Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schneider Super Xenar 2.8/50mm T2 mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Schneider Super Xenar 2.8/50mm T2 mount Reply with quote

Today I finished a new lens rehousing.
It is one of my favorite lenses, I made one for Leica M39 as well but I measured the focal flange distance and I see that it is possible to use the lens with SLR cameras as well.
I try to give all lenses a T2 univesal mount because I don´t know what kind of camera system I want to use in the next years.
This near were computed in the early 1930th by A.W. Tronnier for Schneider.
He were not pleased with the optical quality of four element Tessar type, or Xenar, lenses and the speed of f/2.8
The Tessar from Zeiss with f/2.8 is not good usable full open, Zeiss said about this lenses that it can be used for soft focus pictures, really good usable at f/4 or below.

Tronnier designed a new kind of lenses, the rear is similar to the Xenar/Tessar but the front has now three single elements and this gives the lens a new class of quality.
This Xenar lenses are known under the name Super Xenar. It were made in 75mm focus as well and with f/2.8 also.

The 50mm lens were sold under the name Xenar and Xenon as well but both with f/2.8
Under this name it is often found with the Kodak Retina camera.

For me it is the best pre war standard lens of all.

Now the lens has a helicoid and can be focus between oo-0.5m
It has an aperture with 15 blades.

The first picture shows the Retina Xenon 2.8/50mm I adapted for Leica
The second picture shows the Xenar 2.8/50mm in T2 mount and with Nikon F adapter.
Samples I made with this lens are found in my Flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cinegon/albums/72157712004243146/with/51659449563/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first samples I made today.
Ilford HP5+, Wehner Developer, Nikon F4
Schneider Xenar 2.8/50mm