Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 40 & Cyclop 85mm f/1.5 - A7R
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Was -40 when I picked up my A7r, was a bit warmer today but didn't get out to shoot. Sad
Tomorrow should be not too bad.

Let me know how the camera works in -40 Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Lightshow wrote:
Was -40 when I picked up my A7r, was a bit warmer today but didn't get out to shoot. Sad

-40°C or -40°Fahrenheit ?

-40°C is very cold Smile The coldest I've ever experienced was in switzerland in winter on a mountain during a snow storm, 2500-3000m above sea level; -41°C . Definately not nice weather for photography. Some cameras like Kiev 60 already stop working reliable below 10°C ^^

Last edited by ForenSeil on Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
Nordentro wrote:
Lightshow wrote:

-40°C or -40°Fahrenheit (+4.4°C Very Happy)

-40°C is very cold Smile ....

-40°Fahrenheit is also very cold. You might want to check the conversion.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderful photos !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-40C and -40F exactly same temperature.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
-40C and -40F exactly same temperature.

lol, ups Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great lens! I love that swirly bokeh.
I always wanted to get one, but those are really expensive in Poland (cheapest go for $350). There's also a different version of that lens named Cyclop 85/1.5 and even Cyclop 85/1.2 (sic! but image quality of that one is rather poor). It doesn't have aperture at all, but who needs aperture if you have so thin focus plane Wink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Cyclop, I was wondering how it would look in comparison. FF is definitely the format for best Helios results - it really brings out the flaws in the lens; the flaws are what we now value.

When I first looked at -40°, I thought this must be C and is warmer than F, which I'm more familiar. But no, same temperature? I didn't do the conversion. I have never experienced -40F and do not wish to ever. I have been in below zero F and don't like it much. The last time I was in as cold as +8°F, I got a flat tire from the cold and after changing it had to go back home to thaw out and then worked from home that day. I moved south and this weekend was in 50sF and we were complaining.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Woodrim, +8F is Bikini weather here in Calgary Alberta.last Friday it was - 42C and a windchill made it -52C i.e..2mins.exposure and hello frostbite.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSalles wrote:
Great shots, Nrdentro, the one with the wife in the tunnel is superb, shows exactly the 3 most evident characteristics of this lens which pleases me more: the sharpness, the color rendering and the bokeh,

+1 for #2 image.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Hi Woodrim, +8F is Bikini weather here in Calgary Alberta.last Friday it was - 42C and a windchill made it -52C i.e..2mins.exposure and hello frostbite.

Sounds like living on the dark side of the moon. All I can think is WHY? Do people actually commute in that cold? Cars run? Mine wouldn't. Perhaps you should create an underground tunnel community.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have underground walkway in Montreal,here in Calgary it is 15ft up in air.but we still get around.Regards Kryss

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2 is nice. BTW I am wondering if the reissue Helios40 any good? Have anyone compared the new series with the vintage lenses?

Asimov wrote a story on the theme of minus forty degree. It was a good read especially if you don't know the anecdote beforehand.

Yes folk it is now winter. I know because right here it is _20C_ in the morning and people in the street are wearing colorful _sweaters_.
Wink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pd1987 wrote:
A great lens! I love that swirly bokeh.
I always wanted to get one, but those are really expensive in Poland (cheapest go for $350). There's also a different version of that lens named Cyclop 85/1.5 and even Cyclop 85/1.2 (sic! but image quality of that one is rather poor). It doesn't have aperture at all, but who needs aperture if you have so thin focus plane Wink

Here is one with the Cyclop 1.5. It is basically the same optical formula with different coating. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So great! I wish I got my hands on one of those Smile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to contribute to this thread since I've bought this lens and have had it for 2 months or so and I haven't used it at all! I'm going shoot it on the A7R and the NEX-7+SpeedBooster and see how they compare.

The only thing I know is that this lens is built like a tank, better than my Contax Zeiss.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I don't use it at all, way too heavy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
That's why I don't use it at all, way too heavy.

Also the focusing ring is quite stiff on mine too and I bought it brand new.

It does look like military equipment though haha.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is more from the Cyclop

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible!

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellow! My girlfriend so is not going to like it Wink You're luring me with those photos so much, I want my Cyclop or Helios 85mm! And that means a lot of cash spent on next lens and next metal&glass barrel to place in the living room Wink

Stunning photos!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
kryss wrote:

Sounds like living on the dark side of the moon. All I can think is WHY? Do people actually commute in that cold? Cars run? Mine wouldn't. Perhaps you should create an underground tunnel community.

A little OT chuckle about Canadian winters. I lived in Montreal for over 20 years and I miss them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I didn't think my -40 comment would create such a shock, if you're dressed for it, it's not that bad, the wind is much worse, it just sucks the heat out of you, it has since warmed up some, the following week it was -18c and felt like spring... Cold but much more bearable, thankfully -40 doesn't happen very often and only lasts a week, it makes you appreciate the warmer temps, I never complain it's too warm.
The camera didn't break, but I wasn't out all that long, maybe 10 minutes, I couldn't focus one of my lenses as it froze solid, I relubed it and it should handle low temps better now.

I did briefly have the Helios 40, but it was serviced just before it was put on eBay, and the elements were put in wrong causing them to touch in the centre, vibration in shipping caused damage to the coatings of two of the elements involved. Sad
I never got around to buying another.
I wish I had a mint one, thanks for posting pics from it.