Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I'm ready for an A7, with my cache of old lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: I'm ready for an A7, with my cache of old lenses Reply with quote

I'm about to pick up an A7!!! Whoop whoop. I've been reading a lot on focus peaking and exposure and lots of websites out there are mentioning Shutter Priority. I think with old 35mm film cameras, most people I know are more of an Aperture priority type person.

Just wondering how the camera actually works like that. I'm looking for a sort of flow chart so I can prepare myself when it comes.

Basically, I want to do what I was able to do on older cameras such as:

1. Pick an ISO (maybe this will be automatic with the A7? I don't really know yet)
2. Pick an aperture, I like it open like 1.8 or 2.0 or whatever
3. Then camera will set the speed.
4. Focus
5. Shoot

Is this basically how it works with the A7?

Oh, and I manually turn the aperture ring to what I want it to be on step 2 right?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no A7 yet, but from what I've read, a problem with Av is that the camera sets the shutter speed quite low = 1/60 s.
For this reason some use Tv or M with Auto-ISO instead.
Perhaps someone with an A7 can elaborate on this?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With manual lenses the camera favours 1/60th second in av mode in auto ISO, as it doesn't know the real focal length and won't let you pick a minimum shutter speed Sad This is really poor from Sony and hopefully they'll fix it in firmware. The workaround is to use manual or shutter priority mode and select your minimum desired shutter speed there, although of course you are stuck with just one speed then.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
With manual lenses the camera favours 1/60th second in av mode in auto ISO, as it doesn't know the real focal length and won't let you pick a minimum shutter speed Sad This is really poor from Sony and hopefully they'll fix it in firmware. The workaround is to use manual or shutter priority mode and select your minimum desired shutter speed there, although of course you are stuck with just one speed then.

Gotcha. I think I can work around that. But when in shutter priority mode, isn't the wheel the part that changes it? So I can see in viewfinder what the shutter/aperture is and then work the wheel around until I get the aperture I want.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am an A priority shooter. I use my A7 with mf lenses.
I use my A7 this way: set the aperture on the lens, set the camera on S mode, set the iso on auto, use the dial for the speed ( very easy)
The other way is to set A mode but in this case if the speed is to low you have to change manualy the iso.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
I use my A7 this way: set the aperture on the lens, set the camera on S mode, set the iso on auto, use the dial for the speed ( very easy)
The other way is to set A mode but in this case if the speed is to low you have to change manualy the iso.

Perfect instructions!! Thank you so much!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:

same as on NEXes, usually I use A mode + auto ISO during day and S mode + auto ISO at low light

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A and S modes are inherited from the film photography. Iso was set for 36 shots . Those modes , nowadays, are more comparable with a P mode of those days as the camera is supposed to think and propose a combination of parameters.
Of course, you set Iso manually.
But cameras manufacturers should give a better access to Iso manual setting. Fuji puts a dial on the top of its cameras. It looks smart.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
Fuji puts a dial on the top of its cameras. It looks smart.

That does look pretty hand.