Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon Lens FD 85mm F1.2 s.s.c. Aspherical + A7R
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Canon Lens FD 85mm F1.2 s.s.c. Aspherical + A7R Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks familiar to me. (cuz I own the same lens)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! I really like the first shot!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong but this FD85/1.2 SSC looks like the top 85 in terms of paintery (sharpness may be) and colors I have ever seen including Planar 85/1.4 I was owning.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arctures wrote:
I may be wrong but this FD85/1.2 SSC looks like the top 85 in terms of paintery (sharpness may be) and colors I have ever seen including Planar 85/1.4 I was owning.

Canonophiles consider the first 85/1.2, that is, the 85/1.2 SSC Aspherical, to be the best of all the 85/1.2's that it has made. I can't say because I've used only one -- same as the one exhibited here. And bigeyes photos remind me very much of the shots that mine produces. For example:

This is a film image -- Kodak Elite Chrome 100, duped with my DSLR and slide dupe rig

I need to get mine out and use it more. Gotta be with film until I get an A7, but better than nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gorgeous images!!!!!!
fd 85 1.2 is high on my wish list

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aspherical !

+1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous! I've started looking for lenses I consider "end game". I already have a samyang 85 1.4, but it was adapted in a not so neat manner so operation is a little clunky. This for me would be an end game 85 - get that and I'd stop looking Smile

Bokeh is a little harsh tough - but my understanding is sharp lenses generally are. Render is beautiful.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beomagi wrote:
Gorgeous! I've started looking for lenses I consider "end game". I already have a samyang 85 1.4, but it was adapted in a not so neat manner so operation is a little clunky. This for me would be an end game 85 - get that and I'd stop looking Smile

Bokeh is a little harsh tough - but my understanding is sharp lenses generally are. Render is beautiful.

As I mentioned in -- I believe it was bigeyes' 55mm/1.2 Asph thread -- that bokeh character can be affected by a variety of things, including distance to the subject, and the distance from the subject to the background, etc. If you look at bigeyes' photo of the eyeglasses, I think the bokeh in that shot is quite pleasing. At a guess, I'd say that this is probably because the background is farther away.

Also, sometimes you might not be shooting wide open when you think you are, which can affect bokeh. For example, here's a shot I took with my 85/1.2 Asph:

If you look at the OOF highlights in the above image, you can see that I had the lens stopped down slightly -- probably to f/1.4 or so. This renders a sort of "notchiness" to the bokeh in the image. The above image is a dupe of a slide: Kodak Eliite Chrome 100.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazing lens and wonderful shots ! Shallow DOF and creamy bokeh are real sweet.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mint copy of the 85/1.2 SSC Asph. today.What a piece of glass it is!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Post some pix please!

What camera system will you be using with yours? I'm still having to poke along shooting film with mine. Can't afford an A7r yet.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I use it with the A7,NEX5N and NEX7.The weather is lousy,so no conditions to go for a walk,but preliminary indoor snapshooting gives excellent results with all my cams.The best fast 85mm so far,no doubts. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapencolour wrote:
I got mint copy of the 85/1.2 SSC Asph. today.What a piece of glass it is!

Prices seem a bit insane on eBay lately for the 55 & 85 Asphericals, mind me asking what you paid?

I have a WTB thread
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1371552.html#1371552