Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 40 & Cyclop 85mm f/1.5 - A7R
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So great! I wish I got my hands on one of those Smile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to contribute to this thread since I've bought this lens and have had it for 2 months or so and I haven't used it at all! I'm going shoot it on the A7R and the NEX-7+SpeedBooster and see how they compare.

The only thing I know is that this lens is built like a tank, better than my Contax Zeiss.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I don't use it at all, way too heavy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
That's why I don't use it at all, way too heavy.

Also the focusing ring is quite stiff on mine too and I bought it brand new.

It does look like military equipment though haha.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is more from the Cyclop

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible!

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellow! My girlfriend so is not going to like it Wink You're luring me with those photos so much, I want my Cyclop or Helios 85mm! And that means a lot of cash spent on next lens and next metal&glass barrel to place in the living room Wink

Stunning photos!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
kryss wrote:
Hi Woodrim, +8F is Bikini weather here in Calgary Alberta.last Friday it was - 42C and a windchill made it -52C i.e..2mins.exposure and hello frostbite.

Sounds like living on the dark side of the moon. All I can think is WHY? Do people actually commute in that cold? Cars run? Mine wouldn't. Perhaps you should create an underground tunnel community.

A little OT chuckle about Canadian winters. I lived in Montreal for over 20 years and I miss them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I didn't think my -40 comment would create such a shock, if you're dressed for it, it's not that bad, the wind is much worse, it just sucks the heat out of you, it has since warmed up some, the following week it was -18c and felt like spring... Cold but much more bearable, thankfully -40 doesn't happen very often and only lasts a week, it makes you appreciate the warmer temps, I never complain it's too warm.
The camera didn't break, but I wasn't out all that long, maybe 10 minutes, I couldn't focus one of my lenses as it froze solid, I relubed it and it should handle low temps better now.

I did briefly have the Helios 40, but it was serviced just before it was put on eBay, and the elements were put in wrong causing them to touch in the centre, vibration in shipping caused damage to the coatings of two of the elements involved. Sad
I never got around to buying another.
I wish I had a mint one, thanks for posting pics from it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ones Lars!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!
The winters are pretty cold here as well, maybe not as cold as in the north of Norway, but -30 to -35 is the coldest it gets around here.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent photos.

I really need to stop looking at A7 related posts, Im starting to get serious gear envy!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temps will be in the 70s F here tomorrow. Just thought I'd mention Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Temps will be in the 70s F here tomorrow. Just thought I'd mention Very Happy

Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verry cool images. Now I need one too...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Helios 40 & Cyclop 85mm f/1.5 - A7R Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Still testing out my new camera Wink
Wide open shots

Sorry to bring up an old thread but do you mind sharing which lens mount you got and what adapter you are using?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios 40 is m39 mount for SLR and Cyclop is m42 (Helios 40-2), both common screw mount systems. I use cheap adapters from ebay. Any brand should work. If you have Sony E-mount just search for "m42 to NEX" + "m39 to m42" (tiny silver threaded ring to convert m39 to m42 mount) if you have the m39 mount (Helios 40, silver version).

Cheers
Lars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Helios 40 is m39 mount for SLR and Cyclop is m42 (Helios 40-2), both common screw mount systems. I use cheap adapters from ebay. Any brand should work. If you have Sony E-mount just search for "m42 to NEX" + "m39 to m42" (tiny silver threaded ring to convert m39 to m42 mount) if you have the m39 mount (Helios 40, silver version).

Cheers
Lars

Only partly true: Helios 40 is M39 (LTM = Leica Thread Mount) only in old version, newer (black) one is M42

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

Cheers
Lars

thanks!