Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soviet OKS1-100-1 100mm/2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Soviet OKS1-100-1 100mm/2 Reply with quote

I recently received this OKS from Kazakhstan, and more recently the adapter for it . So I had a walk with it on A7 to see how it perfoms.
I think it's quite a good lens. I tried some photo against sun, wide open (3, 4, 5, 6, 10 and 11) and more closed for different style of photo.
My exemplar is well adapted and is a pleasure to use (not a big lens, easy focus...).
It was built in 1963 in Lenkinap (before the fusion to create LOMO), for cine camera type Konvas (35mm).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the flare, that looks quite good. I probably wouldn't take it over e.g. a Canon FD 100/2 but aberrations (especially in OOF areas) look fairly well controlled. Certainly quite impressive for it's time (I wonder how it would stack up against the old Minolta MC 100/2).

A deep lens hood might be a good idea.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good indeed! Reminds me of the G-48 f2/100mm projection lens, guess they are close sisters as this was later sold as OKP1-100-1 (?)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Looks good indeed! Reminds me of the G-48 f2/100mm projection lens, guess they are close sisters as this was later sold as OKP1-100-1 (?)

Basicaly yes. But maybe better to call them uncle.
In 50's and begining of 60 (60-62) was produced 2 100/2 planar type cine lenses :
J-25 and later J-48 by GOMZ
RO-18 by Lenkinap

Then OKS1-100-1 was at start produced by Lenkinap, and then LOMO. So I believe the father of OKS1-100-1 is RO-18, not J-25. But they are all very similar, naturely.

I will compare soon the J-25 with OKS1-100-1. I guess it will be very hard to pick a winner or even check for differences.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
kds315* wrote:

In 50's and begining of 60 (60-62) was produced 2 100/2 planar type cine lenses :
RO-18 by Lenkinap

Then OKS1-100-1 was at start produced by Lenkinap, and then LOMO. So I believe the father of OKS1-100-1 is RO-18, not J-25. But they are all very similar, naturely.

I will compare soon the J-25 with OKS1-100-1. I guess it will be very hard to pick a winner or even check for differences.

Looking forward to seeing this! I also don't expect a big difference, maybe a bit different contrast and flare sensitivity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
BurstMox wrote:
kds315* wrote:

RO-18 by Lenkinap

Looking forward to seeing this! I also don't expect a big difference, maybe a bit different contrast and flare sensitivity

I had all these lenses, and in several copies and all I tested everything.

If we talk as far as manufacturing.

Lenkinap PO18 - the earliest version of the lenses 100 2. Produced in the 50's. The first were uncoated, PO18-2, PO18-3 with high-quality multi-coated and more contrasting picture. Very sharp movie lenses lenses even at the edge of the frame with good color, excellent cinematic picture. Lack of chromatic aberration.

G-25 (50-60years), G-48 (60-62 years) - technical lenses, which used both for shooting movies and for photography. Optical schemes are the same, the difference in the coating of lenses, color rendition. Both are yellowing the picture. Nice drawing, slightly different from PO18. Sharpness is also worse especially around the edges of the frame.

LOMO OKS1-100-1 - the first cinema lomo lenses were produced from 1964 to the 70's and 80's. Sharp in the center, to the edge of the frame sharpness drops a little. Excellent and natural color rendition, cinematic drawing. Very high quality multi lens coating, good contrast. Lack of chromatic aberration.

All lenses cover a full frame with infinity, G-25, G-48 and PO18- and medium format. I liked most of all PO18 (2), his only one left to himself.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

what is the building in #8?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No-9 looks charming.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, shots, review and informations Pierre !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the second photo “#4” special and very nice. Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lexx wrote:
kds315* wrote:
BurstMox wrote:
kds315* wrote:

RO-18 by Lenkinap

I had all these lenses, and in several copies and all I tested everything.

If we talk as far as manufacturing.

Lenkinap PO18 - the earliest version of the lenses 100 2. Produced in the 50's. The first were uncoated, PO18-2, PO18-3 with high-quality multi-coated and more contrasting picture. Very sharp movie lenses lenses even at the edge of the frame with good color, excellent cinematic picture. Lack of chromatic aberration.

G-25 (50-60years), G-48 (60-62 years) - technical lenses, which used both for shooting movies and for photography. Optical schemes are the same, the difference in the coating of lenses, color rendition. Both are yellowing the picture. Nice drawing, slightly different from PO18. Sharpness is also worse especially around the edges of the frame.

LOMO OKS1-100-1 - the first cinema lomo lenses were produced from 1964 to the 70's and 80's. Sharp in the center, to the edge of the frame sharpness drops a little. Excellent and natural color rendition, cinematic drawing. Very high quality multi lens coating, good contrast. Lack of chromatic aberration.

