Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon 50/1.2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Nikon 50/1.2 Reply with quote

I can't find many examples from this lens around the forum, so here's a couple from a trip I took yesterday.

Wide open and straight out of camera, zero editing. The sharpness at this aperture is surprisingly good. Using a 5D Mk2.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you find focus at f1.2? Do you have a custom focus screen fitted?
I don't find the OVF on my D600 adequate at these apertures, the rangefinder dot is OK, but focus and recompose can throw out focus when DOF is so thin. I try to focus on the eyeball, as focussing on the eyelashes can leave the actual eyeball soft.
My solution is to use live view, with a LCD loupe attached, then the in-focus edges buzz a bit. Seems to work anyway - I will try and get some examples up.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, great photos , what was the f/ number?
I love this lens although it's pretty hard to focus wide open, the DOF is very narrow...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basilisk wrote:
I don't find the OVF on my D600 adequate at these apertures, the rangefinder dot is OK, but focus and recompose can throw out focus when DOF is so thin. I try to focus on the eyeball, as focussing on the eyelashes can leave the actual eyeball soft.
My solution is to use live view, with a LCD loupe attached, then the in-focus edges buzz a bit. Seems to work anyway - I will try and get some examples up.

I have the Eg-S focusing screen and it helps, but with the dof so thin here it doesn't make a big difference really. Good eyesight is more important.
When working with such a thin dof I'll multi shoot the subject while making minor adjustments to focus, that way I'll nail the focus most of the time. I don't mean rapid firing, just focus-shoot, refocus-shoot, refocus-shoot, etc.

If I'm using a tripod it's because the subject is stationary, so I can take the time to check focus with live view, focus peaking, whatever. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Igor wrote:
I love this lens although it's pretty hard to focus wide open, the DOF is very narrow...

These were shot at f1.2
Yeah it's really hard to focus with this lens wide open but it's worth putting the effort in. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
Igor wrote:

These were shot at f1.2
Yeah it's really hard to focus with this lens wide open but it's worth putting the effort in. Smile

From your shots it seems like it was worth the effort. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
SonicScot wrote:
Igor wrote:

These were shot at f1.2

From your shots it seems like it was worth the effort. Smile

Thank you Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick sample here @ f1.2

A recently bought lens (AI version, 7 blades) so I am still playing around with it. As I mentioned, live view with a magnifying loupe seems to be the best option for focussing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice example.
Mine also has seven blades. The focus is a little dry now but it still works perfectly, like most Nikons of this age.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basilisk wrote:

Why I have kept a D700 with a KatzEye focusing screen instead up going to a D600 or 800E. The green dot is not accurate at all and the standard focusing screen is optimized for ƒ/2.5 or thereabouts. Without focus peaking, standard DSLR's without the ability to interchange focusing screens simply aren't a meaningful platform for MF lenses. To me, the biggest disappointment of the Dƒ and the greatest appeal of the Sony a7.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james wrote:
Basilisk wrote:

Why I have kept a D700 with a KatzEye focusing screen instead up going to a D600 or 800E. The green dot is not accurate at all and the standard focusing screen is optimized for ƒ/2.5 or thereabouts. Without focus peaking, standard DSLR's without the ability to interchange focusing screens simply aren't a meaningful platform for MF lenses. To me, the biggest disappointment of the Dƒ and the greatest appeal of the Sony a7.

I haven't tried the D700, and I don't know how good live view is, but by adding a cheap magnifying LCD loupe to my D600 LCD it does function almost like a Sony viewfinder. Try it. The aliasing on the in-focus edges causes a buzz, a bit like focus peaking. I use picture profile settings with maximum sharpness (doesn't affect raw) to increase the effect. I can get repeatable in-focus shots at f1.2 fairly quickly.
Major downside is battery drain.

On the other hand if someone gave me an A7, I wouldn't throw it away Wink