Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 28-200
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject: Vivitar 28-200 Reply with quote

I am trying to access the front element on mine to remove a fair sized fungus spot and some dust. I'm having a job working out how to do this, I've tried a rubber sheet on a plastic cap that fits spot on but it will not release the name plate which I assumed should undo anti clockwise. Any help greatly appreciated.

Steve.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The name plate is glued on. Try lifting it gently. Mine fell off when I dropped the lens - they are front-heavy!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that.

I'm going in...

Steve.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant get the bugger off Twisted Evil I tried soaking in ipa overnight and that hasn't made any difference. What a bloody silly idea glueing that name ring in was.

Any more suggestions ...

Steve.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soaking in India Pale Ale overnight usually comes to nothing. Have you tried Guinness?

To be honest, these are pretty good lenses, I have had several in Miranda, Sigma, Vivitar and another name all exactly the same. But they can be found dirt cheap. Have a look round - you can get them for less than £20.

It may be the easier option.

The plastic bezel is really thin flimsy plastic, and if it is screwed in may require a more delicate touch. A method I use is a thick worm of blu-tak stuck to the bezel and pressed into my palm turned firmly. Other than that I can't help you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been soaking in India Pale Ale for about two hours and find the effect quite enjoyable.

Regarding the 28-200, determination and patience are the watchwords. They were manufactured in a time when assembly efficiency was paramount and service efficiency not considered.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I finaly got the front element out. Ignoring the name ring, I put the lens in a plastic bag and smashed the front glass out with a pin hammer. A slightly unorthodox approach maybe, but very satisfying. This allowed me to get a pair of wire cutters onto the name ring and rip it out and reveal yet another retaining ring. This was much easier to mangle and tear out being thinner and more fragile. I then bashed the body on my desk and BINGO, the second element popped out along with various other rings that were amazingly unglued or riveted in place (and were actualy loose)
This then allowed access to the third element where the tiny spot of fungus was. I litteraly rubbed this off with my thumb and thus my work was done,
I then lubricated myself thoroughly, end of problem!

All in all, I would say that as an excercise in taking command of this very stressful situation this was an unmitigated success and well worth the ten quid I paid for the sodding thing.

If you need any further advice on this proceedure please feel free to ask.

Steve.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't need any help to do that, I've got the T shirt. Laughing

I might start a cottage industry and make these. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want one!! I usually lay mine on a railroad track and let the freight train do the heavy work.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bychance wrote:
...A slightly unorthodox approach maybe...

Sorry, I don't think so. It looks to me like the perfect approach to this matter Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just started surgery on a canon FL 50mm F1.8, a lens that for me is a thing of infinite beauty. This has what appears to be un-removeable clouding or etching to the front and back elements on the outside of the glass that will not come off using all the normal approaches.

So, I will leave this lens staring at the punished Vivitar 28-200 overnight and see if I can frighten it into mint condition Cool

Sometimes you just have to be cruel to be kind Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bychance wrote:
I have just started surgery on a canon FL 50mm F1.8, a lens that for me is a thing of infinite beauty. This has what appears to be un-removeable clouding or etching to the front and back elements on the outside of the glass that will not come off using all the normal approaches.

So, I will leave this lens staring at the punished Vivitar 28-200 overnight and see if I can frighten it into mint condition Cool

Sometimes you just have to be cruel to be kind Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
I want one!! I usually lay mine on a railroad track and let the freight train do the heavy work.

It's easy Big Dawg. Leave the front element in, rip everything else apart, then glue the two barrels together with silicone sealant - or 'No Nails'. I had black silicone, and I wipe the excess off with a soapy rag. Job done! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I am remembering the right lens, I think there is a screw on the side or underneath the name ring that holds it on.