All lenses cover a full frame with infinity, G-25, G-48 and PO18- and medium format. I liked most of all PO18 (2), his only one left to himself.

Hi Lexx,

You tested them on full frame, right?

I sadly never owned a RO18, but also heard the same you said about it.
The J-25 (G or J? I still don't know. I choose the J because G should be Г, as far as I know, for Jaguar, you don't say Гагуар Smile , also Жигули is translated on wikipedia, in french, like Jiguli ), it was also used on space photocamera FAS-1 (modified Leningrad) with the Mir-1.

I looks like you have good experience with soviets! Thanks for your comment.

@kansalliskalaCafe , the building is the national library (Bibliothèque Nationale Française)

@spleenone, Thanks!
@Musashicha, merci!
@tgm Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:

Hi Lexx,

You tested them on full frame, right?

I sadly never owned a RO18, but also heard the same you said about it.
The J-25 (G or J? I still don't know. I choose the J because G should be Г, as far as I know, for Jaguar, you don't say Гагуар Smile , also Жигули is translated on wikipedia, in french, like Jiguli ), it was also used on space photocamera FAS-1 (modified Leningrad) with the Mir-1.

I looks like you have good experience with soviets! Thanks for your comment.

@kansalliskalaCafe , the building is the national library (Bibliothèque Nationale Française)

@spleenone, Thanks!
@Musashicha, merci!
@tgm Thanks!

Hello!

Yes everything is correct. Let's then say J-25, J-48 lenses. If necessary I can send various test and portrait photos from them with a full frame Canon 6D.

PO18 lens is now even on ebay sold for $ 1000, I collected for several years a photografy of 20 copies of this lens, which were sold on various sites. Here are my some photos from this lens

https://yadi.sk/d/HoYwBKjc3JgAsQ

I have some experience in such lenses - Soviet (I live in Russia) and foreign ones - I like fast portrait lenses, now I'm experimenting with GOI lenses (GOI Helios 75mm 1.35). Some of the interesting Soviet I have experience with such OKS1-100-1, OKS1-75-1, PO60-2, J-25, J-48, URAN-10, URAN-27

Of the new lenses - Meopta Stigmar 100mm 1.4 (weight 1.5kg), but I have not tested it yet http://lens-club.ru/lenses/item/c_9793.html

P.S. I liked your photos with OKS1-100-1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lexx, impressive results with that (your) PO18-2!!

About that STIGMAR 1.4/100mm, indeed it is heavy, but quite a capable lens, here some
of my results: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157693146825885

Looking forward to seeing some results of that GOI HELIOS 1.35/75mm soon!

PS: I cleaned up those dead entries...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Lexx, impressive results with that (your) PO18-2!!

About that STIGMAR 1.4/100mm, indeed it is heavy, but quite a capable lens, here some
of my results: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157693146825885

Looking forward to seeing some results of that GOI HELIOS 1.35/75mm soon!

PS: I cleaned up those dead entries...

Thank you!

So far, I do not hurry to deal with remaking meopta 100mm 1.4 because it's not a very suitable back focal length, so first of all I will do GOI Helios 75mm 1.35. I just found out that the back focal length of it is 46mm, which will almost get infinity on my 6D (will influence: the thickness of the adapter is m42-eos 2mm + the rear wall of the helicoid is 1mm + the thickness of the lens retaining ring at the rear lens does not know how many mm) , I will minimize this distance as much as possible

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your photos with RO18, it indeed looks pretty nice!

Did you compared the RO60-2 with RO2-2M? It should be a bit similar.
Uran-10 and Uran-27 I also have, but I prefer the Uran-27, better contrast, my Uran-10 has a bit of glow wide open.

Thanks about my photos!

Btw, if you like portrait lenses, you may appreciate this article I wrote a year ago, where I made a little "comparaison" of several soviet portrait lenses
http://pierretizien-photos.blogspot.com/2017/09/quel-objectif-pour-des-portraits.html

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
Thanks for your photos with RO18, it indeed looks pretty nice!

Did you compared the RO60-2 with RO2-2M? It should be a bit similar.
Uran-10 and Uran-27 I also have, but I prefer the Uran-27, better contrast, my Uran-10 has a bit of glow wide open.

Thanks about my photos!

Btw, if you like portrait lenses, you may appreciate this article I wrote a year ago, where I made a little "comparaison" of several soviet portrait lenses
http://pierretizien-photos.blogspot.com/2017/09/quel-objectif-pour-des-portraits.html

Thanks, at the moment PO18 is my favorite portent obict.

Uran lenses somehow did not really like. RO60-2 and PO2-2M I had at different times, but I do not remember any big differences between them. However, z has found a comparison of the objectives RO60, OKS1-75-1, OKS6-75-1 and PO2-2m, I think this test will be interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small Thank you!