Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Light-Blaster - Kind of a brilliant gizmo
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Light-Blaster - Kind of a brilliant gizmo Reply with quote

http://www.light-blaster.com/

So you put a lens in front of your flash to focus the light. Seems like a better solution than a snoot.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks very interesting...
Hmm now where is the card

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea for product, wonder if it work as an enlarger.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
that thing has been invented a number of years ago by an artist and was called fulgurator.

He used to blast symobls into other peoples pictures at big events.

I constructed my own from an old T90 (broken shutter) in front of a Metz 45er.

Have to dig it out some time.

Yep, exactly, done by a descendant of our former chanceler Bismarck, he even patented that and I really wonder
if that is not in violation of his patent rights! http://juliusvonbismarck.com/bank/index.php?/projects/fulgurator-idee/
Patent: http://juliusvonbismarck.com/bank/index.php?/projects/fulgurator-tech/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a discussion here about it and the Fulgurator is already being mentioned in here
- but no response of the maker who more than happily discusses other aspects of it....hmmm

http://www.diyphotography.net/light-blaster-reality-altering-strobe-based-projector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never heard of a Fulgurator. I like the idea, I admit, of projecting other things onto a scene. I had thought of it simply for making highly focused and directly point-light placement.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its good to see a product around that allows you to use existing lenses, flashes rather than an all-in-one that limits creativity.

I invented and patented a product for dentistry that use commonly available disposables, was a cheap to make and was infinitely adjustable and cost less than £60. Other companies jumped on the bandwagon and put out their own (quite different) versions that used special disposables and were only suitable for their own product. And cost £500. They sold - mine didnt.

For this reason I hope this will be a popular product and I wish the guy luck with it.

Although I'll probably make my own version. A cheap enlarger lens ought to be suitable.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what is called an optical spotlight. I began using a studio strobe version in 1983. Not a new idea.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be argued the intent is different, as is the hardware shown on the Fulgurator.
Fulgurator is (rather cool, in my opinion) designed to stealthily imprint a light pattern on the work of others. The Blaster is entirely designed to be a deliberate part of the taken scene.
I actually quite fancy making a Fulgurator and spoiling the work of paps, sometime.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a response from teh maker of Lightblaster:
(quote)
Hi Dr. Schmitt,
Thanks for asking. Without getting into any patent legalize, the gist of it is that the Light Blaster is a completely different invention and does not infringe on the one from Julius.

all my best,

Udi Tirosh - Chief Photography Hacker
(unquote)

I don't see much difference, but I'm no patent lawyer, just an engineer Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metz produced a Televorsatz which I own and use with my 45 flash,produces excellent results.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Metz produced a Televorsatz which I own and use with my 45 flash,produces excellent results.

That's interesting. Vivitar made a similar device for the 283 and 285. I got one for my 283, tested it with a flash meter. It turned out to cut off the edges of the flash, didn't increase the intensity at the center. So I got a 12" focal length fresnel and built bracketry to hold it and a 283. The result was much better, narrow beam with GN (ISO 100, feet) around 300. The assembly was very cumbersome and I hardly used it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited