Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon 5D EOS questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Canon 5D EOS questions Reply with quote

Can somebody here please tell me the right answer? I read and hear many stories, but none from people who have ACTUALLY tried this themselves.....

This is the case: i recently bought a Canon 5D. As you now, it's an EOS EF mount, full-frame. All old EOS film cameras are also EF mount, and therefore these lenses can be used on the digital 5D.

Here's my question: people tell me (or would like me to think so) that i can ONLY buy Canon AF EF lenses, because any other brand like Cosina, Tamron, Sigma, Tokina and so on will NOT work on the 5D.
I understand that there are some differences, old Minolta AF lenses do work on Sony Alpha digitals, but they have their limitations in stuff like communicating distances for automated flash-systems, but this was never a problem for me. AF and other functions worked like a charm.

But like said: third party lenses from the film-era which have the Canon EF mount will not work on Canon EF digitals???

Why? I have seen some nice wide-angle lenses for little money, attached to cams like EOS300. For instance, a Tokina and a Cosina, but there's no point in buying them if i have to focus them by hand... i have enough manual focus lenses already!

Thank for reading and answering!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon have changed the EF communication protocol a little bit in the past. Some few very old DSLR have still the old one.
This is no problem with old Canon or Tamron lenses. Those work well on old and new cameras. And new ones too.

But old Sigma lenses are not able to close the iris. And this results in an error when using such a lens and trying to close the iris.
Furthermore it seems some lens manufacturer have taken Sigma lenses and relabled those. So the have the same problem.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ZoneV says. And most Tokina lenses also work well on the 5D, just some don't.
I don't know much about Cosina and Voigtländer AF(EF) lenses, but I heard that some of them also do not work properly.

The lenses that don't work can still be used with an open aperture. It's just aperture control that doesn't work.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only old sigma's will not work appart than full aperture on 5D
Never heard about other lens...
juste some very old EF 70/210 and 100/300 pump versions are said not too work very well

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nelson wrote:
Only old sigma's will not work appart than full aperture on 5D
Never heard about other lens...

I am pretty sure that some of the other lenses don´t work. Like LucisPictor sais, I thought about Cosina branded ones.
As far as I remember I had / have one or two of such lenses in my DIY storage, those have working iris with an EOS 500n, but not with EOS 5D and other DSLR I have.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all! So, avoid older third party lenses....

I have seen a nice Tamron 2.8/28-75 for reasonable money, think i'll buy that one!! It gets better reviews than Canon 28-105 or 28-135.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
Thanks all! So, avoid older third party lenses....

I have seen a nice Tamron 2.8/28-75 for reasonable money, think i'll buy that one!! It gets better reviews than Canon 28-105 or 28-135.

That is a very good lens! And it should work with the 5D without a problem.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I like my Canon EF 28-135 IS USM much (even as a AF and zoom lens combined) - it is one of the few AF lenses I use now and then.
Okay, I do not miss it, it seems this lens is still at a friend of mine (for about a year).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: franchise david Reply with quote

I thought about Cosina branded ones.
As far as I remember I had / have one or two of such lenses in my DIY storage, those have working iris with an EOS 500n, but not with EOS 5D and other DSLR I have.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't start a new thread since my question regards EOS 5D.

I'm a Nikonian owning a DX camera and not planning to change it as far as my AF gear is concerned, but recently jumped at an idea of acquiring a used 5D to work with my M42 and other MF lenses via adapters. I've read reviews of this camera and it seems to be a nice choice, especially since the prices of used ones have dropped recently.

Would you say that a 5D with around 60k shutter release cycles is still worth buying? I read the shutter should last about 100k cycles.

Perhaps there is another FF camera I could consider instead? Pentax maybe? I'm thinking of something not too expensive, since I'm not planning to use any AF lenses with it and don't feel like going mirrorless yet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lena: Pentax does not have any FF DSLR. I have searched for a FF body as well, like you, to use mainly manual lenses. The choice was narrowed down very uickly to just one body: the Canon 5D.
Main reasons: you can adapt a lot of different mounts, and they're indeed cheap. Mine was like new, with a grip, around 20k cycles, and it was way under 500 euros!

I have read about 5d cams with more than 200k shutter releases and still going strong, so i would't worry too much.

There is one thing: the mirrors can fall out. Mine just did, but this is a problem that Canon will fix for you for free, i have sent it to a Canon repair station, and they're going to modify it so it won't happen again!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Canon 5D is a good choice for a 24x36mm camera!
It is a bit heavy and feels chunky - for me this ideal to hold. But probably for with smaller hands it could be to big - not sure about other 24x36mm DSLR cameras size and feel.

And you can use Nikon F-mount lenses with no bigger problem, only for "G" type without iris ring you need a more expensive adapter.

A Sony 7r could be also interessting, very short register distance. But much more expensive and no optical viewfinder.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 in EF mount. I bought it in 2006 and it is still working great on my 40D and 5D...

What is not clear in your question is if your so called third party lens you are looking for are also EF mount type or if you were referring at other mount that could be adapted to EF mount including the contacts.

Anyhow, it is a good lens, but I can also say that I have seen reviews saying that some can be really sharp and some not. Mine, I believe was a not so sharp one. Wide open it is very soft, but I am on the picky side (not pixel peeper but...). I can submit sample pictures to show you. Considering the gear I have, I decided to replace it with the Vario-Sonnar 35-70 and can confirm that the Tamron is going away to finance the purchase of the other one.

Here are my pros and cons of that lens
Pros
fast (f2,8 )
not expensive (selling used approx 300-350$CAD around here)
close focus
Front does not rotate (circular polarizer filter friendly)

Cons
soft wide open (better at around f4 if not f5.6 depending of your taste)
auto focus moderately fast ( slower than the Canon Ultrasonic one)
Barell extends by itself when hanging down (unless you lock it, but then you need to unlock to zoom after Wink )