Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Royal Mail - GLS Parcel Service
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Royal Mail - GLS Parcel Service Reply with quote

Today I got big surprise I got a package from UK and I didn't find it in Hungarian Postal Service tracking system.
Package was delivered on 2th of July according to Royal Mail tracking, but not sticker on door nothing. I thought this is summer time, perhaps postal service has less people in work so I did wait 5 days. NOTHING... okay I went to local post office and ask for letter or package both possible due wait was 2kg. Result nothing, tracking number wasn't in officer computer. I was a little bit angry, luckily another officer did know it. Royal Mail did brake or not continue contract with Hungarian Post , they did give package transfer job to GLS Parcel ... Damn.. I did call GLS Parcel service, oh yes they did try to delivery but they couldn't (due I not stay all time at home, big surprise ..) I did ask them what can I do to get my package , they said they can try to delivery it again, I did ask them we can arrange a delivery time or they call me once they are here. Answer no call from their side and they can give me only date of delivery, nice so I can sit at home or try to call them again look courier instead of just simple go to post office in my district and pick my package up.
So I did ask them where are their offices ? They have only one! 25km from Budapest , so if I wish to pick up package I have to drive 50km on both way throw a crowd city outer ring... I did try it, it took 2 hrs in 40-45 C and drive a few km/hrs at many places. Once I got their office I have walk 5 minutes around their warehouse and find little room when I got my package.
Finally Hungarian Postal Service is 100+ yrs old under 5 yrs and over 1000+ packages I never lost any by Hungarian Postal Service, their service always was cheapest way to send and fast.

I ask you dear Royal Mail , why did you change it to this sh* ?

And if this is not enough same time I bought something from Germany, sent by Deutsche Post it is went to Ukraine ... perhaps also was done with a super precise courier DHL damn..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I had a very similar story with RoyalMail handing the package to GLS when delivering to me in Berlin.

Long story short, the tracking number said "Attempted delivery", but no notice has been left. I visited my local post office to no avail (the employee spent good 10-15 minutes searching the warehouse). So I contacted the seller, he started an investigation with RoyalMail, and in about a week he was able to track it down to a particular delivery company: GLS. After contacting GLS, he was able to fetch their own tracking number (different from what RoyalMail has provided). Using that tracking number, I was able to find which GLS shop held the parcel. I visited that shop in the evening of that same day, only to find out the parcel went back to the UK marked "undelivered".

Extremely poor service from GLS, and a huge case of lack/misscommunication from RoyalMail. Why did they need to contract GLS for God's sake? DeutschePost/DHL has never failed on me, no problem ever.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
Hey, I had a very similar story with RoyalMail handing the package to GLS when delivering to me in Berlin.

Long story short, the tracking number said "Attempted delivery", but no notice has been left. I visited my local post office to no avail (the employee spent good 10-15 minutes searching the warehouse). So I contacted the seller, he started an investigation with RoyalMail, and in about a week he was able to track it down to a particular delivery company: GLS. After contacting GLS, he was able to fetch their own tracking number (different from what RoyalMail has provided). Using that tracking number, I was able to find which GLS shop held the parcel. I visited that shop in the evening of that same day, only to find out the parcel went back to the UK marked "undelivered".

Extremely poor service from GLS, and a huge case of lack/misscommunication from RoyalMail. Why did they need to contract GLS for God's sake? DeutschePost/DHL has never failed on me, no problem ever.

Yes, exactly same case, Royal Mail directors got some pocket money I think...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
Why did they need to contract GLS for God's sake?

Because they own it ?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost had the same.
Luckily the seller printed my mobile number on the package and the delivery man called me and we could arrange a meeting at my University on the next day Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, GLS Evil or Very Mad

But (at least over here) Hermes is even worse. Best is still the Austrian Postal Service. If I'm not at home, I can pick my parcels up at the shop right around the corner.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoilerhead wrote:
Seriously, GLS Evil or Very Mad

But (at least over here) Hermes is even worse. Best is still the Austrian Postal Service. If I'm not at home, I can pick my parcels up at the shop right around the corner.

Bingo... nobody can beat postal services,if everything works same than postal services we don't have financial crises Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mixed feelings about the courier services.
On the one hand, the courier will drop my parcels off at the village shop and I can collect it later - nine times out of ten that's ok.
The problem arose twice recently - he'd phoned me and when I didn't answer because there's a weak signal here, he dropped the parcels at the shop. It so happened on both occasions I was in the house waiting for the deliveries and was not happy at having to trail down to the village in the cold and wet when the lazy b'std should have had them here at my door.
The Post Office, on the other hand, delivers them without fail, at no inconvenience to me and I have an arrangement with the postman that if I'm not in he knows what oil drum to leave them under Smile For that reason, I prefer sellers who send via USPS from the US, or via their own Post Office, which then gets handed over to my Post Office.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Postal Service relies on at least two organizations: postal service of your country and that of the destination. If one of those is unreliable, you get problems. I've had only one lens lost so far: when sending it by post to Italy. The letter reached the border and suddenly got lost. Luckily, German postal service reimbursed the lost value, so no harm was done. You draw your own conclusions, mine is to never send a lens by post abroad without enough insurance. On the other hand, DHL has been 100% reliable so far. My understanding is that they use their own network for delivery, independent of local postal services.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to use Royal Mail standard drlivery for small items within the UK. Anything that has to be signed for is a major PITA. I've seen drivers pull up, take a look and drive off. The collection office is only open while I'm at work and the phone number you get on the card - if you're lucky enough to get one doesnt connect you to the service you need.

I only post small items by 2nd class post - paying extra for first isnt worth it. They take the same time.

I use Hermes within the uk for anything bigger then 1kg ir cheaper and there is free insurance etc... www.myhermes.co.uk

I will never send abroad. 100% failure rate so far.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got many packages now from UK throw Royal Mail and GLS, none of them lost , one was lost at Christmas, sorting office did push to wrong office, but finally did arrive. I am happy customer now.