Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New Helios 40-2 from US vs. OLD Helios from Russia
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: New Helios 40-2 from US vs. OLD Helios from Russia Reply with quote

This may be ignorant, but, the US version I see on ebay in blue box: Click here to see on Ebay

I am assuming it is not as bokeh beautiful as the older versions from Russia - am I true to believe this?

Is it about the coatings? Are they different amount of elements?

I am sorry - I am not familiar with new stock/new versions as opposed to vintage.

Then - there is this 'PORST' version mixed in comparing with Helios 40 bokeh - anyone familiar with this lens? I am going to look on flickr for image samples, but, it kinda kreeps me out a little. Because I really want the Helios 40 but the price - I would have to sell my back up camera Canon 50D just to pay for it. That's not worth it at this point.

However - this 'Porst' looks promising possibly or even the 'new' version of Helios 40- dont know though.. Some ideas would be helpful.
Heres Porst brand link from ebay : Click here to see on Ebay

Lucis? Is this a good question for you!!! So good to see you modding here!

thank you everyone.

*appears im not entering the links to ebay properly, am I not allowed to include links?*

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New Helios 40-2 from US vs. OLD Helios from Russia Reply with quote

Calikim wrote:

*appears im not entering the links to ebay properly, am I not allowed to include links?*

Welcome to the forum! For anti-spam reasons your first post can't contain links, from now on you're fine.

I fear I can't answer your question, someone will be along shortly I'm sure.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New Helios 40-2 from US vs. OLD Helios from Russia Reply with quote

Calikim wrote:
This may be ignorant, but, the US version I see on ebay in blue box:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-new-Helios-40-2-1-5-85-M42-42-mm-Pentax-warranty-shipping-from-USA-/131100241655?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item1e862eeef7

I am assuming it is not as bokeh beautiful as the older versions from Russia - am I true to believe this?

Is it about the coatings? Are they different amount of elements?

I am sorry - I am not familiar with new stock/new versions as opposed to vintage.

Then - there is this 'PORST' version mixed in comparing with Helios 40 bokeh - anyone familiar with this lens? I am going to look on flickr for image samples, but, it kinda kreeps me out a little. Because I really want the Helios 40 but the price - I would have to sell my back up camera Canon 50D just to pay for it. That's not worth it at this point.

However - this 'Porst' looks promising possibly or even the 'new' version of Helios 40- dont know though.. Some ideas would be helpful.
Heres Porst brand link from ebay : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porst-color-reflex-MC-1-1-4-55mm-lens-Mount-M42-best-bokeh-how-Helios-40-2-/321293216771?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item4ace916c03

Lucis? Is this a good question for you!!! So good to see you modding here!

thank you everyone.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New Helios 40-2 from US vs. OLD Helios from Russia Reply with quote

Quote:
This may be ignorant, but, the US version I see on ebay in blue box:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-new-Helios-40-2-1-5-85-M42-42-mm-Pentax-warranty-shipping-from-USA-/131100241655?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item1e862eeef7

I am assuming it is not as bokeh beautiful as the older versions from Russia - am I true to believe this?... Are they different amount of elements....

Same optical design, so exactly the same bokeh as the old ones.
The "US-Version" is still made Russia btw. Smile

Quote:
Is it about the coatings? ?

Coatings might be different, maybe causing slightly different colors and contrast than older Helios 40 versions (but not different bokeh).
Also within the old Helios 40 lenses there are several slightly different versions with same optical design but different coatings and builds.
I wouldn't care about that.

Quote:

Heres Porst brand link from ebay : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porst-color-reflex-MC-1-1-4-55mm-lens-Mount-M42-best-bokeh-how-Helios-40-2-/321293216771?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item4ace916c03[/img]

Imho they are not very similar at all.
Even the cheap Helios 44-2 58/2 comes closer to the Helios 40 than this Porst.
And 55/1.4 quite a difference to 85/1.5. The Helios has much thinner DOF btw.
The Porst isn't worth this money at all imo.
Better go for the Helios-40 directly.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:24 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same lens coming from the same factory.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
It's the same lens coming from the same factory.

I own both the old and the new versions of this lens. Optically they are identical and indistinguishable. Mechanically, the old lens focuses smoother. The old lens has a tripod mount while the new one doesn't. That's it, no more preceivable differences.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the new version handle flare better?
I see the prices have come down some. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought new Helios-40-2 last summer for $350
It has no multi-coating (but they planned to do it)
What about picture? Well it is really whirl bokeh, but... it is so boring to use this effect just some months later
I think that this lens should be sold for $150. Because very hard to use it. And not very good resolution

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Does the new version handle flare better?
I see the prices have come down some. Smile

Not really, at lest with my sample. See, there were plans to add multi-coating to this lens, but they haven't materialized so far. So current batches are still single-coated, and you get about the same amount of flare as with the old lens (maybe the color is different, but I didn't test it that much).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Newbie to this forum Reply with quote

I have both the Helios 44-2 and 44M-7.
the 44M-7 is better with the flare, but the 44-2 has more interesting bokehs IMO.

Be award of the fake copy of 44M-7 at ebay.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer single coated lenses for more interesting ghosting effects Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think that this lens should be sold for $150.

I think they should just give them away. Actually, they should pay me to take their lenses.

About the coating, there's a lot of confusion because they've standardized all the boxes to say "MC." If you look at the passports that come with the new Helios' though, there are two columns. One saying MC and other just SC. All the ones currently for sale will have the SC column checked off.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I just prefer the older over the newer ones, maybe just being sentimental Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Hmm, I just prefer the older over the newer ones, maybe just being sentimental Wink

+1 Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie to this forum Reply with quote

jamesbondaka007 wrote:
Be award of the fake copy of 44M-7 at ebay.

Why would anyone fake something so cheap?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie to this forum Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
Why would anyone fake something so cheap?

I don't know, but I personally handled a fake Yashica ML 50/1.7 lens. You can google the term, it's a well documented case of a Chinese factory faking these (cheap) lenses. Why? I don't know...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: New Helios 40-2 from US vs. OLD Helios from Russia Reply with quote

[quote="ForenSeil"]
Quote:

Quote:

Heres Porst brand link from ebay : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porst-color-reflex-MC-1-1-4-55mm-lens-Mount-M42-best-bokeh-how-Helios-40-2-/321293216771?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item4ace916c03[/img]

Imho they are not very similar at all.
Even the cheap Helios 44-2 58/2 comes closer to the Helios 40 than this Porst.
And 55/1.4 quite a difference to 85/1.5. The Helios has much thinner DOF btw.
The Porst isn't worth this money at all imo.

Better go for the Helios-40 directly.

Agreed, the Porst 55/1.4 shouldn't worth that much to my knowledge. The Porst 55/1.4's design is closely related to or even the same as the Revuenon 55/1.4 and perhaps also closely related to the Rikenon 55/1.4. And I think none of them go near as much as $200. It's a good lens but most 50ish 1.4s are not bad and so it really comes down to price, mount, and which one you like the best in terms of handling and just overall image quality. The Helios 40-2 is a lot more unique lens than the Porst 55/1.4.