

(click "Sun Optical Lens (26)" to see the list)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
What I found interesting is that in this (seemingly) exhaustive list of 25 Sun Optical lenses, to include both prime and zoom lenses, the 21mm is not listed:

Makes sense: it's Sankor Smile.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
guardian wrote:

Makes sense: it's Sankor Smile.

Acknowledged . . . . and agreed. Thanks. I didn't pick that up on my own. I didn't catch the "E" in the serial number. I was going by the OP, which is wrong.

Here is another thread regarding this same matter:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=32184

and a photo of another such prime, a 135mm, also with the "E"

http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20108/2562_sun_135_35_pic2_1.jpg

and not Sun Optical.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kadlubek's Lens catalogue mentions:
Sun Optical Co Japan
Sun FM Auto: 21mm
Aperture range: 3,8-16
Elements/groups: 10
Aperture type: Auto
Filter: E62
Distance from: o,2m
Mount: M42 and Baj.
Average value: 60 and 70 EUR
Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quidam wrote:
Kadlubek's Lens catalogue mentions:
Sun Optical Co Japan
Sun FM Auto: 21mm
Aperture range: 3,8-16
Elements/groups: 10
Aperture type: Auto
Filter: E62
Distance from: o,2m
Mount: M42 and Baj.
Average value: 60 and 70 EUR
Smile

Hmmmmmm

http://www.praktica-collector.de/images/Kadlubek_lens.jpg

The mystery deepens. Is it possible Mr. Kadlubek is unaware it's Sankor? Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a couple of Sun lenses that had exactly the same lettering style on the barrel as this, so are you sure it's made by Sankor?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been a couple on ebay just recently, so deffo a Sankor:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUN seems to distributed some Sankor made lenses. Why not.