Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Prakticar Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50mm f/1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Prakticar Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50mm f/1.8 Reply with quote

One of the reasons I bought a Sony a7 was to test Prakticar lenses on full frame. Just some snaps here to test the last version on the CZJ Pancolar 50/1.8, which of course comes in PB mount:

Sony a7 with Prakticar Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50/1.8 by <<BackToTheFuture>>, on Flickr

All photos have slight contrast tweaks.

#1 - f/4

#2 - f/2.8

#3 - f/4

#4 - f/2.8

#5 - f/5.6

#6 - f/8

#7 - f/8

#8 - f/1.8

#9 - f/1.8

#10 - f/1.8

#11 - f/2.8

#12 - f/2.8

Summary

This lens is very sharp from wide open! Images need a contrast boost in pp though and render in quite cool colours (the shots here were taken in golden hour). The biggest problem for me is flare which is quite apparent when the lens is pointed directly at the sun. It has a very short minimum focusing distance which is great, and is sharp into the corners even at wider apertures (much more so than the Flektogon).

Is it as good as a Planar though? No, but it does have a painterly sort of bokeh and puts up a good fight!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very good Very Happy

Lens looks sexy on the A7 too Wink

#7 and #9 is my favorites! So, do you like your new camera? Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I'm getting to grips with the a7 now Very Happy

This Pancolar is a very good lens. I've still got a few other PB lenses to test, namely the 20/2.8 Flek, the 35/2.4 Flek and the 135/2.8 Pentacon. Not sure I'll keep any of them though, I've still got too many lenses Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very rare lens, mostly you can find Pentacon version. Congrats!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great atmosphere on 5 an d7! Lovely photo's!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a lens. Great pics.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

## 3.6.8.9 really stand out, nice photos!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice results! A real pleasure to see.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+2

Very nice pics !