Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

HELIOS 44-2 2/58 - which one?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: HELIOS 44-2 2/58 - which one? Reply with quote

Hi there:

I am new to the manual focus lenses and have been doing a bit research...

I would love to mount a Helios 44-2 on my Fujifilm X-E1 -

Can someone help me select the right HELIOS 44-2 58mm f/2.0? I read somewhere that the black version doesn't focus as well as the chrome version.. Is there any truth to that?

I understand that these lenses are manufactured in many variants at different factories and which "version" would you pick?

Or there isn't really that many differences in real life use?

Any input is greatly appreciated..

cheers,

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My black 44-2 focuses quit well. It is smooth and precise. If yours needs to be relubrificated, there are videos on You Tube which explain how to service a M44-2.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are versions with 13, 8 and 6 aperture blades. All give slightly different bokeh. 13 bladed ones are usually oldest and in M39 mount. I have oldest, made around 1962 and newest, made in 1997 helioses. Newer offers better quality (higher contrast).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And all will give you that swirly wurly durly hurly out of focus background. Razz

just get the cheapest. You are buying a toy after all.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite 44-2 is the 44-3 Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeec wrote:
My favourite 44-2 is the 44-3 Smile

Seems to be a general consensus.
OH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

44-6 and 44-7 are a bit sharper.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all - I went ahead and bought a nice and clean one today... I look forward to the day it arrives.

cheers,

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an owner of several Helios 44M lenses, I highly recommend you to buy the hood, it's very useful with these lenses, even with MC, because they're easily flare. Basically 44M-2 and 44M-3 are very similar, only different in having MC or not, and 44M-7 is the sharpest lens, but not very swirly.
And also a cheap 49mm or 52mm UV filter (depending on which one you get) is good to keep this lens. It may last forever Mr. Green

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Langstrum wrote:
Basically 44M-2 and 44M-3 are very similar

In that neither exist, yes Wink

The 44-2 and 44-3 are similar though... with the 44-3 being multi-coated in a nicer shell.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! Thank you for correcting me. I have them but I didn't notice that detail Embarassed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My black KMZ 44-2 is... Was quite sharp, I sadly have not used it in a long while.