Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ricoh XR Rikenon 18mm f/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Ricoh XR Rikenon 18mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

A rare lens, even information on the net is very little to nothing. This lens has Pentax K-mount, so i first thought to use it on my 5D, but in order to do that without damaging my mirror i had to butcher the back-end of the lens. That was not an option.
Therefore i shot some pics on APS-C with the NEX3, and loaded a roll of Fujicolor 100 in my Revue AC3s to do the full-frame shots.
(hell... i feel the need for the A7!!)

On APS-C you don't notice some minor edge softness, on film it's (apparantly) a lot wider, and offers some serious creative options. 18mm is some kind of standard kitlens size on most APS-C consumer cameras, so nothing too special there.

The lens is well built, and has a minimum focus distance of 25cm, so you can get really close! I like it a lot! I didn't correct a lot in the following shots, mostly auto-curves.

First the lens and the Revue with it mounted:

XR Rikenon 18mm f/2.8 by TrueLoveOne, on Flickr

Revue AC3s & Rikenon 2.8/18 by TrueLoveOne, on Flickr

Shots with the Sony NEX3:

Rikenon 18mm f/2.8 testshots by TrueLoveOne, on Flickr

2. Crop of the above:

And the shots on film!!
1. Wide open (f/2.Cool at closest distance of 25cm (from film plane that is!)

Fungus by TrueLoveOne, on Flickr

Veere by TrueLoveOne, on Flickr

Grote Kerk Veere by TrueLoveOne, on Flickr

Rusty bike by TrueLoveOne, on Flickr

The corner by TrueLoveOne, on Flickr

Abarth by TrueLoveOne, on Flickr

That way.... by TrueLoveOne, on Flickr

Mirror mirror... by TrueLoveOne, on Flickr

Thanks for looking/reading!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, these are good.
Rikenon - top drawer and mostly under-rated.
Thanks for sharing
OH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
A rare lens, even information on the net is very little to nothing.

aka Sigma 18/2.8 for various mounts
Click here to see on Ebay.de

http://www.drricoh.de/Rikenon/index.html#WideAnglePK

Last edited by Bille on Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bille wrote:
aka Sigma 18/2.8 for various mounts

Click here to see on Ebay.de

I did not know that! The barrel is different, but otherwise there are a lot of similarities.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiffy looking combo there and great photos! Did you get your negatives scanned in the lab or at home?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FotoPete wrote:
Spiffy looking combo there and great photos! Did you get your negatives scanned in the lab or at home?

Thanks!

Well... i do my own b/w rolls, but no C41. Untill now i have always used the one hour photo service in a village nearby, but they stopped their developing activities. So these were sent to the Fuji Steenbergen labo in the Netherlands.
The results are shocking, some pictures are unusable on both films i had developed! Scratches, wiped off fingerprints that cannot be removed anymore and things like that.... it's a shame really!
I guess they think that this service is a pain, because this way they won't be keeping their clients....

These were all repaired in Lightroom somwhat, specks and dust and little scratches. I do the scanning myself, Minolta scanner, but it can't correct the bad work of the lab!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I totally agree, it happens in Toronto too. Not alot of places left that process film and those that still do, unless its the specialty shops, the film gets handled poorly.

I tried 'scanning' my negatives with an LED white board and my NEX but I just can't seem the get the colours right in post yet. (Flipping the channels, colour balance etc.)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. It's a pity that on an NEX the amazing 18mm "turn into" a rather boring 28mm.
Great that you have shot it on film as well!

Would love to see that lens on the new A7.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

real good shots, great color and very sharp.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It 'comes to life' on FF with the film shots.

TFS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all!

Yes, i would love to use it on an A7 as well... but my wife needed a bigger car, so the little Fiat Abarth in the pics had to move on to another owner for a new (second hand) Alfa Romeo for my wife! SO we're out of funds at the moment.... Wink
(but she's super happy with the Alfa!)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series! #4 is my favourite. So in the battle of Al(ph)(f)as the bigger one won!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A really nice series of a good looking lens, thanks for posting.