Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help Please! My film negatives have a thin line across them?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Help Please! My film negatives have a thin line across them? Reply with quote

Hello,

I do both colour and B&W film photography, 35mm and medium format, and I have noticed on many photos I get a single line across the image. Is this a defect of the film and also is it a common problem? (I have come from a digital background).

Here is a sample - Film wedding photography with Contax 645 + 120 Kodak Porta 400 film

Kodak Portra Wedding Portrait by MatthewOsbornePhotography_, on Flickr

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing to do is look at the neg thru' a loupe and go from there..... Sad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's happen often if spool get dirty touch film path in camera with your fingers and find something what can hurt emulsion.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing that causes this is the scanner - dust or something in the upper light, or even one of the calibration holes in the carrier, can cause this.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
The other thing that causes this is the scanner - dust or something in the upper light, or even one of the calibration holes in the carrier, can cause this.

Hello all

Nesster is correct!

That line is digital, and is caused by dirt in the calibration holes in the top center of the scanbed. Maintain this very clean and lint free.

It happens all the time with me, and with a blow can = problem solved.

I include a link with a photo where you can see the two squares whith a little hole in it... that's the cause of this digital lines

Hope it helps

Regards

Jnarciso

http://www.photoreview.com.au/var/photoreview/storage/images/media/images/scanbed-w-film/112123-1-eng-GB/scanbed-w-film.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnarciso wrote:
Nesster is correct!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Don't let my wife see that! It would upset the balance of being right in our house.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scanner, definitely.

And yes, analyze negative on light table with loupe is always the first step, to be done in any case.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks all.

I will take a look at my Epson v600 scanner.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, my Epson 4490 just showed the same issue... solved with blower Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: LARRY KING Reply with quote

I thing analyzing negative on light table would work