Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD S.S.C 200mm f2.8 - missing screws
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Canon FD S.S.C 200mm f2.8 - missing screws Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I am trying to repair Canon FD S.S.C 200mm f2.8, there are missing 2 of the 3 screws for holding the rear.

Is ther any way I can find out which screw type it is so I can buy it somewhere? If that's even possible.

I will be glad for any help,

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measure them up with an accurate micrometer to get the thread dimensions. These are JIS screws and they are therefore metric. Reference tables will indicate the thread size from the measured diameter. They can be replaced with a countersunk head screw of the same thread size and similar length - likely to be a fairly standard diameter eg 1.8mm, 2mm... so shouldn't be any great difficulty find a supplier.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Canon FD S.S.C 200mm f2.8 - missing screws Reply with quote

Martinorsy wrote:
Hello everyone!

I am trying to repair Canon FD S.S.C 200mm f2.8, there are missing 2 of the 3 screws for holding the rear.

Is ther any way I can find out which screw type it is so I can buy it somewhere? If that's even possible.

I will be glad for any help,

Thanks!

I no nothing about that lens, but it is highly likely, given the application, that the missing 2 screws would be identical to the one you have in there. Just take that one out and use it to find 2 more. To be sure they work, all you need do is to hand screw them into the threads, making sure they do not bottom out. After you know the length is okay, then you can tighten them with a driver. In other words, they need only be long enough to hold down the plate to which they set up against, but not so short that they risk stripping under any tightening load (torque). Does this make sense? If by some chance they do bottom out (ie, they are too long) simply take a dremel tool and grind off the needed amount so that they screw up flush. The most important thing is the thread pitch--I think it is highly likely all 3 screws have the same thread pitch for that application. JT Best

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your picture is too small, I can't tell what I'm looking at...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Canon FD S.S.C 200mm f2.8 - missing screws Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your replies and useful tips! I'll do my best now to put it together. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question (probably stupid) would be : shoudn't work any others canon fd (or nfd) to dissasemble the mount and use it's screws?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
My question (probably stupid) would be : shoudn't work any others canon fd (or nfd) to dissasemble the mount and use it's screws?

The screw in his photo looks longer than a regular FD mount screw. However, it's most certainly not original.