Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

135/2.8 or 135/3.5 with front aperture adjustment handle?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: 135/2.8 or 135/3.5 with front aperture adjustment handle? Reply with quote

Hello.

I'm looking for an old school (manual focus) 135/2.8 or 135/3.5 lens, which will have the aperture control dial not in the rear part (say like konica hexanon ar 135/3.5 has), but will have it in front part (say like jupiter 9 has).

Any ideas?

Mount is irrelevant.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter 37A 135/3.5, Pentacon Auto 135/2.8 and the CZJ Sonnar if I understand you correctly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympus OM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 135/2.8 or 135/3.5 with front aperture adjustment handle Reply with quote

CuriousOne wrote:
Hello.

I'm looking for an old school (manual focus) 135/2.8 or 135/3.5 lens, which will have the aperture control dial not in the rear part (say like konica hexanon ar 135/3.5 has), but will have it in front part (say like jupiter 9 has).

Any ideas?

Mount is irrelevant.

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/fl/data/100-1200/fl_135_25.html

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/fl/data/100-1200/fl_135_35.html

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/r/data/35-2000/r_135_35v2.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called preset aperture. Canon FL 135/2.5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter 37A has also clickless aperture control if you think video shooting.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can look for the Asahi Opt. Co. Takumar 135mm f/3.5, two versions (one silver/black , the other one all black) both have preset aperture and are very sharp and not expensive.

Some examples now on the bay:

Click here to see on Ebay

Good luck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inombrable wrote:
You can look for the Asahi Opt. Co. Takumar 135mm f/3.5, two versions (one silver/black , the other one all black) both have preset aperture and are very sharp and not expensive.

Some examples now on the bay:

Good luck

I'll vote for the Takumar as well, my silver / black lens is a delight to use.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I already have Jupiter-37, but it is too heavy, so this is why I'm looking for lightweight alternative.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost all preset aperture lenses had these features. There were a few preset models that had the aperture mechanism near the lens mount, but most had them towards the front.

There are hundreds of brands from a couple of dozen makers that would probably suit your requirement.
This is a very common one made by Tokyo Koki, later known as Tokina - typical of Japanese third party makers of the 1960's. You will find this particular one in dozens of brands.

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=38951&highlight=%2Btokina&sid=a91b39b8ea07597f8e65099b091491c2

This one was made by Sanyo/Sankor. The description in my post does not include my later information. Accura was a "distribution" brand used by Spiratone, which reserved the "Spiratone" brand for mail order sales. This lens and a very similar variant were also sold by dozens of other distributors under their brands.

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=6177&highlight=%2Baccura&sid=923a38a6f4663e2a039a4c2f244017c4

This one was made by Taisei, later known as Tamron. It can be found in several importers brands also, notably as a Soligor.

http://forum.mflenses.com/converto-tamron-135-2-8-t-mount-t17053,highlight,%2Btamron.html

Etc. Most of these are quite decent and are usually found in standard T-mounts, so they are very adaptable.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting information, Luis. Are all of these also lightweight?
Your making me interested to buy one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightweight ? They vary. Also depends on what you require. Do you have weight requirement in grams ? I can maybe check a few when I am home.

If you need a lighter one the f/3.5 versions can be very small and light.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightweight, then difinitely the Olympus Zuiko 135mm f3.5. and hardly any longer than a normal 50mm .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Lightweight ? They vary. Also depends on what you require. Do you have weight requirement in grams ? I can maybe check a few when I am home.

If you need a lighter one the f/3.5 versions can be very small and light.

No exact requirements. I was thinking you suggested the lenses because CuriousOne was interested in a lightweight lens. Small and light f/3.5 sounds interesting and 2.8. Which any way is what this topic is about so it wouldn't go off the subject. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Lightweight, then difinitely the Olympus Zuiko 135mm f3.5. and hardly any longer than a normal 50mm .

I picked one of these up for £3 at the camera fair, immaculate condition except for some fungus. I hit it with cold cream and it's one of the best 135's I've got now. I think it's smaller than the Takumar.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replies. Jupiter 37A weight is 434 grams, so I want something lightweight.

Zuiko seems the right choice, light both in price and weight Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

I picked one of these up for £3 at the camera fair, immaculate condition except for some fungus. I hit it with cold cream and it's one of the best 135's I've got now. I think it's smaller than the Takumar.

Is it very difficult to take it apart to clean it?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

Reasonably simple. And there are genuine Olympus service manuals here -

http://olympus.dementix.org/Hardware/olympus_hw.html

http://olympus.dementix.org/Hardware/PDFs/135mm_f3.5.pdf

There's a lot of good stuff for Olympus users there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

Zuikos are a bit of crapshoot. They are simple and reliable lenses, and coatings seem to hold well, but Olympus was fond of thread locker and sometimes it's applied so liberally that even Kiron would not feel ashamed. Sometimes they just pop open, and then there's a 50/1.8 I still have not been able to break into.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically I don't care much about glass quality currently. I need this lens for experiments with diy autofocus system. If my ideas will work properly, then I can invest in more expensive one.