Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Chromatic Aberration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Chromatic Aberration Reply with quote

Is CA a lens design issue or can it vary from sample to sample within a given design? In other words is it down to design or down to manufacturing tolerances and factory assembly?

I have acquired a lens with blue fringing in high contrast areas and I am contemplating trying another copy. Would this be wise? It is quite cheap to buy although its retail price was high back in the day.

The lens is ISCO AV Cinelux 3.5/110-200 for 35mm projection

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, sample variation can have an effect on CA as it can with any aberration. However, I would say CA is primarily a function of the optical design. Note, though, that the interaction with the micro-lenses on the sensor array of a digital camera can make the inherent CA of lens worse. It is therefore possible, in principal, for a given lens to give different CA on different (digital) cameras.

As you find your current sample of this lens unsatisfactory, I would think you would be unlikely to find another sample appreciably better.

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manufacturing tolerances have improved over the years, so yes I think there are variances with any old lens designs. I don't know this lens but CA is generally trivial to fix in post these days. No sense chasing a "perfect" copy if you otherwise like the results of what you have.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a cine/projection lens would possibly behave differently than a lens designed for a slr. Read up about Rudolf kingslake and lens designs...he is an amazing man,very easy to read.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly, lens design. CA stems from light focusing at different points as it bends through the lens (because of wavelengths). So blue light being a shorter wavelength bends more than green and red causing the different color spectra to be in different places on the media. Stopping down can largely rectify CA.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have few lenses with CA and I wanted to find better copies but then I decided to live with that. With Photoshop you can remove CA easily. Also the use of filter, like the Haze 2A in the link below, may help.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3515049

I got a Tiffen Haze 2A filter and it actually can reduce 30-50% CA depending on the lens. Maybe it's because of different coatings.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The strange thing is there is no other CA like magenta green yellow etc. It is only blue and only in specular and around borders of white on black.

Otherwise the lens is remarkably sharp and easy to mount

Perhaps I can disassemble it and spin the elements around a bit in their retainers to see if it makes a difference...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The strange thing is there is no other CA like magenta green yellow etc. It is only blue and only in specular and around borders of white on black.

Otherwise the lens is remarkably sharp and easy to mount

Perhaps I can disassemble it and spin the elements around a bit in their retainers to see if it makes a difference...

My Pentax and Samyang lenses also show only green CA. I had the same thought and tried disassembling, rotating, cleaning, and finally, the CA is still there Evil or Very Mad