Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A Short Walk with Pentacon 300/4 after the Rain
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: A Short Walk with Pentacon 300/4 after the Rain Reply with quote

Rained softly for much of the day and stopped just in late afternoon.
These images from our yard and garden.
This lens seems to be at its best in soft light. Doesn't like backlighting as much but pretty good nonetheless.
Taken on Pentax K-10D
OH

Last edited by Oldhand on Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:22 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
Your pictures show nicely that the lens is better than its reputation!

Thank you.
I wasn't aware that it had any dubious background, but it is a beast and quite heavy.
Any walk with this lens will be short I fear. Smile
I share this lens with my son who uses it on his Canon.
We have both had good results.
OH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice results OH!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Very nice results OH!

Thank you Klaus.
The resolution is very good for an older lens like this.
Here is a 100% crop of the last image:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish we had some rain it is so dry down here.The colors are fantastic I love the deep greens and pinks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Moira and bernhardas.
A tripod is essential. Charles Atlas couldn't handhold this lens I think.
Mo, this is our first rain in yonks and we have been watering heaps to keep things alive. We may have had a little more than 5mm but it felt so good to be out in it.
We unloaded a trailer full of bark-chip in the rain today with the grandkids helping. They got soaked and loved it. (didn't think to take any images-ha)
OH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy The rain came today,thankfully it should help with the fires around the area.

I have often looked at buying the pentacon 300mm,unfortunately or fortunately there has not been one for the right price. I always assume there is a learning curve with any old MF lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Very Happy The rain came today,thankfully it should help with the fires around the area.

I have often looked at buying the pentacon 300mm,unfortunately or fortunately there has not been one for the right price. I always assume there is a learning curve with any old MF lens.

Hope it continues for you Moira, autumn colour needs lots of rain at this time.
I love your area - always beautiful
OH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not obvious from the images is the exceptional resolution of this lens under the right conditions.
Here is a 100% crop from image 2.
Taken on K-10D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the reds are the hardest to reproduce/capture with any lens and some lenses seem to capture the reds better than others. Did you have to "tweak" this image at all?

I find rain drops on flowers always add that little extra.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I find the reds are the hardest to reproduce/capture with any lens and some lenses seem to capture the reds better than others. Did you have to "tweak" this image at all?

I find rain drops on flowers always add that little extra.

Thanks Moira.
The only tweaking was under the Presence in LR5 - nothing else - no sharpening etc..
Here is the original untouched version straight from the camera:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice pics, great lens !

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice close-ups for 300mm,I must take my Pentax M42 300mm f4 out and try similar shots,that is when we get rid of all the snow we have until May, if we are lucky.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
This is our first rain in yonks and we have been watering heaps to keep things alive. We may have had a little more than 5mm but it felt so good to be out in it.OH

We have had very little else but rain here for what feels like forever! I'm sending some your way, Thomas. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
This is our first rain in yonks and we have been watering heaps to keep things alive. We may have had a little more than 5mm but it felt so good to be out in it.OH

We have had very little else but rain here for what feels like forever! I'm sending some your way, Thomas. Wink

Thanks Edgar, we need it. It looks like we have another el-nino pattern developing, so lots of dry weather ahead. At least the lighting is good for image making.
Long dull and colourless days can be a real challenge for photography, but when the light changes, what beauty.
You will have spring soon .......

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple more to show bokeh and colour.
OH

And just to show off, here is a crop of the last.
This really is a very good lens.
OH