Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How often are you using your fisheye?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: How often are you using your fisheye? Reply with quote

Just curious, I don't own a fisheye from film days, just the last 5 years.
I have a few FE:
- A Kenko FE add-on lens, capable with circular FE on both FF and aps-c, optical not the best.
- Zenitar 16/2.8, currently my best FE on FF.
- Sigma hsm 4.5 circular FE on aps-c
- Pentax DA 10-17 on aps-c.

Link to your FE photos?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Pentax 6X7 35mm fisheye is an invaluable part of my kit. Were I to have, I dunno, crazy medical bills or something, the fisheye would be the last or second-to-last lens I'd sell from that kit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't. I have a few but fisheye views don't fit my work I'm doing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only one fisheye lens, it's the 30mm Arsat for medium format. I think I made about two or three photos with it so far in the two years since I bought it. Embarassed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisheyes are the most used underwater photography WA lenses.

I have nikons 10.5, 16 and a "shaved" tokina 10-17. I also have two "endoscope" lenses for "insect eye" effect.
I wish there was something like canon´s 8-15mm... It is one of the lenses I will look for if/when I get a A7/A7r...
I bought a sigma 4.5mm but gave it back after noticing that it is designed for canon´s 1.6x APS sensors (the circle produced is tangent in those sensors but not on nikon DX´s 1.5x, where it delivers too small of an image for my liking...)

Quote:
Link to your FE photos?

A couple of FE images:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW. Thanks David. These are amazing Shocked

---------------
Here are my recent shots with Pentax DA10-17 on K7. Click to enlarge.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like fisheye lenses, but I do not own many. I only have the Samyang 7,5mm for m43. I have been looking at the Zenitar 16mm for my A7R, but is it good enough Hoan? Surprised

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have been looking at the Zenitar 16mm for my A7R, but is it good enough Hoan?

Oh yes. The Zenitar is very good.

Pentax aps-c + DA10-17 @10mm = 5Dm2 + Zenitar
I will try both at f8 same scene to compare.
For the moment, if you are concern about pixels, the outcome from canon is a bit better:
less CA, somewhat less noise and slightly sharper.

After post processing, they might be the same on double page 30x30cm photo book (60x30cm)
For your A7r, it should be awesome for 36Mpx Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konica UC 2.8/15 (on NEX-5n or NEX-6)

I would say I use it not less then other lenses.. maybe even a bit more. It's a wonderful lens.. on A7 even better. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a fisheye quite a lot... I had the Samyang 8mm but now have the Nikon 10.5mm which is phenomenal, tack sharp, even wide open. I use it on a D7000 and D700 (in DX mode, not fussed about shaving the hood) as I shoot a lot of BMX and skating, and a fisheye lends itself to this kind of photography very well. Adds something to the shot and in many cases, makes the rider or skater look higher than they actually are.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Zenitar 16/2.8 for my 5D2 and the Samyang 8/3.5 for my 7D.
I keep these fisheye lenses in my camera bags all the time, I don't always use them but because they offer a unique view it's worth keeping them to hand.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardly ever.
First they were some kind of replacement for a superwide.
Later, when I had a superwide lens, I tried to use the effect that a fisheye generates.
But that wore off pretty quickly in my kind of photography.
So I sold my Peleng first and recently even my Zenitar.
Sometimes I feel I should have one, but then I realise that I really don't need one.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a fisheye adapter since the early 70's its not too great round the edges but its great fun to use. I crop the circle a bit and un-spherise in photoshop. Its a quick & easy way to get ultrawide shots.

just for fun though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great images Davichin!
I use my Zenitar 16mm not often - and I have no good image to show. Other lenses give me more easily good images.
But I still carry it sometimes around, and search for those images that are made for a fisheye.

Back then when I shoot some hot-air-balloon starts I didn´t own a fisheye :-/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't keep track of how often I use a particular lens. But I did you my Siggy 8mm just yesterday, but I'm still PPing them.

Here's some earlier shots:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the only thing I don't like in fisheye lenses, the circular ones like in the previous post.

By the way; please understand that's not a slight Sparky, nice pictures, it's just my personal choice. I like fisheye lenses that fill the whole frame.

This is the sort of thing I use mine for...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flatcap wrote:
That's the only thing I don't like in fisheye lenses, the circular ones like in the previous post.

By the way; please understand that's not a slight Sparky, nice pictures, it's just my personal choice. I like fisheye lenses that fill the whole frame.

No offense taken. That's why there's two types of fisheyes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Circular fisheye is handy for texture making (environment) for 3D games or animation or for stitching two pictures together to make s sphere (like they use in real estate sales online with navigation). I use to make these many years ago Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the bike photo! Great capture.
-----

Zenitar 16mm f2.8 FE on 5dm2:
Same processing as with Pentax DA10-17.
You can compare two different sets from earlier posts.

f8:

f8:

and more here in another thread

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 fisheye lenses.

Canon's EF 15mm f/2.8
and
Zeiss F-Distagon 16mm f/2.8 for Rollei (from the early 70s)

The F-Distagon was one of the reasons I wanted a FF NEX.
I use my fisheye a lot when I am in panorama mood.
Especially when making spherical panoramas.

Here one of my 360ºX180º panos I like a lot:
http://www.diafragma.gr/panoramic/thira01/thira01.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
I like the bike photo! Great capture.

Thanks.

Loving the library shot in your other link, very nice.

How does the Zenitar perform?

I've read they're a bit soft wide open and you have to stop them down to f/8 to get decent sharpness. I ask as I've thought about getting one to use on my D700. But f/8 it a no-go for the BMX and skating stuff. Too fast.

Darren.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one of my favs...

Paul Meacher at Adrenaline Alley, Corby, UK.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool bike photos.

The Zenitar is soft wide open.
The sharpness improves at half click down, good at f4, very good at f5.6 and f8 can't miss.
I guess you need f2.8 (or f3.2 half click) and high iso to shoot sport.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, depends where I am... if I'm indoors I use an off-camera flash like in the last pic, but outdoors if the weathers good then it's fine. If not, up the ISO a bit but the Nikon 10.5mm f/2.8 is super sharp wide open, so I can get away with keeping the ISO low if I can.

The only problem is it's a DX lens, so on the D700 I have to use it in DX mode, but I do have a D7000 I can use it on too. I'm just trying to come up with a good FX fisheye solution without having to spend another £400+ Sad

Maybe an old AiS 16mm one??

Darren.