Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CZJ Tessar 2,8/50 - T version vs no T version
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:52 pm    Post subject: CZJ Tessar 2,8/50 - T version vs no T version Reply with quote

Greetings,
over time I managed to acquire two Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm f/2.8 lenses, both of different sizes and characteristics.

After digging a bit, I have seen some people say that the T version is actually rather rare, since it has some extra anti-reflex coatings.

I would like to sell both of those to buy some other lenses I'm more interested in collecting, such as the Volna 9, Canon FD 50/3.5, Cassar S 50mm f/2.8, Macro-Takumar 50mm f/4 or perhaps some modern manual lenses for APS-C e mount. How much can I expect for each of those?
The larger non T version was cleaned by me with the assistance of my father today (who is mechanically proficient), we picked it up today from a guy who was giving away old photo gear that he wanted to get rid of. It had some slight fungus inside so I washed it thoroughly with detergent and then soaked it in hydrogen peroxide for a few mins. It is clean now, but the glasses are a little fogged.

The T version is significantly cleaner with some haze around the edges that is however not visible unless you hold a flashlight up directly to the lens. The problem with it is that the focus ring is mostly stuck. Is this lens easy to oil at all?

And last question, is there a significant difference between the two? I don't really plan to do any extensive tests besides maybe seeing if the lenses are not decentered to help me evaluate how much to sell for.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It always depends on condition of course, and sometimes the mount.
Here is a link to recently sold Tessars that you can peruse.
As you can see the prices vary widely.
Good luck with the sale
Tom

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=carl+zeiss+jena+tessar+50mm+f2.8&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&rt=nc&_odkw=Carl+Zeiss+Jena+Tessar+5omm+f2.8&_osacat=0&LH_PrefLoc=2&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of the non-T Tessars. I sold it; I think due to it being only average IQ, yet another 50mm and I think it had sticky blades.