Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best Helios-44 like lens ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Best Helios-44 like lens ? Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm looking for a Helios-44 like lens with good sharpness and contrast and swirly bokeh. I don't mind if it's slightly less swirly than my 44-2. Must be easy to find and not too expensive. Would be good if there are not too much sample variations. It can be either m42 or SLR mount.

I'm hesitating between:
- Helios 44-3 (is it really better than the others ?)
- Helios 81
- Helios 77
- Zenitar 50mm f/2 (I don't mind plastic construction if optics are worth the try)

What do you think about them ? Or maybe you have another one to advise ??

Thank you for your help Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosina Auto Cosinon 50mm F=1.8 Here compared with the helios

Cosinon:

Helios:

You could also try the later 50 1.7 but I don't have that one so I couldn't say.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fun coincidence that you ask this question about bokeh. I have been thinking about doing a Helios bokeh battle to settle which one has the most swirl. Then post the results here of course.
The lenses included will be:

Helios 44-2, (I don't think it's necessary to include other 44's)
Helios 77m or m-4
Helios 81
Helios 103

Now all of these are good on their own. My Helios 103 do have low contrast but I think the adapter is leaking light.

I'll take a guess here and say that the 77 will be the sharpest and the 103 will have the strongest swirl.

And when it comes to sample variation these lenses have some of the highest variation, not counting odd zooms.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Helios-44 like lens ? Reply with quote

MMouse wrote:
Hello,

I'm looking for a Helios-44 like lens with good sharpness and contrast and swirly bokeh. I don't mind if it's slightly less swirly than my 44-2. Must be easy to find and not too expensive. Would be good if there are not too much sample variations. It can be either m42 or SLR mount.

I'm hesitating between:
- Helios 81
- Helios 77
- Zenitar 50mm f/2 (I don't mind plastic construction if optics are worth the try)

Helios 44 m39 13 blades, in my opinion, is good option. Sharp,swirl bokeh, not very expensive.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149592525@N05/sets/72157682390203255
Second is 44-2. Cheap. Nice. Good performer.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best Helios 44 like lens is almost certainly - the Helios 44, a lens that is somewhat unique in it's performance and famed for its bokeh.
Wink

The Helios is of course a Biotar copy, and the Chinese Seagull Company went one step further and made a copy of the Helios, with a Minolta lens mount. The HAIOU-64. 58 / 2 doesn't seem to have the same swirly bokeh, but it's not a bad lens. It's sharp enough and gives pleasing colours. It's also heavier than the Helios Shocked being mainly brass construction.

Taken wide open.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Thank you for your help.
I already have the 44-2, good lens but I don't really like it's handling.

Didn't know the Cosinon.
I'm tempted by the plastic Zenitar since it's so cheap. But judging from the pictures I saw, the Helios 44-3 seems to be the best. Maybe sharper than my 44-2.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meyer Optik Görlitz Domiplan Smile or Fujinon 2.2/55mm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios 44 ZM39 is a phenomenon lens. of course some copy might be not that good but i have a 8blade one and it is fantastic.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:

I had a Domiplan for a while, put it back on the camera and sold it. I just didn't find anything appealing about it, I tried it, and never bothered with it again,

The Fujinon on the other hand, is a joy to use. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Pancolart wrote:

I had a Domiplan for a while, put it back on the camera and sold it. I just didn't find anything appealing about it, I tried it, and never bothered with it again,

The Fujinon on the other hand, is a joy to use. Like 1 small

I enjoy both ... they're very different and don't necessarily respond well to the same subjects, but I'll be keeping both of mine Smile

Another "similar but different" is the Ricoh Riconar 55mm f/2.2. Possibly not worth seeking out specifically, but worth a try if you find one locally, also the Practikar 50mm f/2.4, again worth a try if you find one cheap. These "entry-level" lenses that were included with the "economy version" cameras can give "artistic" results that go beyond the all-out resolution and sharpness criteria that were so acclaimed in the tests of the time Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'kit lens' had to be good, if the customer bought a camera and found the lens was junk - they weren't going back to buy the 28mm and 135mm. Which is why there are so many good 50 - 58mm lenses out there, they might be vastly different, but it's hard to find one that is genuinely bad.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the lens but the choice of background, the distance from that background, which makes the Helios (whichever model) swirly or less swirly or... not swirly at all. Cool

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the lens in combination those things....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Helios-44 like lens ? Reply with quote

MMouse wrote:
Hello,

No.

to-my wrote:

Helios 44 m39 13 blades, in my opinion, is good option. Sharp,swirl bokeh, not very expensive.
Second is 44-2. Cheap. Nice. Good performer.

Like 1 small

Lloydy wrote:
The best Helios 44 like lens is almost certainly - the Helios 44, a lens that is somewhat unique in it's performance and famed for its bokeh.
Wink

Like 1 small

The Tomioka made 1.4/55 in all of its names is also very good. Great sharpness and good character to its bokeh.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Best Helios-44 like lens ? Reply with quote

MMouse wrote:
Hello,

I'm hesitating between:
- Helios 81
- Helios 77

You might find my comparison interesting:

http://toby-marshall.com/galleries/bokeh-tales/a-comparison-of-the-bokeh-and-rendering-of-35-vintage-normal-full-frame-prime-lenses/