Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

5Dii Finder Magnifiers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: 5Dii Finder Magnifiers Reply with quote

Hi Guys, my first post here!

Can anyone get any definitive answers on what if any viewfinder magnifiers can be attached to a 5D?
It has been implied that the Pentax O-ME53 will fit, can anyone confirm this?

Also any tips on setting up a 5Dii for MF would be appreciated. I already have an EG-S on order...

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome FFdim, have a nice stay with us
for the 5DII, I advice you a kps like this one Click here to see on Ebay
with the eg-s the 5Dii is a great MF machine
check also magic lantern for video or liveview focusing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Poilu, I've been stalking the forums here for a while but figured it was time I registered.
I'll have a look at the KPS, thanks. Have you used it yourself?
Also can I guess by your sig what lenses you are a bit of a fan of by any chance?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eg-S focus screen should be enough -- in-focus 'pops' with fast lens -- eyepiece magnifier sometimes makes seeing entire frame at once difficult or impossible, sometimes interferes with composition -- use live view for critical focus.

Sometimes I use the Pentax Eyepiece Magnifier for Spotmatics, which fits Canon 5D...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use Nikon's DK-17M. See > http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/top_level_5d_eyepieces_etc
If you are an eye-glass wearer, I do not recommend it though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFdim wrote:
Have you used it yourself?

I used it with my 400D,40D and now with my 5DII
before I used a cheaper one (probably pentax but I forget which one) but the borders were blurred with heavy distortion
on the 400D, it was very helpful but I agree with visualopsins , eg-s should be enough for the 5DII and liveview is also available

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DK-17M looks interesting. Why do you recommend it over the KPS?

I'm sure the EG-S would be enough but for a relatively trivial amount I'm probably going to try out a magnifier as well. I kind of prefer not to use liveview unless I have to I suppose. Not really sure why, I just love the feel of shooting through a viewfinder.

Not technically the right part of the forum but I have a Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.2 potentially on the way, so I'm sure you can see why I'm after every focussing aid possible with that things DOF wide open. Anyone have any opinions on this lens for a 5D?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
welcome FFdim, have a nice stay with us
for the 5DII, I advice you a kps like this one Click here to see on Ebay
with the eg-s the 5Dii is a great MF machine
check also magic lantern for video or liveview focusing

That looks interesting. It says 'magnifier' but I can't see anything saying how much it magnifies. Have I missed something? Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fullframedimension wrote:
Not technically the right part of the forum but I have a Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.2 potentially on the way, so I'm sure you can see why I'm after every focussing aid possible with that things DOF wide open. Anyone have any opinions on this lens for a 5D?

I use a Nikon 50/1.2 on my 5D Mkll, it's superb and gives some lovely pop at wider apertures. As with all the Nikon mf lenses I have, it's a marvellously made lens and a joy to use. You will love it. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
It says 'magnifier' but I can't see anything saying how much it magnifies. Have I missed something?

indeed, it is funny they don't say how much it magnifies.
the kps is 1.3x, it is the limit to see the info bar in the viewfinder (with eyeglass, it is almost blocked)
the DK-17M is 1.2x, should be better for eyeglass but I never used it

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
SonicScot wrote:
It says 'magnifier' but I can't see anything saying how much it magnifies. Have I missed something?

indeed, it is funny they don't say how much it magnifies.
the kps is 1.3x, it is the limit to see the info bar in the viewfinder (with eyeglass, it is almost blocked)
the DK-17M is 1.2x, should be better for eyeglass but I never used it

I have a right-angle one for the 5D Mkll which goes to x2.5, you only see the centre of the image so composition is a pain. I never use it Rolling Eyes
I might be interested in this one you linked to. Maybe I'll ask the seller for the details.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with af cameras is they are not set up for manual focus. The screens are low contrast... Even if you put in a bright screen you may need to calibrate the focusing against that the sensor plane level. There can be variations (which is why the sony nex peak focuses is so good!).

There used to be companies like katzeye which made brightscreens for manual focus on eos. Are they still around?

If you want magnifiers try and find the old ones from the 1990s which fit the oldest film eos cameras. They are cheaper and. The viewfinder mounting hasn't changed since.... But note that even then as I recall, they came with an adapter so make sure the one you buy comes with the correct one .