Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RE, Auto-Topcor 3,5/25
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: RE, Auto-Topcor 3,5/25 Reply with quote

Bought a beautiful TOKYO KOGAKU RE, Auto-Topcor 3,5/25 recently.

It's now cleaned and lubed.

Hard to flare, pretty sharp, good contrast and bokeh, lovely colors, very useful close focus capability...

Some say it's got soft corner... i wouldn't know from my crop camera...
They also say the RE, Auto-Topcor 4/20 is better..... i'll soon see, i got one coming in the mail Very Happy

Some no PP straight from the camera Jpegs... hope they show what the lens can do...

Early spring

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it. I'm jealous.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On ebay now:

Click here to see on Ebay

And you know i'll clean & lube 'em if you want...

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice, congrats, I'm looking forward to your shots from the 20.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir wrote:
On ebay now:

And you know i'll clean & lube 'em if you want...

Yes, I was already tracking them, but now that everyone else knows... Rolling Eyes Really though, they always go too high for my budget.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the marketsection or your signature the right place for those posts?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabian wrote:
Isn't the marketsection or your signature the right place for those posts?

If he was promoting his own lenses then yes, but it was a heads up to woodrims post, a pm may have been a better choice to keep the number of bidders down, other than that, no harm done, IMO.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for opening my big mouth Embarassed

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir wrote:
Sorry for opening my big mouth Embarassed

You were just trying to be helpful, if people have a problem with that, it's their bad, not yours. Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you posted the links, I just wish they were the black versions.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the black ones are less common by a factor of three of four, sadly. All mine are silver, never seen a black one for sale in England.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked because I came across a couple of other topics in here to promote the sales of a lens recently, not meant as personal attack, just wondering if there's a policy to follow.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't meant to offend anyone, was just saying, the motive was good so don't worry about it. Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely shots, I`m very fond of mine. Better than your 28mm 2.8? Wink

I have acquired two 58mm 1.8s , does anyone have a link or resource for the various versions, one has feet on the distance scale only, the other metres and feet.

Ian my 58mm 1.4 is black and came from London. I`ve now found out the missing grub screw doesn`t affect it much and I just need to improve the lube as the grip is slightly stretched and I don`t want to make it worse.

I have the 35mm 2.8 now and am looking for a 100 2.8 to finish my Topcor spending.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macca wrote:
Lovely shots, I`m very fond of mine. Better than your 28mm 2.8? Wink

I have acquired two 58mm 1.8s , does anyone have a link or resource for the various versions, one has feet on the distance scale only, the other metres and feet.

Ian my 58mm 1.4 is black and came from London. I`ve now found out the missing grub screw doesn`t affect it much and I just need to improve the lube as the grip is slightly stretched and I don`t want to make it worse.

I have the 35mm 2.8 now and am looking for a 100 2.8 to finish my Topcor spending.

I have an RE 28/2.8 & 58/1.4 and an R 135/3.5 in black, I'd like to find a 20, 35, & 100 in black.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't want the 85mm f/1.8? Can't find any samples but word is it's great, usually the forgotten RE Topcor because there aren't that many around.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about lightshow, but i'm looking and bidding and wishing.....
Most of the time i think i'm only dreaming....

I've spoken to a guy who recently got one BIN on ebay, second looker he says....$300

But up to now, I ain't so lucky...Rolling Eyes

Guess i'll continue selling stuff until i raise enough to buy one
of them ridiculously expensive one

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow: A black 100 on ebay now.

Mir: I blew it. Those two didn't go very high at all. Anyone here buy one of them?

I'd want to know and see more from the 85mm before putting out those big dollars.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@woodrim

Holy crap !! Evil or Very Mad

That was a lot less then what i paid for mine...
Go figure...

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black 100/2.8 has got a banged up filter ring....
Not very good if you plan on dismantling it...
The lens group comes out from the front...

I've taken apart, cleaned and lubed 14 RE, Auto-Topcor in all
(i'm finishing a black 58/1.8 #11682697 right now)
and all of them, even the later black models are filthy...
It's best to clean them.... even if the smoothness of the
focus ring makes one beleive the beast is mint...

After 40-50 years, the lubricant has broken up and seperated
and they're all not so far from having oil on the blades...

On most of those i've cleaned, oil was all over the lens block...
To close for comfort from the blades...

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those two 25`s went fairly cheap, I`ve been watching prices since I got mine and they were relative bargains especially as they are superb performers for that money.

I bagged the Series 9 hood/filter ring from the same source as it has no filter thread , been patiently waiting for a reasonable priced one as they are asking for 70-90 pounds in most dealers or more , I need a nice drop in series 9 polariser now...someone gazumped me for one I had been watching they day before ( someone from here I guess!)

My upper budget on any lens is about £ 60-80 at a push at the moment so chances of snaring a 85mm are slim unless I get lucky again.

I haven`t got the skill or time to completely dismantle and clean like Mir but have done some basic work and they are easy to work with if you are careful.

The adapters have become a problem, they are not as good as the original and I have emailed the vendor to see if he can rectify problems without any reply to date, I would be reluctant to order more of the recent quality ones as they usually mean a compromise of three screws instead of four on some lens due to misaligned holes which is unacceptable for a reasonably pricey adapter IMO.

If you are taking slotted screws off the base to fit the adapter always put a small amount of nail varnish remover on the screws with a toothpick and leave for 10 minutes or so, makes life easier as they have usually been glued slightly.

I`ve been using the 58mm macro lately and while not extensively tested its a lovely lightweight super sharp macro, easily sharper than my volna 9, my previous smc tak 100 4 and quite possibly my Minolta 100 2.8! though I haven`t directly compared the two yet. It doesn`t quite have the cream like bokeh of the others so far but It`s not unpleasant and I need to check that out more.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some quick wide open shots from the 25mm 3.5 today. Flowers again, the light was meh and it was breezy as well but you get an idea of the bokeh etc. wide open and unprocessed from RAW.

Last edited by Macca on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last one is nice.
Yes I do want the 85, but it would have to be a good deal... And maybe a 200 or 300mm.
There is a black 20/4 on the bay, but it has issues.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Lightshow: A black 100 on ebay now.

Gokevencamera? If so, I'll pass, everything is BIN, @ 25-50% more $$$, and has the option to submit a best offer, my $50 & $25 less offers were both rejected on a $300 lens, so I bought elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camping with the kids so managed some "bluesky" shots with the 25mm at the weekend, first time out with the original hood/filter ring and a series 9 drop in linear polariser, all handheld, standard camera settings. The colours are Shocked

Some distortion adjustment here,( minor)

Mainly shot f8- f11 IIRC.