Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Difference between 8-element Super Takumar 1.4/50 and 7?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Difference between 8-element Super Takumar 1.4/50 and 7? Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm wondering if there's any difference between the older 8-element Super Takumar 1.4/50 and the newer 7-element one in terms of image quality/sharpness. The lens is known to be quite sharp, so I want to make sure I don't buy the 8-element if it's not quite as good!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between 8-element Super Takumar 1.4/50 and 7? Reply with quote

streetwaves wrote:
Hey guys, I'm wondering if there's any difference between the older 8-element Super Takumar 1.4/50 and the newer 7-element one in terms of image quality/sharpness. The lens is known to be quite sharp, so I want to make sure I don't buy the 8-element if it's not quite as good!

Whats the ref point of this information..

I was thinking, SMC has only coating difference from Takumar 50mm f1.4. Other change was number of blades in aperture iris. SMC has more blades and better OOF control, SMC is considered (I havent used SMC yet, but I can think of) much more sharper than Super-Takumar model.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between 8-element Super Takumar 1.4/50 and 7? Reply with quote

streetwaves wrote:

Gerjan van Oosten says (about the 7 element Super-Takumar, which appeared in 1965):
"New optical design with one lens element less than its predecessor. Improved image quality."
[Quoted from Gerjan van Oosten, The Ultimate Asahi pentax Screw Mount Guide 1952-1977, ISBN 90-76537-02-X]

Anyway, the 8 element Super-Takumar (part number 358 or 35800) was only produced for less than 2 years and is somewhat rare compared to the 7 element Super-Takumar (part number 378, 37800, 37801 or 37802), which has been in production for almost 6 years.

BTW, nice avatar.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between 8-element Super Takumar 1.4/50 and 7? Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
streetwaves wrote:

Gerjan van Oosten says (about the 7 element Super-Takumar, which appeared in 1965):
"New optical design with one lens element less than its predecessor. Improved image quality."
[Quoted from Gerjan van Oosten, The Ultimate Asahi pentax Screw Mount Guide 1952-1977, ISBN 90-76537-02-X]

Anyway, the 8 element Super-Takumar (part number 358 or 35800) was only produced for less than 2 years and is somewhat rare compared to the 7 element Super-Takumar (part number 378, 37800, 37801 or 37802), which has been in production for almost 6 years.

BTW, nice avatar.

Cheers!

Abbazz

Good informations, Abbazz, I really have known it. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between 8-element Super Takumar 1.4/50 and 7? Reply with quote

[quote="Abbazz"]
streetwaves wrote:

A bit off-topic: Gerjan van Oosten was a former colleague of mine and the person solely responsible for infecting me with the Pentax virus. Who wouldn't if you were shown a mint Pentax LX with its removable finder? Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be eternally grateful if anybody can tell me where to find a copy of Mr van Oosten's book - it's been on my wish-list for a while now Wink

Interesting information about the life-span of the 8-element lenses - thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested about 10 50/1.4 Takumars and none of them was 8-element. They are very rare.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal1905 wrote:
I'll be eternally grateful if anybody can tell me where to find a copy of Mr van Oosten's book - it's been on my wish-list for a while now Wink

You can contact Gerjan directly: http://www.aocn.nl/html/contact.htm. If there any books left, ask for a signed copy Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have the serial number range of the 8-element lens?

Does it also use Thorium glass?

I've got a hot-glass 50/1.4 that I let sit in front of a UV light for a few days to tame the yellowed glass. It's a great performer. With the Thorium glass, it's hard to see why anyone would go to an 8-element design.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:

I don't, but the part number is engraved under the auto/manual switch.

Brian wrote:

No idea but I would guess not.

Brian wrote:
I've got a hot-glass 50/1.4 that I let sit in front of a UV light for a few days to tame the yellowed glass. It's a great performer. With the Thorium glass, it's hard to see why anyone would go to an 8-element design.

Another quote from G. van Oosten's book: "This lens initially was comprised of 8 elements. It was followed by a newly designed lens that yielded a better sharpness and a higher image contrast than its predecessor. The new lens has a seven element construction instead of eight".

It would make sense to me that the secret weapon that allowed Asahi Optical Co. to manufacture a better lens with less elements was the new thoriated glass.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the 8-element version doesn't containt thoriated element. The later version use thorium to reduce the number of optical elements.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were actually three different Super-Takumar 1.4/50s (not including S-M-C and SMC). The first model (1964-1966) has 8 elements in 7 groups, the part number stamped on the A-M switch is 358. This lens does NOT have the thoriated element. The infrared focus mark is inside the f4 mark on the depth of field scale and the rear element protrudes outside its metal rim.

The second and third models (1967-1971) both have 7 elements in 6 groups and both have the Thorium element. Part numbers are 378 and 37801. The infrared mark is between f4 and f8 and the rear element is more enclosed by the metal rim.

Even though the first is not thoriated, all three models can still appear yellow in photographs due to the reflection of the old method of coating before SMC.

Some details here
http://www.aohc.it/tak03e.htm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between 8-element Super Takumar 1.4/50 and 7? Reply with quote

KhanX wrote:

Good informations, Abbazz, I really have known it. Laughing[/quote]

yes... Good information... thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

The second and third models (1967-1971) both have 7 elements in 6 groups and both have the Thorium element.

