Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How colour shifts meaning of a photo
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: How colour shifts meaning of a photo Reply with quote

I would like to submit to you this photo. First is the original in colour, second is B&W conversion:

In the colour version, the attention is grabbed by the jacket, the colours (blue white and gold), and the crisp rendition of the Summicron lens.

In the B&W version, the attention shifts immediately on the face of the girl instead.

The consequence is that the colour photo is perceived as a "genre" photo, representation of a public event, colourful etc.

On the contrary, the B&W photo is perceived more as a portrait. The face of the girl, finally commending attention, takes us to think about who may she be looking at, what could be in her mind, etc.

A simple B&W conversion can really, under certain circumstances, change not only the face but also the "inside" of a photo.

I am realizing that practicing B&W conversions is very useful also for our colour photography. We may not keep (and probably will not keep) the B&W experiments, but our colour photography will become more conscious and aware of what is working in a photo and where does it take us. And this ultimately will lead us making better photo choices from the start.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always liked doing B&W conversions, just to see how it might change
the picture's personality. In yours, the B&W pulls the subject out away from
the background more I think, along with drawing the attention to the face.

She's babelicious, luv a girl in uniform! Wink Unfortunate crop at the
bottom, BTW, would've liked to have seen the "whole ensemble". Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think the people in the background is more "in the background" in the B&W. Nice!

Good idea for a forum also, "Art Talk".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Orio, but take in counts that the B&W conversion has more balanced tones than the coloured one where the girl has everything except a good light on her face.

Btw, this forum section is a GENIAL idea.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent demonstration Orio, it helps me to understand a bit more of the philosophy of photography.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good point - but how about the way different black and white conversions of the same picture look? I find that fascinating too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one who thinks the focus in the B/W does not shift to the face? Attention - for me - remains at the jacket, especially in the B/W.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was digging in this part of the forum and ran across this old thread.
Very valid demonstration! Having shot for 6 months almost exclusively with a dedicated B&W-camera (which does not register colour-information at all) a side-effect is that I have become a lot more aware of colour too, in particular what it adds to a scene, but also what it sometimes takes away.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fotomachi wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks the focus in the B/W does not shift to the face? Attention - for me - remains at the jacket, especially in the B/W.

Apparently, yes. Brains are wired to see faces - when not distracted by colour (is it a wasp/sabre-toothed tiger - awareness of sabre-toothed tigers is of course the major shaping factor on the development of humanity) - we're straight to the face.