Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Disassemble Vivitar 28 f2.8 Close Focus
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Disassemble Vivitar 28 f2.8 Close Focus Reply with quote

I've got a Vivitar 28mm f2.8 Close Focus lens on approval. The glass elements seem fine, but it's in bad condition mechanically. It's very graunchy when turning both the focus and aperture rings, and the focus ring seems seized in some funny way. When you turn it, the part of the lens barrel that has the DOF scale turns with it.

So, it needs disassembling, cleaning, and lubricating. My question is, will that be relatively straightforward? I'm reasonable handy, but no watchmaker. As it's a prime I'm thinking it won't be too bad.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this helps but here's a thread of mine on Pentaxforums.com about Close Focus 2/28mm which I converted from one mount to another.

At least on the f2 variant you can get to the focusing helicoid and aperture ring by starting from the front.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe this helps: http://elliotkang.wordpress.com/2012/05/13/disassembly-of-vivitar-28mm-f2-8/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most prime lenses follow a very similar design to their construction, cleaned a tokina 28mm 2.8 and that was my first and easiest lens to clean.

what I would suggest is take photos of every step to make it easier when putting it back together, one important step is when you separate the helicoids from one another mark off the exact point they separate or you're gonna have a fun couple of hours trying to figure out that point and it's a crucial thing for most lenses to work correctly.

If you get stuck anywhere post on here and I'm sure someone will be able to help.