Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rubin, Soviet zoom lens... fit Canon EOS DSLR?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Rubin, Soviet zoom lens... fit Canon EOS DSLR? Reply with quote

Will it work on the Canon 5D?

http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_1503.html

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I've not across this one before. I've never had a problem with zoom lenses on the 5D before.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks cool, if it works as good as it looks then its a fine lens. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 problems...

1. it is in C mount

2. looks like the rear element extends much back... won't it hit the mirror?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that link says it is an m42 mount lens?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a copy of the Voigtlander Zoomar. Comes in two SLR mounts, M42 and the bayonet for the leaf shutter Zenit SLRs, neither version is very common.

If this one is in C mount, of course it won't fit a Canon DSLR, the register is way too short, it sounds like it was meant for a movie camera, the Russian offered many of their SLR lenses in cine mounts too.

It's not a very good lens, suffered from very strong curvature of field and distortion, even a dirt cheap 1970s crappy Japanese zoom would perform better in many aspects.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way it came in m42 from the factory. Perhaps a prototype but absolutely not a production item.

Someone posted pictures from the Vega 3 not too long ago which was the standard lens for the Zenit 4 and 5 leaf shutter cameras and they just used DKL to m42 adapter. Since it's the same mount, I don't see why the Rubin wouldn't attach...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even genuine Zoomar not worth to use it, as early zoom lens quality is mediocre I saw several times both I did always pass them due weight and not impressive samples what I did find on .net.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Someone posted pictures from the Vega 3 not too long ago which was the standard lens for the Zenit 4 and 5 leaf shutter cameras and they just used DKL to m42 adapter. Since it's the same mount, I don't see why the Rubin wouldn't attach...

I've seen an item photo at local online auction Rubin fitted to a Bessamatic, don't have a clue anyhow if the combo works ..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what ebay has to say...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370900987421?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's in the bayonet mount. Might be able to mount it on a Canon but as you've been told, the IQ is crap, not worth it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is from a between-the-lens shuttered version of the Zenit from the early 60's. It may need an additional element to work.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would put the risk of mirror shattering at greater than the value of images taken by the lens.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rubin-1 lens was one of the few Russian zoom SLR lenses. It was a "kit" lens for the Zenit-6. The Zenit-4,5,6 was a unique Russian SLR line as an attempt to modify their standard SLR`s. It had a unique mount and aperture control. You can use this lens on any SLR camera, however it would require very precise modifications in changing the mount and modifying the aperture control. I myself do have a Zenit-4 and it came with the Vega lens. A very nice set-up indeed.