Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Please help in figuring out mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Please help in figuring out mount Reply with quote

Hi, I need some help figuring out what mount this lens is in. It used to belong to my grandfather and was mounted on the camera seen in the picture. From what I've been able to gather it's a "Reanoc-44" 58mm f2 lens, probably a Soviet copy of some other lens, as the camera it is mounted on is also a Soviet copy of a different camera. I can't figure out if it's a m42 mount, and if it's screwmount or w/e. Had researched it a few months ago and came up dry (besides seeing some mention of Helios 44, and m42 mount), never having actually seen this particular lens anywhere (with the aperture blade knob on the side)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help in figuring out mount Reply with quote

TheAbsurd wrote:
Hi, I need some help figuring out what mount this lens is in.

Upload your photos once more. First-time posters can't upload photos - a spam protection measure on this forum. They should load on your second post.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help in figuring out mount Reply with quote

konicamera wrote:
TheAbsurd wrote:
Hi, I need some help figuring out what mount this lens is in.

Upload your photos once more. First-time posters can't upload photos - a spam protection measure on this forum. They should load on your second post.

Thanks, was wondering why it showed at first then disappeared... Confused

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This camera is an old Soviet Start from the early 1960s. It has a proprietary breech mount that, apparently, no other camera does. There is more info about it at http://www.sovietcams.com/index.php?-766619675 It looks in good shape. Does ti work?
I have a later Zenit 3M from 1965 that looks very similar, but has a M39 thread mount and the shutter release on the top deck. Very solid and well made cameras they are.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konicamera wrote:
This camera is an old Soviet Start from the early 1960s. It has a proprietary breech mount that, apparently, no other camera does. There is more info about it at http://www.sovietcams.com/index.php?-766619675 It looks in good shape. Does ti work?
I have a very similar camera, but with a M39 thread mount and the shutter release on the top deck, not unlike some later Zeniths.

Wow, excellent find, you're quite the Google wiz Very Happy I had it checked out by a high-school photography teacher some 8 years ago and he said it works but needs cleaning (possibly sand in the shutter mechanism). I can wind it up and shoot it, but the shutter tends to stick towards the end of its closing action and then slowly drifts till it closes. I take it there is no way to adapt this lens to an e-mount then? That's a shame, wanted to give it a new life on an a6000.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheAbsurd wrote:
I take it there is no way to adapt this lens to an e-mount then? That's a shame, wanted to give it a new life on an a6000.

This might be possible, depending on flange to film (register) distance, but you will most likely have to go DIY, as I doubt there are any adapters for this lens mount. If the register is similar to M42 or M39 (I think it should be in the ballpark), it may be possible to replace the rear plate o the lens with something that would give you more space to work with.
As an alternative, you could pick up another one of those Helios 44 lenses. They are plentiful, quite cheap and if you're willing to settle for oily blades (you'll have to stop down manually in any case) you'll get it fer even less. You may have to try several before you find a really nice one, however (quality control in the ol' U of SSR wasn't what we'd wish for), but when you find it you'll be glad you went to the trouble, as they produce wonderful images. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having read the info supplied by the link I had a thought or two (just from simple observation and may be wrong) . . .

The "outrigger" and mount remind me of a reversed exa mount. I tend to wonder if it was simply a soviet exa copy like other soviet copies of hasselblads, leicas, and pentacons . . .

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Please help in figuring out mount Reply with quote

TheAbsurd wrote:
From what I've been able to gather it's a "Reanoc-44" 58mm f2 lens, probably a Soviet copy of some other lens, as the camera it is mounted on is also a Soviet copy of a different camera.

Start isn't actually a copy of some other camera. Soviet SLR:s do have a different genealogy, they are originally rangefinders with added mirror-boxes. That's why the strange m39 SLR lenses too.