Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Trout fishing anyone?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Trout fishing anyone? Reply with quote

I am currently in NZ, and have bought my son a rod and some lures (he seems keen on fishing so I thought why not).We have asked at the fishing shop for the lures that work in the local river,local knowledge and all that.

Problem, we can see there's plenty of fish but the little sods don't seem to like the lures Laughing I know trout fishing is a game of patience and using the right gear.I was wondering if any of you guys who trout fish regularly have any tips/ideas on how to tempt the local trout. Laughing This is more about learning and developing my sons interest in fishing,I know a little but not a great deal.

I don't have access to any fly fishing gear which I think may work very well in this river.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throw bread and flies up stream from where you are fishing so that it floats down to your position.
This gives you time to light the dynamite...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kendo1 wrote:
Throw bread and flies up stream from where you are fishing so that it floats down to your position.
This gives you time to light the dynamite...

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a worm-drowner all my life but when I've felt the need to practice casting have caught trout with Rooster Tail spinners and Kastmaster spoons. Both are US-made, look on eBay.com to see what they look like.

One caution. The heavier the Rooster Tail or Kastmaster, the deeper it runs. I've lost both to snags.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion and the mention of the weight of the lure.He had a few challenges at first learning how to cast,and he has already lost one lure to the bottom of the river...he caught a rock I think Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, terminal tackle is made to be lost. It took me years to accept that.

I don't know the NZ freshwater fishing rules or the ones, if there are any, specific to the waters where you're likely to take your son fishing. If live bait is allowed, he could do worse than to use worms. I've fished worms as if they were lures -- cast, retrieve slowly and jerkily -- and caught trout that way. Some times worms work well, sometimes Rooster Tails do, sometimes Kastmasters do. I've even caught trout on jointed Rappala plugs. And sometimes nothing works.

Good luck, have fun, and remember, much of the joy of fishing comes from just being out there.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
Quote:
Good luck, have fun, and remember, much of the joy of fishing comes from just being out there.

If I may, I will say Amen to that.
Bait fishing is not allowed in this river so it is either fly or spinner.