Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kodak Color Printing Lens Mount?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:21 pm    Post subject: Kodak Color Printing Lens Mount? Reply with quote

I found this old shutter in my junk drawer. I was hoping to figure out a way to mount one of my Kodak Color Printing lenses on it.
Anybody know how?
Thanks
J

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SK grimes gives thread specs for many old shutters:

https://skgrimes.com/products/lens-mounting-to-shutter/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you only need the information of the lens mount or also of the shutter? I don't know anything about the latter, but you might be able to find this information in one of the large format forums (like photrio). As far as I know not all Color Printing Ektars have the same diameter and thread size... Some sellers claim they have 40.5 mm threads, but memory serves me right they actually have a non-metric thread size. Yours looks like it could be similar to one of mine (a 103 mm variant) which has a measured diameter of 39.5 mm. It might fit in some LTM/M39 adapters, but it has a different thread pitch (I think I've read something about 0.7 mm once...) so a 39x0.75 mm adapter to whatever your shutter needs is probably the way to go. RAF Camera makes custom adapters (https://rafcamera.com/custom-adapter), but I've never used the online tool he provides for that. I've heard it works pretty well though.

I like the Color-Printing Ektars on full-frame but I'm not sure it's really worth it to adapt them to large or medium format, so in your case I would probably try to get it onto a lensboard/shutter via some (easily removable!) tape first and see what it does on the format you're going to use it on. While those Heliar designs seem to often provide beautiful renderings, I'd guess that they're not the best lenses in terms of coverage. If you're going to use them on full frame, I can absolutely recommend them:

Sending signals of love by simple.joy, on Flickr

… but I dye-grass. by simple.joy, on Flickr

Time for a new record, player! by simple.joy, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great images!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shutters like those are usually intended to fit in the middle of the lens, with a group before the shutter & another after it. Relative spacing of both is critical to lens performance.
It may well be possible to mount your lens entirely before the shutter but this may well cause vignetting.
If you can measure the internal diameter of the screw thread on the shutter it will probably be possibly to identify the shutter size - recently most are copal shutters in #0, #1 or #3 sizes (note no #2) but there are over 20 other types!

For my barrel lenses I'm most likely just to use an old Thornton Pickard shutter in-front of the lens. These are much easier to change between lenses, though I've not found one big enough for my 150mm/1.2 Sad

FWIW the lens board the shutter is on looks like a Linhof Technika type - there are a large range of types but the complex bottom edge is a good identifying feature for Technika Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
I'm not sure if you only need the information of the lens mount or also of the shutter? I don't know anything about the latter, but you might be able to find this information in one of the large format forums (like photrio). As far as I know not all Color Printing Ektars have the same diameter and thread size... Some sellers claim they have 40.5 mm threads, but memory serves me right they actually have a non-metric thread size. Yours looks like it could be similar to one of mine (a 103 mm variant) which has a measured diameter of 39.5 mm.

Metric threads are described by the maximum diameter of the male threads and are always fractionally smaller than the stated size.
If yours is 39.5mm across the male threads it could be M40, but not M39.
The ID of female threads is around twice the pitch smaller.
Imperial threads can get more awkward - 39.5mm would be about 1 9/16" - the pitch of these imperial threads is described using the number of threads per inch, rather than the pitch as used in metric. There are pitches that are apparently often misreported Leica thread mount is actually a match of metric & imperial M39 but at 26tpi (due to the lathes in use at the time) This is close enough to m39x1 that the two sometimes mount correctly.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Great images!

Thank you very much!

DConvert wrote:
simple.joy wrote:
I'm not sure if you only need the information of the lens mount or also of the shutter? I don't know anything about the latter, but you might be able to find this information in one of the large format forums (like photrio). As far as I know not all Color Printing Ektars have the same diameter and thread size... Some sellers claim they have 40.5 mm threads, but memory serves me right they actually have a non-metric thread size. Yours looks like it could be similar to one of mine (a 103 mm variant) which has a measured diameter of 39.5 mm.

Metric threads are described by the maximum diameter of the male threads and are always fractionally smaller than the stated size.
Imperial threads can get more awkward - 39.5mm would be about 1 9/16" - the pitch of these imperial threads is described using the number of threads per inch, rather than the pitch as used in metric. There are pitches that are apparently often misreported Leica thread mount is actually a match of metric & imperial M39 but at 26tpi (due to the lathes in use at the time) This is close enough to m39x1 that the two sometimes mount correctly.

You're right - thanks for clarifying! It's probably a 40 x 0.75 mm thread or very close to it, because the adapter which works best in my case is a Novoflex Culring (for the Steinheil Culminar lens head) which should have that thread, going by information on this forum. The Polaroid Tominons also do according to Robert OToole's article (https://www.closeuphotography.com/tominon-17mm) and the front thread of Copal 1 should have the same one as well (https://skgrimes.com/products/shutters/copal-shutters/).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
Great images!

Thank you very much!

DConvert wrote:
simple.joy wrote:

You're right - thanks for clarifying! It's probably a 40 x 0.75 mm thread or very close to it, because the adapter which works best in my case is a Novoflex Culring (for the Steinheil Culminar lens head) which should have that thread, going by information on this forum. The Polaroid Tominons also do according to Robert OToole's article (https://www.closeuphotography.com/tominon-17mm) and the front thread of Copal 1 should have the same one as well (https://skgrimes.com/products/shutters/copal-shutters/).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Great images!

Thank you very much!

DConvert wrote:
simple.joy wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Kodak 59/4.5 enlarging lens. I measured its thread is 40x0.75 or very close to it.