Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Medium format lenses on full frame (Sony A7 etc.)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Medium format lenses on full frame (Sony A7 etc.) Reply with quote

I have seen some stunning images shown on this forum taken with a Mamiya 200/2.8 APO medium format lens on a Nikon D800 camera. Surprisingly this lens is not much larger than equivalent full frame lenses.

Since this lens works so well on the D800 it makes me hopeful that there are other medium format lenses that would perform equally well on the Sony A7 etc. without being too large in size. It seems like good deals still could be had, but I guess not for long. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biometar 80/2.8 for Pentacon 6 is very manageable size.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Hasselblad lens from Zeiss ? I guess all good , but have to select carefully , may several has built in shutter. Biometar 80, VEGA 80,90mm , Kaleinar 150, Biometar 120, Pentax 645 lenses I think all nice, probably all less than 35mm top lenses, due genuine camera large film size.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biometar P6 manageable size? Well it is not too big, but compared to vanilla M42? Not to talk of really small ones like 55/1.8, three to four times the weight?

I would advise against this in general. You can try and the experiment will be fun, but 6x6 lenses tend to be more expensive, and worse, than 35mm lenses. Why would you bother with a Biometar at all when you can buy Sigma 50 macro in MAF mount for next to nothing, which does more lp/mm than you will ever need, and autofocuses (without any adaptor, too).

I don't doubt the 200/2.8 6x6 results were stunning, but that's probably because this lens is exceptional and the Nikon couldn't hold a candle to its resolution.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um.. The Sigma will probably have the "Sigma problem" on SLTs, and not fit to a7 at all - I forgot, sorry, still thinking in Sony/Minolta AF SLR terms.

Still there are in general lots of 35mm lenses for any 35mm system.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Any Hasselblad lens from Zeiss ? I guess all good , but have to select carefully , may several has built in shutter.

No problem! Shutter is out of use when lens sits on an adapter and lens can be stopped down manually.
And my opinion about Zeiss lens quality should be known. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other Mamiya 645 lenses are worth looking at as they aren't too bulky and do produce good IQ.
For a long time the best value medium format lenses with good IQ were the Pentax 6X7 lenses, but these have started to become popular (more expensive as well). There was a time when these were cheaper than their 35mm Takumar equivalents, but that time may have passed.
Bear in mind with the Pentax 6X7 lenses that an adapter that works with the lens lengths up to 200mm will not work with focal lengths longer than that. A different mount and adapter are needed and these are much more expensive. Of course the Pentax 6X7 lenses may be too bulky for you anyway.
Then - as suggested - there are the Pentacon 6 mount lenses - the Biometars etc, but you might well just look at good quality 35mm MF lenses.

Here is an image (100% crop) from a pentax 6X7 105mm on D7000 and a link to other images:
http://forum.mflenses.com/pentax-67-105mm-f2-4-on-nikon-d7000-t61151,highlight,%2Bpentax+%2B67.html
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buerokratiehasser wrote:
Biometar P6 manageable size? Well it is not too big, but compared to vanilla M42? Not to talk of really small ones like 55/1.8, three to four times the weight?

I would advise against this in general. You can try and the experiment will be fun, but 6x6 lenses tend to be more expensive, and worse, than 35mm lenses. Why would you bother with a Biometar at all when you can buy Sigma 50 macro in MAF mount for next to nothing, which does more lp/mm than you will ever need, and autofocuses (without any adaptor, too).

I don't doubt the 200/2.8 6x6 results were stunning, but that's probably because this lens is exceptional and the Nikon couldn't hold a candle to its resolution.

OP wanted info on smaller medium format lenses. i believe he knows full well medium format lenses are lagrer than their slr counterparts, and many are in fact less expensive (the biometar 80 can be had for well under $200), so im really not sure what youre trying to contribute here. if you know of a mf lens that is smaller than the biometar 80/2.8 you should let us all know. my advice is to assume he is an adult who knows what he wants and try to help the OP in what he wants.

i personally used mf lenses on my old 5d and got great results, especially with the biometar 120/2.8 which remains one of my favorite portrait lenses, although, OT, it is pretty large. opinions differ. lets not try to talk OP out of what he wants, or turn this into an OT debate, and just help give the guy the info he is looking for.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duckrider wrote:
Attila wrote:
Any Hasselblad lens from Zeiss ? I guess all good , but have to select carefully , may several has built in shutter.

No problem! Shutter is out of use when lens sits on an adapter and lens can be stopped down manually.
And my opinion about Zeiss lens quality should be known. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Great news really, thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen the Mamiya Apo shots too. This is an amazing lens.

I have tried some Hasslblads on EOS and they where rather dissapointing. Even S Planar was only ok.

Mamiya RB lenses are even bad. Dont have enough resolution.

Biometar would be my next step.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Great news really, thank you!

You're wellcome!
have a look at how the shutter works if released for mistake:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE20W-9Q-KQ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Medium format lenses on full frame (Sony A7 etc.) Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
I have seen some stunning images shown on this forum taken with a Mamiya 200/2.8 APO medium format lens on a Nikon D800 camera. Surprisingly this lens is not much larger than equivalent full frame lenses.

Since this lens works so well on the D800 it makes me hopeful that there are other medium format lenses that would perform equally well on the Sony A7 etc. without being too large in size. It seems like good deals still could be had, but I guess not for long. Any suggestions?

The little survey here may give an idea of what to expect in the normal (around 80-100mm) and tele range:
http://www.artaphot.ch/systemuebergreifend/objektive/529-200mm-lenses

It's surprising that even the cheap Mamiya Sekor C 4/210mm partly outperforms the (faster) Minolta AF 2.8/200mm, a lens well known for its excellent image quality.

Vintage medium format wideangles (35mm to 65 mm) are a different story and usualy to be avoided.

S

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Medium format lenses on full frame (Sony A7 etc.) Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:

The little survey here may give an idea of what to expect in the normal (around 80-100mm) and tele range:
http://www.artaphot.ch/systemuebergreifend/objektive/529-200mm-lenses

It's surprising that even the cheap Mamiya Sekor C 4/210mm partly outperforms the (faster) Minolta AF 2.8/200mm, a lens well known for its excellent image quality.

Vintage medium format wideangles (35mm to 65 mm) are a different story and usualy to be avoided.

S

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used for a short time a mamiya 150/2,8 lens and it is a very good one.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not what you expected! X-Pan 30mm, 45mm and 90mm on A7r 1. This was my first time out with these lenses so my technique was not refined. I think I used f8 for them all. All hand-held. The crop (second image) is to X-Pan format.

30mm

45mm

90mm f8

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
I used for a short time a mamiya 150/2,8 lens and it is a very good one.

I immediately beliefe that. I have onyl one "modern" Mamiya 645 lens (the 4/120mm Macro), and it is even better than the 1980s set of Sekor C lenses. I have never seen one here in Switzerland, and neither a 2.8/200 APo or a 2.8/300 APO. All should be extraordinary on FF or on the 50 MP "small medium format sensors".

S