Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Macro Yashinon Tomioka 60mm F2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Macro Yashinon Tomioka 60mm F2.8 Reply with quote

Here is the lens:

I am having a tiny problem with it. There is a UV filter on it and I cannot get it off. I noticed it is slightly dented and probably because of that it won't move the slightest bit!!! I tried breaking the glass (the front element is very deep in) of the filter so I could cut the ring and take it off that way but even that I can't manage. Not even the slightest scratch on the thing after hitting it with numourous things. That is some strong glass in that UV filter right there Laughing

So after I spend a couple of hours abusing the UV filter to no extent,
I took 2 quick shots in the garden before it got dark and am already super impressed Shocked
Hardly needed any PP.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful shots.

you may need the dent tool to straighten up, before unscrew.
breaking glass sounds like a good idea.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice indeed! This is a superb macro lens, well known and sougth after, congratz! Very Happy

PS: Put a rubber band around the filter ring and push a little bit towards the lens when you unscrew the filter Wink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that with a rubber band first, then I undented the filter ring and tried again. It doesn't move at all unfortunately.

Once I got a little more time again I am going to put tape all over the filter glass and try to break the glas again more forcefully

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you break the filter glass, look for a good filter wrench that will give you both grip and leverage. Then, before you use it, tap lightly all around the circumference of the filter using something metallic (but not a hammer!). Then using the wrench, make as though "tightening" the filter before unscrewing it sharply. Unless the front of the lens has been dented into the filter, that should break the friction. But be sure to support the front of the lens as you don't want to strain it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought. When/if trying to break the glass, maybe you could use one of those pointy hammers that they keep in buses for emergency use. I've also seen spring loaded window breakers which could be more safe (thinking of avoiding breaking the front lens).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a video with a few suggestions, including the rubber band: http://youtu.be/qsSds4z2Ruw

Myself, I typically use one of those rubber disks used to open jars of tomato sauce – it works like a charm every time.

By the way, that first image is fantastic, showcasing the lens' ability to produce a 3D effect.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before attempting that glass breaking, cover it with gaffer tape, or masking tape and then use one of those pointy tools. That way you avoid damaging the optics under the filter.
I would try also to drip some lighter fuel on the rim.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried using a pair of pliers with a broad head and twisting the edge of the ring? remember glass is weakest on the edges so you should get a spider crack in the glass if you can get it to bend.

you could also maybe use a dremel with one of those micro disks to cut into the ring to get to the retainer ring on the filter and the you should be able to get the glass out.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
Just a thought. When/if trying to break the glass, maybe you could use one of those pointy hammers that they keep in buses for emergency use. I've also seen spring loaded window breakers which could be more safe (thinking of avoiding breaking the front lens).

Exactly my thoughts! You need a pointy piece of equipment, or use a sharp steel nail, hold it to the center of the glass and hit it one time firmly. Using tape to "catch" splinters is indeed a very good idea!

Oh, btw: VERY nice shots!! Congrats on that find, superb lens!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciated all your advice, thank you so much. I tried going at it with so many tools already but you gave me a couple more ideas I'll definitely try!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you can apply some penetrating oil like WD40 and let it work for some ours before trying to unscrew again:
:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penetrating_oil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davichin wrote:
Maybe you can apply some penetrating oil like WD40 and let it work for some ours before trying to unscrew again:
:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penetrating_oil

Not sure if is good idea (and even if it will work) using WD40 oil...

With right tools and extreme care, I would go for breaking the filter glass, so then the unscrew shall be more simple.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also try the freezer. Put it in a zip bag. If the metals shrink different from eachother they might separate easely if you are lucky Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not too confident putting oil or other liquid on it as the aparture rings are very closeby.

I've never heard of putting lenses in the freezer Very Happy

I think I'll go try break the glass after taping it up to break the tension on the ring. If then it doesn't screw off I can easily cut through the ring without damaging the lens. Good thing that front element is so far into the lens. I wouldn't have dared to touch it otherwise!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with one lens and with help of plumber pliers and brute force managed to unscrew the filter without even breaking a filter glass... Just make sure that plumber pliers only get grip on the filter and not bellow and just turn it in proper direction and if it slightly sliding just tighten a grip a bit and still use brute force. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could also use a metal punch, the tool they use to make a small dent in metal when they need a point exactly where to drill into.

it has a spring mechanism inside that can deliver a large deal of force over a short distance.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE UV FILTER IS REMOVED

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I left my brother to take care of it, he has more muscle then I do. After numerous of tries he eventually succeeded to get the filter off by using 2 cut open balloons, one to have a grip on the lens, and one to have a grip on the filter! It is strange that the filter just suddenly 'let loose' after x amount attempts. That last try it just screwed off like it was nothing!

I am super ecstatic now haha!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratz Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear that this story had a happy ending. Looking forward to some more pictures!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very sharp indeed! congrats.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! I have the same lens but under Mamiya Sekor brand. Great lens nonetheless. You just reminded me to use it more Smile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!Karen wrote:
THE UV FILTER IS REMOVED

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I left my brother to take care of it, he has more muscle then I do. After numerous of tries he eventually succeeded to get the filter off by using 2 cut open balloons, one to have a grip on the lens, and one to have a grip on the filter! It is strange that the filter just suddenly 'let loose' after x amount attempts. That last try it just screwed off like it was nothing!

I am super ecstatic now haha!

As I said "brute force"...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are the filter threads on the lens undamaged?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats ! I have that lens , you will love it !