Which surprises me somewhat - I always thought that the thoriated element was a relic of a relatively old design, and not introduced as late as '67. By the mid sixties, their production was already encumbered with workplace safety and waste disposal regulations, and the yellowing/aging issue was well known, so that other manufacturers were dropping or replacing their existing thoriated designs by that time.

Sevo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I kow, the thoriated SMC 1.4/50 M42 lenses continued until 1975, when the K mount lenses were introduced.
Far too much fuss is made about the radiation in these lenses in my opinion. The level of radiation is extremely low, less than ambient in some places in the world. It has to be, otherwise it would fog the film. I don't know how it compares with workplace safety levels though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radiation doesn't always cause yellowing. The yellow part is not the glass, but optical glue and not each optical glue is prone to coloration. Some lenses build by Tomioka are radioactive, too, but they doesn't turn yellow, or only slightly (e.g. some DS-M Yashinons).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
The level of radiation is extremely low, less than ambient in some places in the world. It has to be, otherwise it would fog the film. I don't know how it compares with workplace safety levels though.

Lens cutting and polishing is the problem - alpha radioactive dust and slurry are nothing you'd want to expose the workers or downstream population to.

Sevo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO the older lens is without Thorium glass. Mine is completely clear (no yellowing). It can be identified by S/N (in the 1,000,000 range), older type of letters on lensring. The outlay is somewhat smaller, but the rear lens intrudes more into the camera than with the 7-element version.

I have some pictures of the 8-elements lens and of the latest, SMC full metal version here (scroll a bit down):
http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Pentax_S1.html

HAPPY NEW YEAR,

Frank

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay guys, so I'm confused.

What I'm wondering is, are these the best "versions" of the lenses, or should I maybe keep a lookout for different versions?

Asahi Opt. Co., Super-Takumar 1:2 / 55 (981602)
Asahi Opt. Co., Super-Takumar 3.5 / 35 (1921982)

Reading about the older, less impressive 8-element lenses, that got me wondering if these two were also technically inferior. I've read nothing but good about Super-Takumars, but I'm pretty confused about whether these lenses are the good ones or if I need some sort of "Super-Multi-Coated" later version for the acclaim to apply. If so, please let me know what I should look for (I'll want to buy the same lenses, but their best versions). Thanks to anyone can help!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

streetwaves, can you quote the part numbers stamped on the back side of the A-M switch? The serial numbers don't mean a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
streetwaves, can you quote the part numbers stamped on the back side of the A-M switch? The serial numbers don't mean a lot.

Okay, but I'm having trouble finding them. I don't see anything on or around the A-M switch except for those two letters.
Embarassed

\EDIT: I'm pretty sure the 3.5/35 is Asahi Pt. # 43571, via this page: http://www.aohc.it/tak02e.htm since only two 3.5/35's have a minimum aperture of 16 (mine does), and my lens doesn't say "SMC" (or Super-Multi-Coated).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

streetwaves wrote:

Reading about the older, less impressive 8-element lenses, that got me wondering if these two were also technically inferior. I've read nothing but good about Super-Takumars, but I'm pretty confused about whether these lenses are the good ones or if I need some sort of "Super-Multi-Coated" later version for the acclaim to apply. If so, please let me know what I should look for (I'll want to buy the same lenses, but their best versions). Thanks to anyone can help!

It's good to know that there are no "inferior" Takumars, unless you take into account the much later K-mount Takumars which are budget lenses. The differences between different versions (SMC versus Super) are not that big, there will always be differences but not by night and day. The non-SMC's can be a bit more prone to flare if you are shooting into the sun but how often do you do that?

Maybe it's best to try them out for yourself. If you don't like the Super then sell it and get a SMC. Most of us here do it the same way (although I usually don't sell anything Laughing )

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay! My 50/1.4 is a 37801. Found on the A/M switch.

My 85/4.5 Ultra-Achromat is a 43851, also found on the A/M switch. I suspect that is the Asahi part number. This lens is Asahi Optical on the name ring.

Now- what other Pentax lenses can I look for numbers that I never noticed before!

Thankyou for this information.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Now- what other Pentax lenses can I look for numbers that I never noticed before!

Check your 135/3.5. If the number is "43540," then this is an earlier "type I" lens with a 5 element, 4 group formula. If the number is "43541," then this is the newer 4 element, 4 group "type II" lens.

You could also try with your 135/2.5: the "type I" (part number 43802) has a 5 element/4 group formula, while the "type II" (part number 43812) has a 6 element/6 group formula and is a much better lens.

Brian wrote:
Thankyou for this information.

You're welcome. It's an honor to be of some help to the Brian S. of RFF fame Wink

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
Brian wrote:

I don't, but the part number is engraved under the auto/manual switch.

Brian wrote:

No idea but I would guess not.

Brian wrote:

Another quote from G. van Oosten's book: "This lens initially was comprised of 8 elements. It was followed by a newly designed lens that yielded a better sharpness and a higher image contrast than its predecessor. The new lens has a seven element construction instead of eight".

It would make sense to me that the secret weapon that allowed Asahi Optical Co. to manufacture a better lens with less elements was the new thoriated glass.

Cheers!

Abbazz

Similar question was about the first and nexts versions of the summicron M 35/2.

Leica said that the newest, with less elements was better, the users and colectors said that the fist was better.

Who knows the true? Both were excelents.

can we say the same here? Rino.